Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
Mannequin
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Its just the resin in between the statue.. On my point of view. the outer coating is polystone. which is supposed to be full polystone., but if I can see photo I can tell whether it is now just fiber resin.

Fiber resin is bad for your health. it is a cheaper material than Polystone but adds weight to the statue. (SSC is saving on material cost, using fiber as filler)
If the resin was not dry properly before it was sealed with polystone then its moist and and will emit foul odors when exposed to air. Just like in my mannequin business.
Mannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #22
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Most of the statues are polystone which I understand to be completely non toxic, and I can't imagine the factories are using lead based paints on high end collectibles . . . only other explanation is that when you broke the statue you released the dreaded Osaka Flu Virus

Or what M. posted above !?

Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #23
A2G
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannequin View Post
Its just the resin in between the statue.. On my point of view. the outer coating is polystone. which is supposed to be full polystone., but if I can see photo I can tell whether it is now just fiber resin.

Fiber resin is bad for your health. it is a cheaper material than Polystone but adds weight to the statue. (SSC is saving on material cost, using fiber as filler)
If the resin was not dry properly before it was sealed with polystone then its moist and and will emit foul odors when exposed to air. Just like in my mannequin business.

here is the photo i have. I dont know how helpful this is to you, but I would like to know if unbroken statues have any health risks. If the inside is fiber resin and doesn't leak out, I don't mind. I rather not have children get sick because of my collecting habits.

A2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #24
Shaihulud
Death is hereditary.

Did you look if there was any dead chinese trapped in your statue? Might explain the smell.
Shaihulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #25
rnbuda
Birdman

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!
rnbuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #26
EndoPredAliens
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by averone View Post
I love freshly painted statues!!
Nothing like it!

EndoPredAliens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #27
Mannequin
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2G View Post
here is the photo i have.

There you go the pile of resin in the middle is a the one that stinks.. and I assume its still moist...
There is no hazard to this, just plain bad smell. since it was expose into the air.. well just throw away that statue.. and salvage what you can body parts. might come in handy of flea bay for people with broken tentacles. might get a few bucks out of it...
Mannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #28
leplant
Deadman

Factory workers in China fart in every statue and then seal it. The pay, and the working conditions in Chinese factories are horrible. So the workers derive a small amount of pleasure from the thought that somewhere in the world, someone paid a large amount of money for a bottled fart.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #29
randy_marsh
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplant View Post
Factory workers in China fart in every statue and then seal it. The pay, and the working conditions in Chinese factories are horrible. So the workers derive a small amount of pleasure from the thought that somewhere in the world, someone paid a large amount of money for a bottled fart.
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #30
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2G View Post
i wonder if there is a place to take my broken statue to test for any toxic fumes. Better safe than sorry. Wouldn't want your children inhaling dangerous fumes, if there are any.
Is there any CSI lab in Toronto?

I kid, I kid..

But I agree with you, better safe than sorry, especially when you have children in the house.
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote