Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #31
Storm56
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC212 View Post
I would be up for that, I have been in a couple of local tournys but as i am a horrible heads-up player. I have a lot of 2nd place win nothing days
Dude, pay attention please
1. Play fewer hands
One of the most common mistakes amateur players make is not being selective enough with their starting hands. Many players have the wrong thinking in this regard, they think like this: "Any hand can win." While this is true, some hands will win much more often and will make you more money, while others will only burn it. Therefore, be selective about the hands you are going to play with.
A good selection of starting hands is the foundation of every winning poker player. Remember this!

2. Don't bluff too often
Another common misconception about poker is that you have to bluff to win.
Poker bluffs are not as necessary as you think they are.
If you are new to online poker, it is much better to learn how to play your value hands correctly than to try to bluff your opponents. It's good of course to occasionally try to bluff at the right moments, but the real skill of bluffing comes only from experience and knowledge.

3. Think about your opponents' cards
In poker, it is extremely important to think about the strength of your opponents hands rather than the strength of your own hand. It's nice to have a strong hand, but if you think your opponent has a stronger hand, then you need to be prepared to fold. For example, a straight is a pretty strong hand, but if there are four suited cards on the board and your opponent shoves all-in, do you really think you still have the best hand?

4. Play against players worse than you
This may sound obvious, but you'd be surprised how many players ignore this simple principle.

5. Pay attention to the position
Position at the table is a very important factor in poker, especially in Texas Hold'em. The best position is when you are the last to make the decision, such as when you are on the button. That is, this means that you will have the advantage of gaining additional information about the strength of your opponents' hands by acting last. Having a good position in your hand can easily turn a losing player into a winner.

6. Play carefully
The best way to get a clue from your opponents is to constantly monitor them as they play each pot. Even if you are not in the hand, you still need to be as focused on the game as possible in order to understand the manner in which your opponents are playing.
You should notice how your opponent plays his weak hands and how his strong ones. The more information you can extract from your opponents, the more opportunities you will have to outplay them.

7. Don't jump to high stakes right away
There are two reasons why you shouldn't gamble for too much money as a beginner. First, high stakes players will play better than low stakes players. The likelihood that you will be able to outplay them will be less, and the amount of money that you will lose in the learning process will be more.
Second, you should only play at the limits that you can afford in terms of your bankroll. You shouldn't play at the limits where losing a few stacks would be a disaster for you.

8. Don't overplay draw hands.
Often times you will find yourself in situations where you have hands that are one card short to cover a flush or straight. The general rule of thumb here is that if your opponent is betting powerfully, then more often than not, trying to draw his draw will not be profitable. However, if the opponent bets little, then it would be quite reasonable to call in the hope of getting there. If your opponents' bets are too big to call with draws, then you shouldn't.

9. Suited cards aren't that awesome
Another common mistake beginners (and some intermediate players alike) make is that they overestimate suited hands too much. Flushes don't close as often as you might think.
And if you limp with two small suited cards, you are much more likely to lose all your money to an older flush. Your suited card improves your hand by only 2% compared to an unsuited hand.
This marginal advantage gives you no reason to call preflop raises, so learn to fold small suited hands. This way you will save some money over the course.

10. Know the rules
While this is obvious, nothing can replace knowing the rules of the game. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you call someone's shove, thinking that your straight is beating a flush, and you lose your stack. It is impossible to become a winning player without knowing the fundamental rules of the game.
Moreover, some varieties of poker, despite the general similarity, may have noticeable differences in the rules that you should read before you sit down to the table.
Storm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #32
DylanGottschal
Doh!

I'm one of you guys, good luck to all of us
DylanGottschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #33
Storm56
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I am somewhat new to the game but really enjoy Hold'em
Have you tried to play Omaha hold 'em?
You may like it, it is similar to Texas Hold'em, but I found it a little more interesting
Storm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #34
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I’ve never been any good at poker. I prefer craps.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #35
statman
Baron Zemo

I enjoy Texas Hold 'em, but I don't get to play much anymore.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote