Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #531
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Do you guys think the EX will go up in value at 500 ES? Since all the other Sabertooths go for pretty cheap. With all the other customs coming out, plus XM........
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #532
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarksis View Post
Sabertooth's head looked huge in that dudes hand. He's gonna be a big boy.
He could have small hands
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #533
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
Do you guys think the EX will go up in value at 500 ES? Since all the other Sabertooths go for pretty cheap. With all the other customs coming out, plus XM........
I imagine the price will jump $100 or so but if you want it to double in value, maybe in like 5-6 years if nobody else makes a better one.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:27 PM   #534
azurepred
Zot

this is my favorite Sabes out there except for the Perreira one. Can't wait to see this guy in person.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:24 AM   #535
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
this is my favorite Sabes out there except for the Perreira one. Can't wait to see this guy in person.
Mr X on the xtreme channel did a review an the got a master painter to do it, looks amazing completed. The pose was ok, but the details on the sculpt/paint were awesome.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:39 AM   #536
Biggunz
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
Don’t think so my friend. Might be three statues a year that go up in value if your lucky and this isn’t one of them.
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #537
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Yup. Go up in value? Not bloody likely for Sabretooth.

darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #538
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk View Post
Martin is a master sculptor & not ANYONE here commenting is on his level (unless by another sculptor from sideshow) the dude does insanely detailed & beautiful work & I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yet to bash this piece is beyond ridiculous & silly to me! If ya don’t like it “don’t get it” the end.

Amen to that brother, amen to that.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #539
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Agreed. If there isn't a Wolverine to match, not likely.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #540
Nebulhym
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarksis View Post
Ugliness and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. But how, pray tell, is the anatomy "all kinds of wrong"? I would love to have this discussion lol!
Well you've had several posters before me who basically answered your question but fine:

- The abdomen is twisting in a very unnatural way. Quite impossible. But then you will tell me so is a 6 feet 6 mutant. Fine but that doesn't mean it's anatomically correct.

- the freakishly big traps are not moving like the abdomen. They look like they stopped in the movement while the rest of the body moved. Also incorrect.

To say that mr Canale is a very talented sculptor is basically a given, and I am definitely not disputing that, but he is also infamous for taking all sorts of liberties when it comes to anatomy. I would even say it's his signature style.

Let's not forget that the man is actually responsible for the epidemy of "huntchbacks" that are seen at Sideshow. It does work sometimes, like on the very nice Bane PF, but it's also really a miss on others, for example the latest Batman PF.

So, without being disrespectful to mr. Canale, I think i am allowed to say that his creations are quite often disregarding the basic rules of anatomy. You could also say he is reinventing them, but in any case, he's not respecting them.

So to make is simpler, for me, the Bane PF or even the Wolverine Vs Hulk maquette are beautiful but the Batman PF and this Sabretooth are ugly. Why? While it's often expected for Bane or Hulk to have grotesque musculature (grotesque, without any pejorative meaning of my part, could very nicely describe Mr Canale's treatment of anatomy). This is not what I want to see from characters like Batman or Sabretooth..or Iron Fist or Silver Surfer (hint hint: probably why it's Bel who's doing it and not Canale).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
I'd go further and ask to see something he's sculpted or created
I hope you realize the silliness of this comment. Or do I need to explain it to you?

Even though Tarkis explained it to you already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk View Post
Martin is a master sculptor & not ANYONE here commenting is on his level (unless by another sculptor from sideshow) the dude does insanely detailed & beautiful work & I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yet to bash this piece is beyond ridiculous & silly to me! If ya don’t like it “don’t get it” the end.
Well this is actually a very interesting post which highlights a recent phenomenon I have observed among the Sideshow fanboys. It's actually quite common in other fields, but i believe Sideshow really is provoking it in this hobby:

It's called: NAME DROPPING.

And it's a very smart move from Sideshow. By throwing out and heavily advertizing their "star" sculptor's names, they are pretty much making sure to turn their fanboys into what I would describe as mindless sheeps.

Now, when a statue is released, the fanboys use name dropping very heavily to excuse any shortcomings the sculpt may have. Or maybe it's also a good way to convince themselves that they should indeed buy it.

Example: "How dare you say it's not the best Sabertooth ever made, it was sculpted by MARTIN. He is a master".

Note how they call him on a first name base. It's the consequence of a clever marketing trick that many other industries have been using for a while but it's quite new here and very typical of Sideshow. Other examples may include a more familiar knickname granted to the artist, like Godbottle for example.

Do you see this used for any other companies? Like XM, IS or Tweeterhead? The answer is simple: NO.

I really don't think it's a coincidence.

But you have to give it to Sideshow, they have been quite successful lately in turning their fanboys into sheeps. The marketing scheme works actually perfectly.

So maybe it's time to rename Sideshow into Sheepshow, as in let your Sheep side show and as a bonus, we can all keep the same initials we all love: SS!
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote