Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #2811
Peedi
The Secret Six

I don’t mind fabric capes, belts, coats but it depends on the overall execution.

Old Rogue PF jacket and belt, and Gambit PF, I wouldn’t want them any other way than the fabric they have.

Whereas old Batman PF, that cape is weird from some angles, I would’ve preferred sculpted costume and fabric cape like this Magneto.

I’d limit fabric to accessories, unless it’s a mixed costume treatment like the first Spider-Man PF. I think the way that was executed is still pretty cool.

SS in the last few years has given the fabric hating crowd a little bit of what they want by producing more fully sculpted pieces but I think people are kidding themselves because fabric is sideshow’s norm. It's always surprising to me when people complain about sideshow using fabric as if that hasn’t been a part of their PFs from the beginning. Fabric is what sideshow does, like it or not. If anything it should be a surprise when they don’t use fabric to some degree. Compare it to an american restaurant chain, like Red Lobster. You might have dishes with other influences, like Alfredo, but you wouldn’t expect a lot of that because their thing is and always has been seafood. That’s what they do, if you want more Italian food options go elsewhere. Thankfully for everybody, a lot of the characters most people want have multiple collecting options between various companies.

My 1st PF was Black Panther and the fabric cape over detailed sculpting is what drew me in. But that’s just me. Friends and acquaintances of mine who aren’t statue collectors see these statues and none of them have ever been put off by fabric. More than that, go to various conventions and people swarm around sideshow’s pieces, fabric or not. They just like to see characters they like looking cool.

Also of note, Sideshow doesn’t call them Premium Format Statues. They are Premium Format Figures and now Maquettes. We might not always get the labeling system, and the way they name things changes over time, but they are pretty distinctive in what they label a statue or not.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #2812
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
It's always surprising to me when people complain about sideshow using fabric as if that hasn’t been a part of their PFs from the beginning. Fabric is what sideshow does, like it or not. If anything it should be a surprise when they don’t use fabric to some degree.
In contrast to my earlier post I think you are right. I still stand by my sculpt-preference but you are right...SS does specialize in fabrics regarding PFs.

I think this is where’s the variance is...

With the increased cost of statues I expect more craftsmanship and I attribute better craftsmanship with complex sculpting. I see lots of fabric and light material based mass production as being lazy. Mass production of PVC based paint applications and textiles makes me question the value.

I will say that what we expect as buyers is muddy. I will also say that I think this could have been better handled with consistency. Lex Luthor is a PF yet there is not a shred of fabric wher superman is covered in fabric. Iron Man comiquette holds a fabric American flag where Spider-Man doesn’t have a shred of fabric. We have a fully sculpted Thanos maquette versus a mixed media magneto. So this has been made confusing.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #2813
fsdre
Mephisto

I am surprised there is no buzz on this piece?
fsdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #2814
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I think this piece looks great... I just can't afford it haha
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #2815
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdre View Post
I am surprised there is no buzz on this piece?
Price and the original sculpt controversy killed the momentum.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #2816
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post

Sculpted capes done right blow any fabric cape away. Also they don't break down and get dirty, And the masses agree too.. Look at Superman p1 sculpted cape version SOLD OUT not the fabric one.Sideshow wants to make fabric capes so be it but make 2 versions then so everybody is happy.
Exactly. I hate fabric on statues. Keep the fabric on dolls.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #2817
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Does anyone know if magneto was a production piece
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #2818
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

fabric and mixed media in general used to be the premium in premium format. It’s what sideshow built it’s name on. And while I do like fully sculpted pieces, I also think mixed media was what gave sideshow so much charm and helped them stand out back before statue collecting blew up. I’ve never liked the body suits because it’s just so hard to make them look as tight as they should be, but when it comes to loose clothes and accessories like belts and capes I still love to see it. The Nathan Drake pf is a perfect example of how good mixed media can work.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #2819
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Does anyone know if magneto was a production piece
I believe it was.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #2820
aa909
The Green Hornet

I prefer full sculpt as well, but all my fabric/vinyl capes from Prime 1 and SS look pretty good after I get them posed properly.

What's really odd is how much complaining there is about the fabric cape on this statue but people are calling the Thor Breaker of Brimstone "statue of the year" already and it also has a fabric cape.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote