Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #541
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Historically this is not a place I can discuss Star Wars. So I'm just stopping by to provide what I am sure is a differing opinion around here. I loved it. Big surprise... I know.

People need to realize that these characters are simply too close to people. The different receptions of TFA and TLJ are all the proof you need of that. You play things too safe and it's "predictable" or "unoriginal". You attempt something new and it's "#notmyLuke". At this point, and strictly speaking in terms of cinema, this is as good we could possibly expect with these characters and the Skywalker name.

The Star Wars universe still has a lot it can offer. Even in terms of originality. I just don't think they could have realistically done it with the Skywalkers.

This whole trilogy was never thought out, for whatever reason they thought it would be a good idea that each director would do their own thing instead of having a solid story spanning 3 movies. They should have hired a solid group of writers and had them write the entire story and break it into 3 parts for filming. Instead, Abrams wrote whatever he wanted for the 1st part, then Johnson came in and did whatever he pleased and basically made a mockery of Star Wars and then after firing yet another Director they bring Abrams back to try and piece this whole mess together...

Face it the whole thing was FUBAR from the beginning... It was Kennedy's job to keep the whole thing together but she basically sucks at her job... sure in the short term it was a financial success for Disney but I suspect they lost a lot of fans, the type of fans that will see a movie 20 times in the theater if they like it and buy lots of merchandise and collectibles... the type of fans you don't want to lose...

I believe they could have made a Star Wars movie based on Skywalkers that the majority would have liked... But I think egos and personal agendas got in the way... Disney needs to clean house over at LucasFilms, put a new solid team together like they have over at Marvel...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:55 AM   #542
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Baby Yoda has saved Star Wars!
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #543
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
You know even though I can enjoy it and enjoy all the publicity surrounding it, Baby Yoda is soooooo desperate.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:14 AM   #544
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

just got back from seeing TROS, too lazy to write a review now but just wanted to hop on to say I really enjoyed it, hands down the best movie of the new trilogy, and if you're a Palpatine fan I think you'll be happy! the story definitely had an EU vibe to it, JJ definitely tried to make the fans happy with this one I think
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:19 AM   #545
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
This whole trilogy was never thought out, for whatever reason they thought it would be a good idea that each director would do their own thing instead of having a solid story spanning 3 movies. They should have hired a solid group of writers and had them write the entire story and break it into 3 parts for filming. Instead, Abrams wrote whatever he wanted for the 1st part, then Johnson came in and did whatever he pleased and basically made a mockery of Star Wars and then after firing yet another Director they bring Abrams back to try and piece this whole mess together...

Face it the whole thing was FUBAR from the beginning... It was Kennedy's job to keep the whole thing together but she basically sucks at her job... sure in the short term it was a financial success for Disney but I suspect they lost a lot of fans, the type of fans that will see a movie 20 times in the theater if they like it and buy lots of merchandise and collectibles... the type of fans you don't want to lose...

I believe they could have made a Star Wars movie based on Skywalkers that the majority would have liked... But I think egos and personal agendas got in the way... Disney needs to clean house over at LucasFilms, put a new solid team together like they have over at Marvel...
Agree with a lot of this.

Abrams and Johnson are diametrically opposed. That Kennedy ever thought a consistent narrative could take place between the two, let alone with a potential third (at one point), is astounding.

However... JJ picked up the pieces well enough for me. Better than I expected.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:21 AM   #546
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post

Agree to disagree. Anything they would have done differently that you may have found worthwhile for the Skywalkers would have been the antithesis of what others wanted. They never would have pleased everyone.

The one thing I will agree with is that they should have had a clear plan for the new trilogy. Preferably with the same director. Even so, I still believe they would be having the same issue with the fans. It still would have either been too safe or not the Star Wars people remember.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:38 AM   #547
Gruson
Suicide Squad

One word describes it. BORING
I had low expectations after Ep8 and it didn’t meet them. Felt like a continuation of 8 and that’s a bad thing.
Not a fan at all...no suspense or drama. No spoilers but that is a movie I’ll never watch again

Meanwhile I have alresdy seen every Mandalorian episode 2-3 times and cannot wait to watch them again. That’s Star Wars!

Just as bad as TLJ IMO. Thumbs down.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:49 AM   #548
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Babu Frick >> Baby Yoda

Star Wars TROS - 7/10

+Less cringey than TLJ
+ Some spectacular action sequences
+++ Babu Frick - The true star of the movie
+Rey/Kylo's story arc
+ Hilarious creatures
+ Great Pace!
-Pull outta yr ass super powers for some charachters.
-Still cringey sections that some grown adult approved of

If you hate this trilogy this movie is not gonna change yr mind, If u liked TFA but disliked TLJ then this movie will make up for it...kinda...no it won't ..but u might still like it.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #549
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Babu Frick >> Baby Yoda

Star Wars TROS - 7/10

+Less cringey than TLJ
+ Some spectacular action sequences
+++ Babu Frick - The true star of the movie
+Rey/Kylo's story arc
+ Hilarious creatures
+ Great Pace!
-Pull outta yr ass super powers for some charachters.
-Still cringey sections that some grown adult approved of

If you hate this trilogy this movie is not gonna change yr mind, If u liked TFA but disliked TLJ then this movie will make up for it...kinda...no it won't ..but u might still like it.
Pretty much in line my thoughts, especially bolded.

I was able to downplay the new Force usage in order to enjoy this movie enough while watching, but while the two TLJ Force "contributions" were bad enough (lazy, convenient writing), the direct contradiction of not only the EU, but the movies as well, in the final confrontation - bothers me.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #550
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Pretty much in line my thoughts, especially bolded.

I was able to downplay the new Force usage in order to enjoy this movie enough while watching, but while the two TLJ Force "contributions" were bad enough (lazy, convenient writing), the direct contradiction of not only the EU, but the movies as well, in the final confrontation - bothers me.
They just DGAF , Abrams and the scriptwriters Just smoked some weed and just thought eff it, let’s do some crazy sh11!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote