Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Well, Asians tend to have smaller things.
J/K
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
batmanmike
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Taz View Post
Wow, were did you get that calculation? I never knew 1/6 meant 12" or 1/4 meant 18". That would actualy make sense if all 1/4 statues were 18" and all 1/6 statues were 12"

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying these scales dont add up logicaly and shouldnt be taken too strictly.
Yes, that's the rules. Some characters are bigger, so in these cases they are made bigger. If you are sculpting Harrison Ford, then he will be around 18" if made in true 1/4 scale. If you are sculpting Thor, which is a bigger character, he will be bigger than 18" and so on.
In the case of Hot Toys, it's obvious they got the scale wrong, just look at the size of the heads and body.
batmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Knowing the 1/6 = 12" and 1/4 = 18" rule makes more sense now. Otherwise if it would literaly mean 1/4 is one fourth of the real life person it would be rather weird. For instance with the Darth Maul PF, if you take 4 of those and put them in upright position on top of each other you would get one seriously dwarfed Maul...then again isnt that the same fault in your calculation?
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
TheGrimReaper
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

1:4 scale would literally mean each unit of measure on the statue represent 4 units of measure on the original that it's based on. So, for example, if Harrison Ford's hand is 4 inches long in real life, it would be 1 inch on the PF.

Some sculptors estimate more than others though. You could get anal and make sure it's perfect or just go with what looks about right.

Sideshow's scales tend to be pretty accurate.
TheGrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
1:4 scale would literally mean each unit of measure on the statue represent 4 units of measure on the original that it's based on. So, for example, if Harrison Ford's hand is 4 inches long in real life, it would be 1 inch on the PF.

Some sculptors estimate more than others though. You could get anal and make sure it's perfect or just go with what looks about right.

Sideshow's scales tend to be pretty accurate.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying, literaly that's what it should mean but it doesnt so it shouldnt (be taken too strictly).
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
batmanmike

Quote:
Knowing the 1/6 = 12" and 1/4 = 18" rule makes more sense now. Otherwise if it would literaly mean 1/4 is one fourth of the real life person it would be rather weird. For instance with the Darth Maul PF, if you take 4 of those and put them in upright position on top of each other you would get one seriously dwarfed Maul...then again isnt that the same fault in your calculation?
Not really. I don't own Maul, but if he is 18", then he would be 72", 1,80m in real life, which is not a dwarf person by any means. I see no fault in that.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
Logan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Hey man, do you have more pics of that Batman bust?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
batmanmike

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying, literaly that's what it should mean but it doesnt so it shouldnt (be taken too strictly).
In the case of Hot Toys, that's a big error, not some subtle forgivable mistake. It is not 1/4 scale by any means. You just need to look at their heads and proportion to know that. Their busts looks to be 1/5 scale.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
Well, Asians tend to have smaller things.
J/K
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Yeah theoreticaly but I dont think anyone in the collectable business, be it maker or collector, asumes that 1:6 is realy 1 sixth of life size, 1:4 etc... They are just scales in general.
So all sculptors use a bull**** scale to determine the height of their sculpt? I don't think so.

If a company is selling me a 1/4 scale statue, then I am expecting the actual height to be "1/4 Scale" of the original character/actor's height.

Ray Park is about 5' 9" (69 inches) and probably a little taller as Darth Maul.

So the SSC PF should be close to 17.25 inches (not including the horns/base/boots, etc)

Maul PF is currently listed at 19" H.

So it's pretty close.

Looks like HT has some explaining to do.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote