Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Roar12
Frackin!

What do you all collect?

Hello.
I'm just starting my statue collection and was wondering if you all just collect statues or do you also collect figures?
I was on the Sideshow site and seen that a lot of the figures look awesome!!
I know a lot of statues have a limited amount made which make them more valuable but are some figures limited also?
was just wondering which way I should go.
Thank you
Roar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
xforce
Hydra

You have asked a multi part question. Most statues have a limited run some bowen statues are as low as 500 some sideshow are as high as 7500

You want to decide what size you want to collect 1/10 (small) 1/6 or 1/4 this will help you decide what companies you can collect

I collect 1/6 so I like Randy Bowen, Kotobukiya and some smaller sideshow comiquettes. If you like 1/4 sideshow and XM will be more what you will be looking at

For after market value its ES size but more than that its how sought after the statue is due to its sculpt.

You should decide on what you like. Are you into comic book statues? Do you like the movie version or the comic book version? do you like Marvel or DC characters? do you like video game statues like Ryu?

My most important advise is come up with an idea of what you want. I collect mostly 1/6 comic (mostly marvel) they are comic book based not movie. I prefer bowen but collect Kotobukiya fine art and DC direct. I may also dabble in the new HXM 1/6 line. I use to have 1/4 statues, Star wars, props, movie stuff, star trek and I am now focusing my collection

There is a lot of awesome stuff to buy and only so much money
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Roar12
Frackin!

Thanks for the info!!

I really like the movie and comic 1/6 scale statues.

I was curious about the figures at sideshow because they look great and do cost usually a couple 100 $$ at least.

But I don't care for the ones that have the joints showing.

I live in Canada and some places don't ship there.

Are the figures something that a lot people collect?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar12 View Post
Thanks for the info!!

I was curious about the figures at sideshow because they look great and do cost usually a couple 100 $$ at least.

Thanks
Hot Toys and Sideshow 1/6 scale are very popular. Hot Toys has their own section on statueforum.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Thanks for the info!!

Thanks
Yes hot toys figures are very popular, I prefer statues but its preference. They do run between 200-400 for most hot toys these days.

For 1/6 check out bowen designs (he is out of business currently) but his statues are some of the best 1/6 and can be had on ebay.

Kotobukiya fine arts statues are nice also check out the new black panther being released by them

check out the forums and look around lot of good info
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Roar12
Frackin!

Thx again guys for all the info!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Welcome to the forums Roar12.

Xforce gave some great advice, and I would second it.

Do try and figure out what you are really into and limit yourself some to that, otherwise it can run away from you rapidly (I started last year's summer and boy did it get away from me at the beginning of this year, and trying to reign back now).

The decision between 1/6th and smaller and doing the large stuff 1/4th, 1/3rd and larger is something to give thought to. You can do a lot of the smaller stuff and not run out of space quickly, but if you start doing 1/4th or larger then be prepared to be buying a new Besta/Stuva (ikea is your new love) for every ~3-5 pieces depending on size of base. This can have you running out of room quickly. I started with a couple 1/6th pieces from my local comic shop, and mainly stuck with them, but started grabbing some 1/4th this year, but realized that it is too large for me and my space, so have been trading/selling them off to make room for the stuff i want to focus on (smaller scale statues and figures).

Prices really depend on what is happening at the time and how many people are talking about that piece, or the character/sculptor/team/ect. For instance, the Bowen Antman statues were pretty affordable before the movie came out, but if you look now they have more than doubled in some instances. Both statues and figures come in limited runs (sometimes figures will be unlimited). If you are doing figures be careful of knockoffs. General good advice is to not buy any figures off of eBay that are shipping from China, because their recasting is prolific there (it is not just a cheap version, they can also have material defects and other issues based on how they did the knockoff).

And that is where an important lesson comes in. Do not rush. Wait and keep your eyes open and you can find great deals on pieces, if you rush you will pay out the nose for it 90% of the time.

If you want to see what is out there here are a few sites to look on:
People's collection pages in the Collector's Corner section of the forums is a great way to see what is out there and what people have done for their displays.

If you are in an area where you can't get stuff shipped to you then asking around on here you can find plenty of us that will be glad to help you by getting it shipped to us and then shipping it out to you ourselves.

Since you were talking about figures, here are the sites I use to get mine. It is wise to look on all of them and compare prices as they will have differences many times and a couple of them sell used versions (they are rated and have been in good condition every time i have gotten one):
Also, if you are on facebook (fb) then there are many groups on there that are dedicated to BST (buy/sell/trade).

Anything else just ask away.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Roar12
Frackin!

Thanks again for all the help!
I do like the 1/6 statues in which my first was the Rorshach statue from The Watchmen but the figures also have alot of detail and some lòok really cool, except like i said ( i dont like the visible joints).
Im in Canada and may order a couple things from sideshow and see how that goes.

Thanks again and more info is always welcomed.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help!
I do like the 1/6 statues in which my first was the Rorshach statue from The Watchmen but the figures also have alot of detail and some lòok really cool, except like i said ( i dont like the visible joints).
Im in Canada and may order a couple things from sideshow and see how that goes.

Thanks again and more info is always welcomed.

There is a distinction to be made there. "Figures" means static, "articulated" or "action" figures are the ones with joints (visible or hidden). I completely agree with you on not liking the visible joints, which is why all mine are static ones.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Hello.
I'm just starting my statue collection and was wondering if you all just collect statues or do you also collect figures?
I pretty much stick to statues as I just don't have the room for figures. I do buy the occasional figure, but not very often. I just have too many collecting hobbies to become serious about figures as well. I did start collecting Kotobukiya Bishoujos, but I am very picky on which ones I buy and only have 7 to date.

Again, I just have too many collecting hobbies. I am basically a collecting junkie. Just to give you a basic idea, I collect statues (with some figures here and there), prints/lithographs (mostly limited editions), replica weapons (mostly sci-fi), art books, sketch books, comics (mostly silver age, golden age and 1st appearances), anything Michael Turner related, Vampirella Magazines (just completed my collection a few weeks back - thinking of continuing on by adding foreign versions), Heavy Metal magazines, original comic art/commissions, antique/vintage camera's and lenses, antique/vintage Kodak memorabilia, antique/vintage Orange Crush memorabilia, wildlife stamps, precious metal art bars and precious metal wildlife coins, limited edition playing cards (mostly through Kickstarter and Bicycle Club 808), vintage denim, vintage Belstaff and Barbour jackets. vintage Red Wing boots, video games systems and games, Etc. Again, it seems like every year I have a new collecting hobby. If I didn't already have so many collecting hobbies, I would probably be far more serious about figures, especially Hot Toys.

Not to mention, my father passed his collectibles on to me when he passed so I have an huge collection of stock/railroad certificates and coins, but I just keep those in a a couple of safety deposit boxes and am not actively collecting them myself.

As for which way you should go. it depends on the amount of space you have and how much your budget is. If you have a decent amount of money to spend on a somewhat regular basis and want high quality, I would suggest sticking with statues. If your looking to spend less of don't have a lot of space then I would recommend figures. Of course, you could always just collect both, based on the releases you really like. There is no rulebook saying its either one of the other. My advice would be to set high standards.Don't just run around buying aimlessly due to liking a particular character. Save your money, be patient and wait for the releases that really spark your interest, be it statues or figures. That is definitely the route I would recommend. Just forget about the whole statue/figure definition and just buy what you really like.

Welcome to the forum!!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote