Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Actually, I'm wondering how much longer Armageddon is going to last? They did one show in Adelaide and never returned and I believe the Melbourne show is supported by their NZ shows.
Yeah, I gotta honestly say, I am a little worried as well! I mean, the previous year was decent! But last year was just ugh…dunno what happened! Esp with the amount of artists that are wanting to come down to melbourne/Australia.
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Actually, I'm wondering how much longer Armageddon is going to last? They did one show in Adelaide and never returned and I believe the Melbourne show is supported by their NZ shows.
I have to echo these sentiments, as much as I think Scotty, Bill and Rob are good guys, Armageddon has for me been the least enjoyable con of the past two years.

They cater well to their target market, which is sci fi, but Supanova and Oz Comic-Con have moved so far beyond just the sci fi mold. Attendees are demanding more and more every year and so far only Nova and OzCon are delivering on these demands.

Comic talent is one of the most obvious gaps with Armageddon. I have been working to try and get Carlos Ezquerra to Melbourne, Armageddon in October, but I have my doubts as to the seriousness of Armageddon's enquiry, I'm not sure they have the knowledge on staff to approach these artists and writers with the best chance of getting them out here.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Royd
Producer
Producer

Agreed, there wasn't a huge difference between the 3 shows a few years back but now we're seeing the 2 main cons (Supanova and OzCC) powering ahead with greater numbers of guests and guests who have a large fanbase.

The only real difference in format or type of guests that I can immediately think of between any of the shows is that Supanova caters to the Science-Fiction/Fantasy author fans with a range of popular SF/Fantasy authors (eg. George RR Martin, Raymond Feist, Jim Butcher and many more). The other shows don't have such a section/area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
I have to echo these sentiments, as much as I think Scotty, Bill and Rob are good guys, Armageddon has for me been the least enjoyable con of the past two years.

They cater well to their target market, which is sci fi, but Supanova and Oz Comic-Con have moved so far beyond just the sci fi mold. Attendees are demanding more and more every year and so far only Nova and OzCon are delivering on these demands.

Comic talent is one of the most obvious gaps with Armageddon. I have been working to try and get Carlos Ezquerra to Melbourne, Armageddon in October, but I have my doubts as to the seriousness of Armageddon's enquiry, I'm not sure they have the knowledge on staff to approach these artists and writers with the best chance of getting them out here.

Last edited by Royd; 02-09-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
lordrycon

Quote:
Agreed, there wasn't a huge difference between the 3 shows a few years back but now we're seeing the 2 main cons (Supanova and OzCC) powering ahead with greater numbers of guests and guests who have a large fanbase.

The only real difference in format or type of guests that I can immediately think of between any of the shows is that Supanova caters to the Science-Fiction/Fantasy author fans with a range of popular SF/Fantasy authors (eg. George RR Martin, Raymond Feist, Jim Butcher and many more). The other shows don't have such a section/area.
There must be a little bit of uneasiness around the Supanova camp at the minute. Oz Comic-Con have already proven they could get big guests off their own back such as Stan Lee, Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, and Ron Perlman. It's kinda great to think what are they going to do to top that now they have seemingly unlimited resources and influence.

Queue massive Melbourne Oz Comic-Con guest announcement!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Royd
Producer
Producer

Not really because we knew about the arrangement (they're calling it a "partnership" but it may be a transitional take-over with the current management being phased out after a year or so - but that's just a guess) probably 6-8 months ago (or earlier, I can't recall now).

I'll be VERY interested to see what people think of Supanova's full June guest list which (if they all attend) will be truly massive! I was agog at who will be attending (crossed fingers) in June

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
There must be a little bit of uneasiness around the Supanova camp at the minute. Oz Comic-Con have already proven they could get big guests off their own back such as Stan Lee, Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, and Ron Perlman. It's kinda great to think what are they going to do to top that now they have seemingly unlimited resources and influence.

Queue massive Melbourne Oz Comic-Con guest announcement!!!

Last edited by Royd; 02-09-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
lordrycon

Quote:
Not really because we knew about the arrangement (they're calling it a "partnership" but it may be a transitional take-over with the current management being phased out after a year or so - but that's just a guess) probably 6-8 months ago (or earlier, I can't recall now).

I'll be VERY interested to see what people think of Supanova's full June guest list which (if they all attend) will be truly massive! I was agog at who will be attending (crossed fingers) in June
I am intrigued. I wonder if its the person they were desperate to get last year but who's schedule was too busy... MH?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #17
halfthai
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
I'll be VERY interested if said guests even make it here after being announced
halfthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #18
Royd
Producer
Producer

That happens with any show but generally speaking the comic creator guests have a good record of attendance once announced unless you can cite differently of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfthai View Post
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #19
lordrycon

gah, you guys are killing me with all your guest talk... are they going to announce June guests before or after April tour?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #20
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfthai View Post
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote