Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
But don't you all think that there has to be a fraction of comic book movie fans who are so turned on by a hero they see on film, or that their kids see on film, that they'd want to own (touch & have) original comic books that said heroes came from? A fan so empowered & thrilled by what he/she saw in Wonderwoman, who now would like to own their own stack of ww comics? An Ant Man fan who'd now like some silver-age Ant Man books on their shelves, etc...? Have original comics so lost their status that none of the new, movie-fans even care?
This kind of happened to me. I watched Guardians of The Galaxy and really liked it so i got War of Kings Omnibuses which has all Abnett Guardians of The Galaxy run in it and from there i will probably get Bendis Guardians of Galaxy Omnibus.

But there is no freaking way that i will get the Guardians of the Galaxy Classic by Jim Valentino Omnibus... WTF is that, where are Star Lord, Rocket, Drax, Groot and Gamora ?!?!?! the characters on the cover of the omni looks so lame... So old is not always gold. But actually, with single issues, you don't buy those old comics to read anyway, they are just investment. You get them slabed or something.

What you get for reading is Omnibus If it doesn't look like a piece of crap like the Guardians of Galaxy Classic Omni... And i don't need comics investment.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
protector2814
Phoenix

LOL(we all like different books at times) - I actually purchased 2 Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel Premier Classics a few years back & really enjoyed them. They were of the old, original team; pre-Starlord, Groot, etc... Great Bronze age cosmic stuff.

Originally, as he appeared back in the b&w Curtis mag., Marvel Preview, Star-Lord wasn't much like the modern take at all. Have you ever read reprints of the original Star-Lord?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

No, i haven't read any Guardians of The Galaxy comics yet. I just checked out the original Star Lord and no, i'm not into him, unless he's like the film version. I liked the Films and that's what i signed up for.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
ftrez
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
But don't you all think that there has to be a fraction of comic book movie fans who are so turned on by a hero they see on film, or that their kids see on film, that they'd want to own (touch & have) original comic books that said heroes came from? A fan so empowered & thrilled by what he/she saw in Wonderwoman, who now would like to own their own stack of ww comics? An Ant Man fan who'd now like some silver-age Ant Man books on their shelves, etc...? Have original comics so lost their status that none of the new, movie-fans even care?
Nope. The concept of back issues is foreign to non-comics readers. As is the value of a first appearance. If I encountered Wonder Woman for the first time in theatres and was so enamored by the character I'd go into a comic shop and pick up the latest issue of WW off the shelf.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
SONICobra
Batman

for the most part i enjoy comic book based movies however i HATE how they are influencing the books themselves. im so frustrated with marvel right now ive just about stopped reading them. dc is getting more of my attention lately but overall im focusing on older tpb's and omnibuses

i recently moved and the lcs here only carries about 15 monthly titles and only what they consider "popular" so im at a bit of a crossroads trying to decide what to do...
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #16
protector2814
Phoenix

Completely forgot when I started this thread but I sold my Walking Dead books, 1-125 + specials, all well-read, for $2000 a year & half back. I'm positive it was because of the popularity of the show. Not a movie mind you, but regular issue sales influenced by the popularity of media.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #17
fazzyfaz
Death is hereditary.

I asked my local comic store owner numerous times over the movie years if he sees an uptick or spike with movies vs comic sales. He said no, not at all. Other than Walking Dead which is TV , there is none. He says the average reader/collector who spend decent money are in their 40's / 50's. I am 47. We spent time discussing the Superhero movies and came to a few personal conclusions: 1) Dc makes ----ty movies but makes good comics and Marvel makes awesome movies and ----ty comics in general. 2) Trying to take every classic character and revamp the characters to make them multicultural for the sake of diversity is a waste. If the buyers (mostly) are 40/50 year olds we want the characters we know. You want diverse characters? Write new ones for a new generation, stop ----ing around with classics. Mosaic is a good example of a new character that is pretty cool and diverse. 3) The store owner ( who is in his late 60's) says these superhero movie time now will become the western craze in movies and tv of the 50's/60's. Westerns were everywhere and associated items sold well ( costumes, guns, toys, comics )... And then died a death to "space" genre... A la Star Trek and Star Wars...in the late 60's/70's/80's....and died out too..until movies and tv hit on "the next big thing" Superheros will reign supreme, but when the winds of change come, the comic market will still comtinue to age out and he feels we have 20 years tops before nearly all of the comic stores dry up for good....ebay will be the place for old collectors go to to finish up runs or pick up keys with slabbing being the most reliable "currency" for any investment/return left. Just my thoughts.
fazzyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote