Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 10-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
qz33
Doctor Doom

This is not a Bowen Bashing Thread!

Ok so I've recently accquired several Bowens at nice aftermarket prices and become quite a fan.

I really like the look of so many pieces and especially the paint. I have seen it commented that Bowen has a way of really capturing the comic book essence of many characters and I fully agree.

Love the emphasis put on the sculptor. I realy think all statue companies could learn from that. Bowen has commissioned some of the best sculptors

However I cannot see myself making purchases at retail of $225.00+ if/when production resumes.

So basically with the pause (or end depending on your point of view) in Bowen's production I have been thinking what could Bowen change to better compete in the current market landscape?

Personally I would like to see larger pieces. Wouldn't have to be full on 1/4 If he could do 1/4.5 or even 1/5 and charge right at or a bit under $300 a piece like PCS does I would be totally onboard. These things are too nice to be so small.

I know that Randy is a bit infamous for doing his own thing and that has worked out really well so far but I have at least my own personal doubts about it working going forward. What would you like to see to get you to spend money?

More dynamic poses?
Better paint details?
More sculpt details?
Better character selection?
Revisits?
Lower prices?
Don't change a thing?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Don't change a thing. He has no competition in the 1/6 scale which I prefer. I typically buy his stuff through resellers (e.g. DCBS or Ebay) rather than directly through Bowen.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Jeremy
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Don't change a thing. He has no competition in the 1/6 scale which I prefer. I typically buy his stuff through resellers (e.g. DCBS or Ebay) rather than directly through Bowen.
Totally agree
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
I would have put money that you would be the first to reply and I listed don't change a thing thinking of you.

I have really become a Bowen fan but the only thing I have paid retail for was Mojo which was my first one.

I just find myself really wanting them larger compared to everything else I have. Maybe do a deluxe limited edition of some where they are exactly the same but larger?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I don't see much wrong with the way Bowen handles their product other than the constantly rising prices. They've been better than most companies about meeting release dates and offering solid QC. Maybe they could stand to get their scale issues under control a little more. The increased focus on digital sculpting has resulted in a lot more statues that are either either too small or too large.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

Quote:

Only thing Bowen needs to do is be more consistent with their scale. Some look 1:6, while others look more 1:7.

IMO, Bowen's quality is unmatchable...though XM is already looking strong. They're still the new kids on the block though. When they get 10+ years of consistent quality statues...they can take that crown.
Hellsbells51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Personally, I like the Bowen scale and I see no need for it to change. Bowen Designs hits a niche in the market that hardly has any competition but reaches a large percentage of the consumers. Only Kotobukiya and in some extend Gentłe Giant are able to compete but they are still years away of the level of BD.

As someone that started collecting in the late 90's (1999 to be exact), I have seen the industry change and supersize quite a bit. Back in those days, we were content with the 1/10 and 1/7 scale statues because those were all we ever got. Right when I got married (in 2004), I took a 5 year break just to make it back to the Sideshow's 1/4 and 1/5 statue craze days. Like everyone else, I bought into it until I ran out of room and new display ideas. That is when I made the decision to go back to the smaller scale statues that brought me into the hobby in the first place.

the major asset of 1/6 and 1/7 scale pieces is its smaller size. They are easier to display, easier to clean and easier to store. 1/4 and 1/5 scale pieces always present challenges whether in how to display them or where to put them. You can always make room for small pieces but it is almost impossible when you are dealing with large size statues in a reduced area. That is why some collectors have multiple collection rooms, but not everybody can afford to relinquish valuable living space. At least, this is my personal case.

What I have come to know over the years is that most Bowen collectors grew up reading comics. This is not necessarily the case for Sideshow, PopCultureShock and the new XM Studios collectors. Mainly, these collectors are pop culture aficionados rather than Comic lore connoisseurs. Therefore, their lack of interest for anything that resembles the art and the attitude portraited in comics. This is where Randy's company shines over the others. I have own many pieces, from almost all of the companies, and regardless of the size I can say with total certainty that I enjoy my Bowen and Kotobukiya pieces the most. They make me feel like a kid again. I have never felt this way with pieces from other producers, mixed media or not.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I have own many pieces, from almost all of the companies, and regardless of the size I can say with total certainty that I enjoy my Bowen and Kotobukiya pieces the most. They make me feel like a kid again. I have never felt this way with pieces from other producers, mixed media or not.
Hear hear, JPsarri. I feel the same way. My collection ranges in size from Batman B&W pieces to Sideshow's Premium Formats. The 1/6 scale is where my heart lies. Easier to display and less taxing on the wallet when you consider edition size and quality. As such, I feel Bowen shouldn't change a thing. His quirky character selection is what sets him apart from ANYONE else. I do think he needs to keep his statues closer to 1/6 scale like Jean Grey, Spider-Woman (on gargoyle), and the Fantastic Four. Other than that, here's hoping he makes a comeback sooner than later.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I second the notion that Bowen doesn't need to change a thing (other than get back in the game!).

I just started this year and most of my stuff is Bowen, I have really loved his take on the pieces. Now just to buy a new Magneto Action Statue (yes I am getting XM's but this was one of my firsts and was so sad when I screwed up and broke him :'( ) and a Wanda action variant to go with him.

I have 2 different spideys from him, and looking to get a couple more when I have the money for it. I love that he has done so many of the suits and really would like to see him do the rest as there are so many great ones (please do an Iron, Superior, Scarlet (Kain), and 2099 all in action poses with good bases like the "Back in Black" and "Scarlet Spidey (Ben Reilly)").
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Personally, I like the Bowen scale and I see no need for it to change. Bowen Designs hits a niche in the market that hardly has any competition but reaches a large percentage of the consumers. Only Kotobukiya and in some extend Gentłe Giant are able to compete but they are still years away of the level of BD.

As someone that started collecting in the late 90's (1999 to be exact), I have seen the industry change and supersize quite a bit. Back in those days, we were content with the 1/10 and 1/7 scale statues because those were all we ever got. Right when I got married (in 2004), I took a 5 year break just to make it back to the Sideshow's 1/4 and 1/5 statue craze days. Like everyone else, I bought into it until I ran out of room and new display ideas. That is when I made the decision to go back to the smaller scale statues that brought me into the hobby in the first place.

the major asset of 1/6 and 1/7 scale pieces is its smaller size. They are easier to display, easier to clean and easier to store. 1/4 and 1/5 scale pieces always present challenges whether in how to display them or where to put them. You can always make room for small pieces but it is almost impossible when you are dealing with large size statues in a reduced area. That is why some collectors have multiple collection rooms, but not everybody can afford to relinquish valuable living space. At least, this is my personal case.

What I have come to know over the years is that most Bowen collectors grew up reading comics. This is not necessarily the case for Sideshow, PopCultureShock and the new XM Studios collectors. Mainly, these collectors are pop culture aficionados rather than Comic lore connoisseurs. Therefore, their lack of interest for anything that resembles the art and the attitude portraited in comics. This is where Randy's company shines over the others. I have own many pieces, from almost all of the companies, and regardless of the size I can say with total certainty that I enjoy my Bowen and Kotobukiya pieces the most. They make me feel like a kid again. I have never felt this way with pieces from other producers, mixed media or not.
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote