Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
TGping
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFire76 View Post
Hey TGPing! Wow! Thank you so much! That was very informative and very very helpful!

I called smoothon about their pressure pot but the guy that I spoke to wasn't too well informed about it. But I saw their instruction PDF and that was somewhat helpful.

I found a pressure pot specifically for casting and molding on the bay for $410 and the pot looks exactly like the one on Smooth on but uses Black teflon steel or something.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to do it myself or to have a pro do it for me. I create waste molds for stuff I want to transfer to wax and I want to learn how to cast and mold properly as well. I think the only thing that was setting me back was the cost and not knowing the process. It was the same with learning wax... but now I love it... so maybe I'll experience the same with pressure casting?

Really... thanks again TGPing!!
No problem! I imagine the way you feel about wax is the way I feel about molding/casting with a pressure pot, I absolutley love it and will continue doing it for as long as i can.

Do remember, the initial startup costs are a lot, after that though all you have to buy are the molding materials themselves, rubber and resin. And clay and measuring cups. Oh, stock up on cardboard and lego, I make my mold boxes out of lego(just buy a 20 pound bag from a yardsale). I'll see about making my own short tutorial in a bit, about to make a new mold tomorrow.

After one or two kits you really earn it all back.

Oh, these vids really helped me pull the trigger on the investment, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcnztuA0x48 I only use pressure for my molds and resins, no vacuum chambers.

I tested an unpressurized mold with a pressurized resin cast and there were a ton of tiny bubble impressions. Nothing I couldnt sand off... but now I just pressure mold everything and I dont have that problem at all.

Once you start you cant stop! I could honestly say I might try and make a career out of nothing but molding. I dont put this amount of work into anything, but I regularly do 14+ hour workdays with molding.
TGping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Wow... That's a lot of Molding!! You actually make this sound like it's actual fun! Hahahah... I may have to go on your advice and just bite the buller! I'm going to have to check out that video!!

Oh man... that sucks about the pressurized resin in non-pressurized mold. I have alot of non-pressurized molds that I recycle to make new waste molds. Live and Learn.

Man... now you got me all excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGping View Post
No problem! I imagine the way you feel about wax is the way I feel about molding/casting with a pressure pot, I absolutley love it and will continue doing it for as long as i can.

Do remember, the initial startup costs are a lot, after that though all you have to buy are the molding materials themselves, rubber and resin. And clay and measuring cups. Oh, stock up on cardboard and lego, I make my mold boxes out of lego(just buy a 20 pound bag from a yardsale). I'll see about making my own short tutorial in a bit, about to make a new mold tomorrow.

After one or two kits you really earn it all back.

Oh, these vids really helped me pull the trigger on the investment, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcnztuA0x48 I only use pressure for my molds and resins, no vacuum chambers.

I tested an unpressurized mold with a pressurized resin cast and there were a ton of tiny bubble impressions. Nothing I couldnt sand off... but now I just pressure mold everything and I dont have that problem at all.

Once you start you cant stop! I could honestly say I might try and make a career out of nothing but molding. I dont put this amount of work into anything, but I regularly do 14+ hour workdays with molding.
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #23
jayco35
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Here are some videos I did on molding and casting and affordable vacuum set up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jayco40?...hmeon_blue.png
jayco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Hey Jayco35,

Thank you sir! I've been following your tutorials for a while... didn't realize you had more updates! I'll be sure to check them out.
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
astromerc
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Wow! Am I late to the party, but I found this today after reading all of this great info.

It is a great tutorial on how to pressure cast, hope this helps others.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/hHIpGewFhnY
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote