Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #31
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Thanks for the kind words Ronald. I spent a lot of time deciding exactly what look I wanted, looked at as many different ideas in forums as I could and toyed with a lot of different options both online and at the framers. Almost went with some red in the matting but ultimately felt it was a bit much and pulled attention away from the red in the print itself. Even after getting it back from the framers I wasn't 100% sure I made the right decision leaving the red out but the more I look at it the more I like it and feel I made the right choice to favor subtlety.

Framing is a much more involved and challenging process than I expected, but it's very fun and allows one to put a personal touch on the artwork. Can't wait to plan out my Blade Runner print.
I think that is completely normal. I felt the exact same way when I got my Star Wars prints back from the framer. At first I wasn't quite sure I made the right the decisions... a few hours later I couldn't stop staring at my new framed prints in complete awe.

Speaking of, I finally got my prints back. Here are some of the first pics I took plus some new ones.

The new ones were taken at night, so not the best quality. More detailed pics will be posted in the New Print thread.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #32
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Did you change the matting on your Empire and Jedi prints? Could have sworn all three were black. Man do they look great.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #33
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That site says that even if you have large posters spaced or matted, they will eventually bow and touch the glass in the center.
Isn't that true? Or is the rice paper sturdy enough to avoid bowing?
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #34
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Damn, they look good
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #35
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Did you change the matting on your Empire and Jedi prints? Could have sworn all three were black. Man do they look great.
I used dark grey versions of each color for the mattes. That combined with the lighting in the photos may be why they appeared black. But no, I did not change the mattes. Star Wars has a really dark grey, Empire a very grey blue (looks super blue with flash), and Jedi has a dark forest green. All three have an underlying dark red matte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
That site says that even if you have large posters spaced or matted, they will eventually bow and touch the glass in the center.
Isn't that true? Or is the rice paper sturdy enough to avoid bowing?
Taking into consideration the type of paper the print is on is a very smart move. I am not sure if just one of the Kill Bills uses rice paper or both, but that could change the way the paper behaves inside of the frame. Using spacers on a print like that may result in the center bowing that site mentions... can't be sure. I honestly could not tell you for certain. However with proper matting I think you can rest assured that that will not happen.

Spacers only touch the print in a few areas, whereas matting will make contact with the entirety of the prints perimeter. Using double or triple mattes will only help this further. What the Hollywood site says about spacers appears to make sense, however when discussing it with other collectors they all still swear by using spacers or mattes. Either way, make sure to do your own research before making a final decision.

One other piece of information that I've learned is that DRYMOUNT is a dirty word in the screen print community. My framer tried suggesting this technique for my Star Wars prints. He seemed very confident that drymounting was the way to go. However I have had NUMEROUS people who have been in the screen print collection game tell me to stay away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Damn, they look good
Thanks Nick.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #36
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Wow! Those SW prints look fantastic all framed up, congrats!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #37
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Wow! Those SW prints look fantastic all framed up, congrats!
Thanks! Just happy to finally have them back on the wall.

Btw, if anyone was thinking of using Sam Flax to frame their prints, I might reconsider. While they did an adequate job, I had to jump through hoops to get them to fix their mistakes. Not to mention to took their sweet time doing everything. They had my prints for well over a month.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #38
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

TRON
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5887196999_42fdb7f633.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	67656  
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Nice TRON print. Cool choice of frame.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #40
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Decided to take some more photos of my KB print with better lighting.