Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: Realistic face vs comic face for female comic book character?
I prefer comic face like first OG Poison Ivy for example 13 25.49%
I prefer realistic face, like new Poison Ivy, new Elektra 15 29.41%
I prefer realistic face when it's pretty, like new Wonder Woman 29 56.86%
I think Sideshow has gone wrong with some face lately... 4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Realistic face vs comic face?

Sideshow seems to use more realistic face for their statue based on comic book character...

Personnaly I prefer comic face for comic character but I also like realistic look (Red Sonja She Devil, New WW PF)...when it's done right!!

Now I have the feeling that some faces aren't done right and looks very "manly" (Zatanna, New Poison Ivy, New Elektra, New Black Widow, etc.. ) and some people justify this poor execution by saying "it's more realistic"...

I'm sorry but "bad" doesn't justify by "realistic". Why we can't have pretty realistic face?

One of the main reason I love(d?) Sideshow is because they have (had?) the best female sculpt in the business. Now, I'm not so sure...

What do you think? What do you prefer?

PS: Multiple choices allowed
Old 05-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Vracula
Jedi Order

I like more hyper realistic faces at 1/4 scale . But It has to be a decent mug either way.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Yeah, comic realism all the way. As the new Wolverine PF style. Not only does it raise the quality of the portraits, but forces the artists to also give the costumes, bases, and body anatomy the same level of realism and detail. Both XM’s and Sideshw’s Recent Wolverine offerings are great examples of this preferred style. IMO, truly raises the art form to another level.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

#sigh

Guys, when will you realise that "pretty" is subjective. Are you really so lacking in basic intelligence, to not be able to realise that some people will find the new Poison Ivy sculpt "pretty"....which makes this voting systems choices massively nonsensical.

The discussion over comic vs realistic has merit, but leave the pretty part at the door.

Don't believe me, ok, here is an experiment. Let the op (who I assume is male) post a photo of his partner. We'll all try to come to an agreement if she / he is pretty or not.....now imagine if you are a company like SideShow, you're about to make a new portrait sculpt, how easy do you think it will be to produce something that EVERYONE can agree is pretty?

I'm not trying to be a dick here, or a SJW (I guess no more than the OP would be trying to justify his choice of partner) but why can't we accept that some statues will hit the point (for each of us individually ) and some won't. We have to be adult enough to say "this ain't for me" and move on. Let those who do enjoy the piece, have their fun.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
adee
Green Arrow

I like both styles. It really just depends on the overall piece.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
iceprince_x
Deadman

I go for comic book rendition than realistic ones; i prefer the exaggerations of proportions and the idealistic beauty. Though realistic versions make me awe at its sight, but never really capturing the essence of a character I love. The sad thing is that comic book versions are artist specific that maybe harder to do.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
#sigh

Guys, when will you realise that "pretty" is subjective. Are you really so lacking in basic intelligence, to not be able to realise that some people will find the new Poison Ivy sculpt "pretty"....which makes this voting systems choices massively nonsensical.

The discussion over comic vs realistic has merit, but leave the pretty part at the door.

Don't believe me, ok, here is an experiment. Let the op (who I assume is male) post a photo of his partner. We'll all try to come to an agreement if she / he is pretty or not.....now imagine if you are a company like SideShow, you're about to make a new portrait sculpt, how easy do you think it will be to produce something that EVERYONE can agree is pretty?

I'm not trying to be a dick here, or a SJW (I guess no more than the OP would be trying to justify his choice of partner) but why can't we accept that some statues will hit the point (for each of us individually ) and some won't. We have to be adult enough to say "this ain't for me" and move on. Let those who do enjoy the piece, have their fun.
Fine, replace "pretty" by "feminine"... You are talking of partner, that people have different taste, etc...but we are talking about comic book character here!!! Not real people. And your "show me your partner thing" is the dumbest thing I read on a statue forum.
I assume you read or have read comic books...Female character in it are feminine and certainly doesn't look like that:

Even the art on which she is supposed to be based is more feminine

And like some people, for example, I'm complaining because how many Zatanna has been made? 1. How long it will take to have another rendition of this character?? Years? Never?
So what choice we have here? Buy a "manly" Zatanna made by Sideshow or wait another company to made her?

Yes it's hard to please everyone, but you must admit that Sideshow did better face than this one for example... Same for the exclusive Ivy or the actual Elektra (I really hope for a switch out head...)

To resume, if "realistic" means "less feminine" now, well I won't be part of it. But it saddens me to see Sideshow take this road more frequently...
Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Replacing “pretty” with “feminine” is no better. This is a dumb poll. Only choices you needed to put there were realistic and comic as the thread title implies. Seems like the only point of this was to get people arguing over the subject.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
Replacing “pretty” with “feminine” is no better. This is a dumb poll. Only choices you needed to put there were realistic and comic as the thread title implies. Seems like the only point of this was to get people arguing over the subject.
This.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I think all three of the statues used in said poll are pretty (Elektra, Wonder Woman and Ivy). I think it's very odd that the poll is implying that only Wonder Woman is pretty.
Closed Thread