Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 AM   #3261
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokritz17 View Post

opinions are the worst right?

Agreed. This was about as enjoyable to follow as the mortgage discussion on the Huntress PF thread. I don't disagree with the most of the compliments or flaws pointed out for XM's Thor, but all the 1:4 Thor pieces are going for different things. It serves little purpose to rank them against one another. Once place I'll chime in though is that I feel the criticism toward the outstretched hand on the Modern PF is overblown. It's designed to present an exaggerated perspective, just like XM's presents exaggerated musculature to convey his otherworldly strength. That may mean it has an ideal display angle compared to XM's but it's not a flaw. Comparatively, I think the outstretched switch-out hand on XM's Jane Foster Thor looks awkwardly undersized from a similar perspective, despite being anatomically consistent.

I appreciate Sideshow taking more risks with poses because they are top dog and thus in a position to do so. I applaud XM taking similar risks with their oversized bases, whose mileage varies for a lot of collectors. There's too many options out there for 1:4 scale pieces to worry about definitive character representations. I said this elsewhere on the Freaks board, but it feels like that role has moved more to 1:3 pieces, especially now that we're even getting 1:4 action figures.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #3262
grphyx1
Kingpin

In this market it is great to have alternatives. I think XM has spawned a healthy competition with SS. Not like either is throwing down the gauntlet in a taunting fashion. They just bring something different to the table. When it comes to the two I think that peeps should be allowed to say things in an objective, respectable manner without the constant bickering since it'll rarely change anybody's POV. That said, I love my Bowen spinning hammer Thor and I feel it's the iconic image for me so I am not on the look out for an additional Thor regardless of how amazing everybody else may present XM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Agreed. This was about as enjoyable to follow as the mortgage discussion on the Huntress PF thread. I don't disagree with the most of the compliments or flaws pointed out for XM's Thor, but all the 1:4 Thor pieces are going for different things. It serves little purpose to rank them against one another. Once place I'll chime in though is that I feel the criticism toward the outstretched hand on the Modern PF is overblown. It's designed to present an exaggerated perspective, just like XM's presents exaggerated musculature to convey his otherworldly strength. That may mean it has an ideal display angle compared to XM's but it's not a flaw. Comparatively, I think the outstretched switch-out hand on XM's Jane Foster Thor looks awkwardly undersized from a similar perspective, despite being anatomically consistent.

I appreciate Sideshow taking more risks with poses because they are top dog and thus in a position to do so. I applaud XM taking similar risks with their oversized bases, whose mileage varies for a lot of collectors. There's too many options out there for 1:4 scale pieces to worry about definitive character representations. I said this elsewhere on the Freaks board, but it feels like that role has moved more to 1:3 pieces, especially now that we're even getting 1:4 action figures.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #3263
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali604 View Post
Thats ur opinion. If I think an XM piece isnt that great I call it as is. But you just called this portrait as terrible and ur raving about SS paint?! so in my opinion u just sound like a fanboy. As Rhy mentioned this Thor looks exactly like Walt Simonson art from the comics and I agree. Good thing there are options out so the people singing Odes to SS are more than welcome to get those ones.
Cal, I am not singing Odes and I didn't rave about SS paint jobs. I think they use better colors. Paint jobs a different story. XM paints in the lines of detail most excellent.
Dude this Thor does not look Exactely like a Simonson Thor. If it did I wouldn't have sold mine
To each is own though
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #3264
adee
Green Arrow

I like all the quarter scale Thors. I'm a classics guy so the newest SS PF didn't really appeal to me but I think it's a cool piece.

I love both the SS OG and XM but for me XM made more sense for my display.

Now please XM give me a Loki with a small base so I can display them together.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #3265
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Glad y'all like it, but the SS modern Thor is 10x's better than this.

I....can't....stop..... The exaggeration is killing me....lol.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #3266
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Cal, I am not singing Odes and I didn't rave about SS paint jobs. I think they use better colors. Paint jobs a different story. XM paints in the lines of detail most excellent.
Dude this Thor does not look Exactely like a Simonson Thor. If it did I wouldn't have sold mine
To each is own though
Its just the way you approached it, but I agree to each their own. SSC has a different style with mixed media, generally museum poses and realistic looks that works for them. XM has a more comic look, with generally larger bases that reflect the character. They both have various pros and cons. The one guy noted his Bowen is his favorite. That's what amazes me is people called this Thor 'just a 1/4 scale Bowen' I don't see how being compared to Bowen can be a negative, Bowen sculpts look beautiful. The Bowen spinning hammer is one of the best Thors out there, I almost bought him myself, but I decided to go 1/4 scale. Bowen really nailed it with his characters.

Its good for collectors to have several options out there to get the one they feel is best suited for them. Hopefully the healthy competition just causes the companies to try to produce better products.
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #3267
built2shred
Phoenix

Just an update about my pre-order's I had with mark awhile back, he contacted by e-mail today and apologize for the long delay but he still had my statues in storage. I guess he had so many orders back then emails got lost but he finally saw my emails and contacted me. Since I already bought those statues from other venders (since I didn't hear back from him) he's going to refund my deposits...

So if anyone wants a Thor, Wolverine, Phoenix or Ms. Marvel they can contact him...

I guess he's also having some health issues, so I want to wish him the best and to get well soon!!!
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #3268
Hannibal10
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I received XM Thor today. Unfortunately, the cape doesn't fit in the key holes . If I put the left peg in (without the metal rod), then the metal rod is off-center from the hole in the key on the right side by about 3-4mm.

If I put the metal rod in first, then the left key ends up sitting on top of the shoulder, a few mm off center as well.

Any advice?
Hannibal10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 PM   #3269
craigcliff1
Zot

I mostly grind the pegs.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #3270
Hannibal10
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
I mostly grind the pegs.
The polystone portion? Or the metal portion?
Hannibal10 is offline   Reply With Quote