Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i don't think he's boring, the "boy scout" mentallity is what i love about him most, heres a guy who could easily take over the world without much effort, but he's just as perfectly content helping a cat out of a tree as he is saving the globe for the millionth time from invading evil
Same here, and I feel he's desperately in need of writers who understand that point. Superman's treatment post-Crisis has been abysmal, mainly due to his rich history being dumped. He needs to be written with that history in mind, rather than just a guy who flies real fast and punches real hard. Alan Moore and Grant Morrison are the only modern writers who seem to get it.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Primal
Batman

Make him a cosmic character so he can take on villains that can actually go the distance.

Although it looks like Superman-Prime has taken up the cosmic angle.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I actually think Superman needs to be repowered. He used to be the strongest being in the DCU. He should be again. Maybe he shouldn't be able to push the Earth, but maybe the moon. Think about it, one of the most powerful beings in the Universe on this backwater planet. The creators have tried to make him more human, when he should be almost a god. In that respect, there are so many questions that could then be asked of the universe.
If I were writing Superman, I'd do an arc where he encountered another Kryptonian who was sent to another planet and instead of becoming a hero became a tyrant. So in essence he has a "brother", a second last son, that he will ultimately have to fight to the death.
Then I'd do an arc where he traveled back in time and figured a way to save Krypton, thereby saving his family and planet, but it ended up screwing up everything else. Then he has to make the heartbreaking choice of going back and undoing it.
Sure, there can still be great villains for him to fight.

Oh, and I haven't read a SM comic in like 20 years. So if these stories have been done, sorry.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
pendragon
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

If you think Superman is boring, then you haven't read Busiek & Johns run.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Make him less powerful.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
worldbreaker13
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I like Supes in the animated shows and dont find him boring. In the books however, I dont like to read them much because I do find the character to be boring. Maybe Bruce Timm could answer this question better of how to andle this character. I thought he did a great job with the Superman Animated Series and JL, JLU.
worldbreaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i don't think he's boring, the "boy scout" mentallity is what i love about him most, heres a guy who could easily take over the world without much effort, but he's just as perfectly content helping a cat out of a tree as he is saving the globe for the millionth time from invading evil
Agreed. To me the only times that Superman is boring is when the writers don't know what to do with him or how to handle writing him, and instead turn him into all-powerful cypher who just flies and hits stuff. Well written Superman is anything but boring, and one of the best things about him is that he still struggles with being a beacon of hope and a so called "boyscout" in a world that's getting ever darker in nature. Changing that and trying to make Superman 'darker' would be as wrong as making Batman 'happy-go-lucky'...
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #18
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Superman is ultra boring. Probably the most boring character. And it would be hard to change it.

Batman is fun because of his gritty side and detective side. Clark Kent doesn't have one.
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #19
pendragon
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougartrace View Post
Superman is ultra boring. Probably the most boring character. And it would be hard to change it..
Bizzaro World with Eric Powell
Superman & the LSH
Camelot Falls
General Zod & Ursa

some really great stories
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #20
Crom
Loki

Kill him again, but this time have him come back with a fauxhawk.

Oops, I promised Didio I wouldn't give away the outcome of Final Crisis.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote