Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

View Poll Results: Would You Be Satisfied If This Was All There Ever Was?
I currently own 1-10 statues. Yes. I'd have no problem stopping now. 6 13.64%
I currently own 1-10 statues. No, I wouldn't be satisfied with just these. 2 4.55%
I currently own 11-30 statues. Yes. I'd have no problem stopping now. 7 15.91%
I currently own 11-30 statues. No, I wouldn't be satisfied with just these. 4 9.09%
I currently own 30+ statues. Yes. I'd have no problem stopping now. 15 34.09%
I currently own 30+ statues. No, I wouldn't be satisfied with just these. 7 15.91%
No big deal either way- but I'd likely sell whatever I have now and move on to something else. 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
pdenham
Teen Titans

If it suddenly ended tomorrow...would you be satisfied?

I've always thought that a big part of any collector mentality was such that it needs new stimulation constantly- like a shark needs to keep moving.

Once that current itch to acquire something is satisfied, do you find that you nearly immediately turn your attention on to the next thing to PO or about to ship?

A little different for team collectors, I suppose, as the whole point is to have representation of all of them at the same time. I wouldn't expect characters missing in a lineup would ever be able to satisfy.

Otherwise, for whatever reason (money, family issues, dissatisfaction with the hobby, general ennui) - if your collection were frozen in place as it is, with no more additions ever, how long do you think you would continue to derive enjoyment from looking at it?
Would the absence of something you were never able to acquire cast a shadow over everything else?

Do you still value the earlier pieces in your collection just as much as the new and shiny, or do find most of the luster of the majority of these things can't help but dull over time?

If you had to stop collecting do you think you would be more likely to sell everything off sooner and move on to some other interest- or would pack most of it up and throw it in the attic or sell it and just keep a few select things?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
PeachFuzz
A day without sunshine is like... night.

WTF
PeachFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:10 AM   #3
ukshaun
Hercules

When i picked up my first 1/4 scale piece (Yamato - Ritual) i thought that would be it. 40+ statues later, i have slowed down

I have never sold a piece and do not intend to. Space (lack of) has been an issue along with rising prices combined with rising shipping costs, not to mention the dreaded 20% import fee if purchased from outside the UK
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

I don't own many statues but still love to look at each and every one, as long as the two on order get here I would probably be ok to stop and just keep the display as it is.
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I agree hobby’s need a carrot on the stick to keep people interested. However I’d be okay stopping now if there was a freeze as long as my existing preorders came through. Would I be disappointed? Sure! I want my P1 DOTM Megatron to go with my others and that Bumblebee Soundwave just to say I have a P1 Soundwave. Also the last XM Transformers to finish the line. The hobby has been good to me. I got a Bowser, Simon, Claire Redfield and Omega Rugal out of it. I’ve slowly moved away from my purchasing habits from 6 years ago anyway. I’ve gotten back into my game soundtrack collection and started playing around with arcade cabinets. There’s always something out there for me to invest time and money in.

My first piece was P1 ROTF Megatron. I still look at him fondly now as I did then. Love the designs, reminds me of Darkforce from the old Phantasy Star games, especially Galvatron.

I wouldn’t sell my favorite statues. They’re like an achievement. I used to play WoW all the time. I still do on and off. I have an art print for each expansion hanging in my computer room to remind me of the journey, the time and friends I made since 2004. Certain statues represent the last half decade for me.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

It would help a lot of us if it ended lol.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
It would help a lot of us if it ended lol.

Other than a final piece which is currently shipping over from China to complete a 5 member team, yes, I am totally satisfied with my collection. I'll admit I did a major purge in early 2020 though.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

There's still a ton of characters I love that I don't have in my collection either because the version that exists sucks or will never exist because companies are too busy making the 6,000th Wolverine statue. I would be perfectly fine stopping, but would still have a small part of me sad that certain characters aren't a part of my collection.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
There's still a ton of characters I love that I don't have in my collection either because the version that exists sucks or will never exist because companies are too busy making the 6,000th Wolverine statue. I would be perfectly fine stopping, but would still have a small part of me sad that certain characters aren't a part of my collection.
With more and more people doing STL files, I wonder if getting those "never gonna happen" characters may be a possibility. *cough, Star Sapphire, cough, cough*
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #10
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Over the years Have switched my statue buy habit of being a group completist to just wanting characters I genuinely love. I do have a few Bowen statues that I sold that I would like to purchase back (but only at a good price) and I am still waiting to see what Tweeterhead will be producing. Since I am going looking at characters that are part of the "Super Powers 2.0" (for lack of a better term), I know that he will be releasing characters that even though the statue will probably be fantastic, I will not be purchasing.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote