Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Great thread.

From my perspective, slabbing comics really comes down to 2 primary drivers: sales and status.

You really can't debate that selling a slabbed comic will bring in a higher number than an unslabbed book. I am sure there are exceptions but this rule holds true most of the time.

For others, there seems to be a lot os street cred for having issues in 9.8 and up (above 9.0 for silver keys, etc.). I hear people saying that they want to upgrade their Hulk 181 from an 8.5 to a 9.0 which to me doesn't make a lot of sense. A lot of people collect by issue/grade, meaning they will only buy XX book if they can find it in Y.Y+ grade.

For those that slab, pressing is a really good idea in many cases. I had a really good conversation with a dealer at a show a few weeks ago and he said that pressing a key book can raise it an increment or more and for keys, a single increment will pay for the pressing fee many times over. He was very persuasive when I was discussing what books I have in the crosshairs for getting slabbed. I will definitely look into pressing when it comes time to grade.

My biggest question is WHEN to grade. I was planning to grade some stuff last year and would have been bummed to learn that the new slabs (assuming the resolve the aforementioned issues) are more desirable with collectors. I would not want to have to decide to resale a bunch of books. What will slabs be in a few more years, etc. If you are slabbing to increase value but don't have any plans to sell in the near future, why not just wait? Keeping them in mylar until grading seems the way to go.

Good thread. Thanks to all who have shared.
I can't remember exactly what I went after when I was a kid. I remember having the comic in a decent condition was more important than it being NM or new. As I didn't expect a comic from the 60s to be new. Most old comics I picked up were always about VF or FN. The really old ones were VG to GD. I was just happy to get an Amazing Spider-Man #122 even if it was in GD condition back then.

Maybe I didn't have the best comic shops around me. I don't know where people are coming up with all these high grade comics. Perhaps they went to far more conventions then. I remember the first convention I went to and seeing an Amazing Fantasy #15 and being shocked that I was a few feet away from the issue. I don't even remember the condition just being excited that I saw it.

Now people want that 9.8. But you are talking such small faults for a 9.8 to 9.6, 9.4, etc. Shouldn't you just be happy to have the comic in a high grade condition? Unless you are a dealer or flipper looking for the money or a pristine museum copy for investments. There are a few good posts on the CGC forum about the new labels. How the focus is almost moving away from the comic cover itself and more towards the big number in the corner and condition of the pages.

However, if I'm looking for an old comic online I will go to graded first. And the whole Newton Rings thing going with these new CGC cases is a bad deal if you get something not in the upper 9 range as you might not be able to see why a comic is lower grade.

I wonder if CBCS has this Newton Rings issue? I'll check that out this weekend.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #22
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

CGC is the work of the devil - which is why Wizard shoved it down our throats so much

Comics are meant to be read, not made into pieces to be hung on the wall
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
CGC is the work of the devil - which is why Wizard shoved it down our throats so much

Comics are meant to be read, not made into pieces to be hung on the wall
Wizard worked with CGC? I stopped reading Wizard long ago. Like in the 90s. It was a crappy magazine and barely worth it for the artists they would get for the covers. I thought they stopped publishing and only do the conventions now? I vaguely remember Wizard being responsible for the crazy prices people thought they could get for some comics. Like the early Image ones. I wish I sold those during the 90s. I made a profit but not what people were talking in the 90s. I should have tested CGC with my early Spawn issues as I would have received more as those were all 9.8.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #24
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Wizard worked with CGC? I stopped reading Wizard long ago. Like in the 90s. It was a crappy magazine and barely worth it for the artists they would get for the covers. I thought they stopped publishing and only do the conventions now? I vaguely remember Wizard being responsible for the crazy prices people thought they could get for some comics. Like the early Image ones. I wish I sold those during the 90s. I made a profit but not what people were talking in the 90s. I should have tested CGC with my early Spawn issues as I would have received more as those were all 9.8.
They never stopped giving them publicity & comparing regular comic prices & CGC prices
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #25
ReplicantSavior

Ah, I probably had stopped reading Wizard by that time.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #26
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Even more problems with the new CGC holders. I would definitely wait for them to fix the issues before getting anything new slabbed.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #27
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Yeah Mylar is the way to go. Variants are strange these days. I remember having to get to comic shops early for variants in the 90s. I don't remember if companies said the ratio of normal to variant comics back then either. But now companies do say the ratio of variants and I believe the majority of normal retailers pull those to flip themselves on eBay. Online stores just charge premiums for them. So you see $20 and more prices for variant covers. Back in the day I was lucky to have $20 to spend between a comic shop and arcade. And $8 to $12 was the most I would spend on one comic. Plus some of these new variants aren't even that good. The Spider-Gwen first appearance variant was a terrible cover yet it goes for crazy prices graded.
My biggest problem with the variant market today is the use of ratio's as opposed to having an actualy set limited edition number. For example, many of the variants from companies other than DC/Marvel actually state the edition size of the variant. It used to be higher back in the day, but rarity is such a big issue these days that its not uncommon to see variants that have edition sizes as low as 100 or 200, but at least with those you know exactly how many there are out there.

This ratio crap that DC and Marvel are using is highly deceptive. People see 1:100 and think, "wow, that seems pretty rare" when the fact of the matter is the rarity is entirely dependant on the number of issues printed. You can have a variant that is as low as 1:500, but if they turn around and sell 500,000 comics, that means there are 1000 of those variants out there. So personally, I hate the whole ratio aspect of variants. When I buy a variant, I want to know exacty how many copies exist as that makes it much easier to guage the overall value of the price. Of course, they do this on purpose so people won't know just how many exist and ultimately assume they are much rarer than they really are.

Again, I personally feel a crash of the modern variant market is not only imminent, but also inevitable at this point in the game. They are simply producing WAY too many and the pricing is just ridiculously high on many of them. Those were 2 of the biggest warnings of the imminent collapse of the sports card industry. And that is exactly why I have ceased buying premium variants altogether. The only variants I buy are the ones created by my absolute favorite artists, like Lucio Parrillo's Vampirella #19.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #28
ReplicantSavior

I checked the CGC forum last night and they shutdown the new case thread. Today I got an email from CGC about changes to the new case and that the problems were minor. We'll see if they allow people to talk about this new version on their forum once again. They should have fully tested it hopefully this time.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #29
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
I checked the CGC forum last night and they shutdown the new case thread. Today I got an email from CGC about changes to the new case and that the problems were minor. We'll see if they allow people to talk about this new version on their forum once again. They should have fully tested it hopefully this time.

People are begging to differ as these long threads and numerous complaints are suggesting that many collectors aren't viewing the problem as not minor at all. CGC is having lots of trouble getting in front of this, and it will likely cost them. It appears we are seeing a turning of the tide in the grading business as CBCS seems fully primed to chomp away at a huge piece of CGC's market.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #30
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
People are begging to differ as these long threads and numerous complaints are suggesting that many collectors aren't viewing the problem as not minor at all. CGC is having lots of trouble getting in front of this, and it will likely cost them. It appears we are seeing a turning of the tide in the grading business as CBCS seems fully primed to chomp away at a huge piece of CGC's market.
Yeah and I've noticed over there that people can't even mention the other grading company. They post stuff like he who can't be named for CBCS.