Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #24511
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I’ll add Hereditary to my watch list as that’s not the first time I’ve heard positive buzz on that one.

Give Mandy a shot if you’re down for trying something different. Definitely not for everyone, especially the faint of heart as it pushes some boundaries. A very dark, very intense, trippy atmospheric nightmare with a slow build up that explodes in the last half.
Hereditary is genuinely creepy which is rare in horror movies nowadays.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #24512
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I’ll add Hereditary to my watch list as that’s not the first time I’ve heard positive buzz on that one.

Give Mandy a shot if you’re down for trying something different. Definitely not for everyone, especially the faint of heart as it pushes some boundaries. A very dark, very intense, trippy atmospheric nightmare with a slow build up that explodes in the last half.
I’m gonna give it a watch this week, thanks for recommendation. Definitely watch Hereditary, it’s completely unnerving (as my brother describes it, also his favorite movie from 2018). And it’s a slow burn that knocks your socks off towards the end. Not too mention the “holy sh*t!” moment that happens. (You’ll know exactly what I mean when you see it)
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #24513
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Hereditary is genuinely creepy which is rare in horror movies nowadays.
I think this statement would be accurate if made about horror films 10 years ago, which relied too much in jump scares and/or excessive gore. I don't have anything against either, but horror films rarely dared to go beyond them.

This last decade though saw a big change in the genre and was the best for horror films in a very long time. It's very common to see more atmospheric horror and more sub-genres explored nowdays, with many directors favoring the "creepy feeling".

And I totally agree with Hereditary. One of the great horror movies of the year, even more so when we consider it's the first movie by the director.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #24514
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Aquaman -7/10
,nowhere near as cringey as Wonder Woman but my God the music selection was atrocious at certain sections
I thought it was way more cringey than WW, some of the dialogue was "attack of the clones on naboo" bad and yeah music selections were absolutely bizarre at times
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #24515
Gothamite
Phoenix

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #24516
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Silver Linings Playbook - 8.5/10

Duck Soup (1933) - 9/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:35 AM   #24517
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
I think this statement would be accurate if made about horror films 10 years ago, which relied too much in jump scares and/or excessive gore. I don't have anything against either, but horror films rarely dared to go beyond them.

This last decade though saw a big change in the genre and was the best for horror films in a very long time. It's very common to see more atmospheric horror and more sub-genres explored nowdays, with many directors favoring the "creepy feeling".

And I totally agree with Hereditary. One of the great horror movies of the year, even more so when we consider it's the first movie by the director.
I think the genre in general has been struggling with "disturbing" its audience and just relying on gore in what I call the post "Saw" era. But the insidious movies (which I like) kinda brought the creep factor back but that genuinely unsettling feeling I haven't felt since like Paranormal Activity.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:28 PM   #24518
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Bumblebee 8/10 - fun family movie probably the second best of the series (I still like the first movie). Really good after I kinda swore off the series after the third one. Really enjoyed this one.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #24519
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Aquaman - 7.5/10 - Much less of the Aquabro but still some very cringy dialogue moments, however they don't "drown out" (yes...I did that) this visually stunning film. This and Wonder Woman are definitely a better direction for the DCEU. Oh and Black Manta!

Go see it.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #24520
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post

Duck Soup (1933) - 9/10
One of the funniest movies of all time!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote