Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #101
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersfan57 View Post
I quite collecting a few years ago... But I am excited for what I have now on order...
So you didn't quit. You just paused.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #102
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Even in the somewhat short time I've collected the whole hobby has exploded! Which I think is very cool, so many more companies, statues, artists, techniques, it's a great time to collect - just hard price wise. I do plan on selling all my statues except for 3. My SS Thanos on Throne, Galactus Maquette, and I have a chromed action bowen surfer. I'll sell that surfer WHEN Sideshow comes out with a new one. That will be my little display and I hope to stay happy with it.

I saw a couple people mention feeling the same way and then their life got in order (finances, family, kids) etc. That is a MAJOR factor in my decision. I'm 2 years married, just got 2 dogs and we want to have kids like now. So I need to get in the best position possible for that. Once all that is in a good spot, who knows maybe in several years I'll buy a statue. I'm sure the landscape will be very different.

Like a lot of you also said, you have always been collectors and so have I. I'll probably go back to ol' faithful and just play more video games - I mean a new game is $80 and provides 20-100 hours of entertainment opposed to a $1000 statue that while amazing... kind of sits there LOL. I hope to stick around, and window shop like what was mentioned - just being honest with myself I may just get jealous of not being involved!
Everyone goes through it.

Also, the expense thing is an illusion in this hobby because guess what? If you have a ton of money, or if these things were way cheaper, you'd simply fill up the space you have twice as quickly and end up in a similar crisis of faith.

Everything is about conscious experience, there's literally nothing else. So if you're not enjoying yourself moment to moment, there's no point. No one cares about what you own except you, and only you can derive pleasure from it. If it's not fun, stop. Even if you sell all your stuff, you can always buy it again later. None of this stuff will ever be rare or hard to find; it's only a matter of money. If the opportunity cost of your tied up funds (the psychological cost) exceeds your enjoyment, just let it go and don't worry about it. You can always come back when you have more money, our currency improves, etc. They're toys.

The moment any hobby causes even a little stress, it has defeated its own purpose.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #103
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post

Also, the expense thing is an illusion in this hobby because guess what? If you have a ton of money, or if these things were way cheaper, you'd simply fill up the space you have twice as quickly and end up in a similar crisis of faith.

Everything is about conscious experience, there's literally nothing else. So if you're not enjoying yourself moment to moment, there's no point. No one cares about what you own except you, and only you can derive pleasure from it. If it's not fun, stop. Even if you sell all your stuff, you can always buy it again later. None of this stuff will ever be rare or hard to find; it's only a matter of money. If the opportunity cost of your tied up funds (the psychological cost) exceeds your enjoyment, just let it go and don't worry about it. You can always come back when you have more money, our currency improves, etc. They're toys.

The moment any hobby causes even a little stress, it has defeated its own purpose.
This post should be stickied.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #104
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I think I am just about done with statues. It was fun while it lasted but it is too expensive of a hobby for me. I love them, and I'm sure everyone says it, but it is time for now to sell what I have and focus on other stuff. Living in Canada has proved to be especially tough. For example a "cheaper" Sideshow statue is 599. Right off the top that is about $765 Cdn. After taxes, shipping, customs fees, it is easily $1k. For a cheaper statue. I'm looking at what else I can do with that money like get myself a 4k TV or a PS4 or hell, a new coffee maker or microwave or any number of things I keep putting off that would actually probably bring me more happiness than my collection does recently.

Hopefully I can come back when either I make more money or prices have calmed down due to over inflation.

I will still be waiting for #SideshowSurfer2019 though.

Anyone else successfully get out? And is for some reason still posting here?
Right on.

Its the end of the road for me. I still enjoy seeing what’s coming out though.
I feel that these companies have outpriced collectors and won’t continue with certain tactics pretty soon. It’s a big charade.
I loved my old Bowen’s and my old SS pieces. Now I have it all widdled down to a select few.
It was way easier to let go of my collection than I thought. The two main things I kept in mind were- these are overpriced toys with mediocre execution- these are not the real art/ original sculpt. The price I pay for a PF does not come close to the quality I expect.
Behind those two truths I had the fact of how much room these things take up with boxes. It’s pretty damn excessive.

I do like the Tweeterhead 1:6 DC line that has been coming out, but you know what. There will Always be more and Always be more cheaper on EBay if I ever get back in the game.

For anyone else in the same boat. I would love to know what you kept.

I kept my P1 1:3 Dark Knight
Kotobukiya Wolverine on Sentinel
IA Ironman
SS Bane
SS Aquaman
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #105
Mister H
Gen 13

Just kept 5 huh? I tip my hat to you brother.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #106
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Just kept 5 huh? I tip my hat to you brother.
Yeah, I ate some preorders and won’t lie, I still have the P1 Superman 1:3 on order. It’s easier and easier to be on the outside looking in, I keep seeing high prices, odd titles, redone characters, poor production, non set ES, and so on.
I have been getting back into OA and that can be as expensive as you want. But the costs are legit and warranted. Not half a G at a time.
I will always miss certain pieces but kept the ones I really love. That damn Aquaman is just perfect to me. Lol
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #107
Gothamite
Phoenix

Couldn't get rid of SS Huntress fast enough, huh?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #108
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post

As always COI with the knowledge.

Ryanbusts - all I am keeping is SS Thanos on Throne. Everything else is going and gone!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #109
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Wow, this was a powerful thread. I'm still very new to this particular hobby, but I've been a collector of things for years. The comments are all familiar and things I've gone through.

I wanted to thank everyone who posted for sharing their stories, perspectives, doubts, and words of wisdom.

This year was my first SDCC going as (mostly) a fan... and it was so costly attending from that perspective. It was fun and I'm glad I did it, but I'll be "sticking to the script" from now on. That said, it was a great learning experience speaking with other collectors in person and discovering more about what I like and want to collect.

Personally I plan on my whole collection to fit into the two Detolfs I have. I could be open to a third... and/or a Besta or two. We'll see how things go, but hopefully I'll be like some of you and know when to say "when."
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:01 AM   #110
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Reading through this thread, i can understand where/why people have stopped slowed down etc. Money, space, storage space etc etc.. I have been statue collecting for basically 2 years, in general collecting pretty much all my life. At times becoming a packrat with collectibles having to thin the heard out etc..

Right now, i am running out of space. I am starting to have to put pieces back in boxes, rotating when i want to see certain ones. Eventually, im gonna have to cool my jets and not buy so much. I need to get my own place/house etc. Once I've settled in that house balanced the flow of bills/spending cash ill continue. Just need to make the jump to buying a house
House is offline   Reply With Quote