Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Think about donating to the military. I sent 3 boxes about 4 years ago and got a nice thank-you from some Colonel.
I tried this, but couldn't find any military willing/able to take them.

Quote:
You get a receipt from Goodwill showing the donation. You then assign fair market value to what you donated. As LNG as no 1 item is over a certain amount ($500???) you do not need to show proof of purchase.

You could use overstreet price, or cover price or $1 a book - I have generally assigned a value of a buck a book considering most cost 2 or 3
Thanks, Bill! This helps a ton. Maybe I'll do this for next year.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
ratchet
Mandarin

A few years ago I sent a whole bunch of my reader copies and sent them to my cousin in Afganistan. Didn't worry about a write off then - most comic shops are filled to the brim with 90s comics - so they probably won't give you near anything for them.

eBay is tricky - and with comics you have to be real patient when selling them. If you're just looking to unload them - just wait a month and give them away at Halloween instead of candy. That's what I do
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
Do comic shops still buy old comics? I have a couple of thousand from the 90s and early 2000s when my son read them--usually once and then into storage. They are all in great shape and just in boxes in the attic. I'm starting to clear out old stuff in the attic, including all the comics, a few hundred TPBs, DVDs, Video games, etc. It seems a shame to toss the comics. Alternatively I might donate them and take a tax writeoff which I could aways use. But any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Comic shops are the worse bet. They will barely give you anything.

First, condition is key. "Great shape" comics in boxes without bags and boards could be VF. Which is not good for 90s / 2000s comics. Since they don't go for much unless key issues.

Second, find the key issues. Either sell those individually or group them with others in the series in lots. For example Marvel comics, Mutants, Justice League, etc.

Try eBay first. Or trading with other comic shops. My Comic Shop or Mile High Comics offer more when you trade and buy from them.

CGC if you have something really good. That will boost the value.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Comic shops are the worse bet. They will barely give you anything.

First, condition is key. "Great shape" comics in boxes without bags and boards could be VF. Which is not good for 90s / 2000s comics. Since they don't go for much unless key issues.

Second, find the key issues. Either sell those individually or group them with others in the series in lots. For example Marvel comics, Mutants, Justice League, etc.

Try eBay first. Or trading with other comic shops. My Comic Shop or Mile High Comics offer more when you trade and buy from them.

CGC if you have something really good. That will boost the value.
Might even try StatueForum.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

I have never even considered using my books as a tax write-off.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I have never even considered using my books as a tax write-off.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Just find somewhere reputable to donate them. Take pics and get a receipt. That's what I do with donations and then turn them over to my accountant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Might even try StatueForum.
Can I post them on here, or do I have to reup Adamantium which I've been meaning to do.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post

Can I post them on here, or do I have to reup Adamantium which I've been meaning to do.

I think eBay is free now.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Although I collected comics myself years ago unfortunately I don't know key books from Adam. There could be some semi-decent issues that end up being given away. I'll try to do a cross reference on ebay and see if I can see issues selling that we also have. I did put a few lots up with low starting prices to test the waters. There are a few watchers but who knows. If they only go at or around the starting amount it's probably more trouble than it's worth and I'll seek out a school or library to accept. Worst case I'll drop at Goodwill and take the tax writeoff.

EDIT: checking out sold listings on ebay wasn't a bad idea. There's much more activity than I thought. I saw several runs that sold--a few for a decent amount. Nothing earth shattering but not bad. My concern was that these would have to be graded in order to sell. Probably 85%-90% of the books in the collection that were bought new were read once then bagged and boarded so they would likely grade decently. I think I just need need to take a day to go through everything.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote