Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
claws181
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Bowen MB Paint Codes

I need to repaint the yellow on my Colossus MB. Another MB fell over on it and scuffed the yellow paint down to the chrome. I understand that this is a common mishap on the chrome pieces.

I've never tried to paint a MB and don't know where to start.

1.What are the steps I need to take?

2.What paint do I need to use?

I'm also looking to repaint another MB into a different uniform for fun. I need the following names of colors from some of my other MB's that I want to use. I emailed BD, and Heather said that they don't have paint codes since it's all done in China and to ask some of you guys.

Superman FS-red,yellow & blue
Cyclops MB-blue
Thanos MB-blue
Dark Phoenix MB- redish orange in the hair
Nightcrawler MB-blue on skin
Magneto MB-red & purple

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
claws181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey Claws181,

I don't personally own any of the pieces that you are referring to. But I have heard on a number of occasions, that members have e-mailed Bowen Designs to get a color match based on the paint masters provided to China to match up (I believe that I had heard BD uses Testors Model Masters paints for the paint masters) and you should be able to get something close.

When matching pre-paints, unfortunately...even repair I've done, it had to be custom mixed to get a color match.

With regards to types of paints to use, you should not have a problem using any water based paint (Testors Model Master, Badger Freak Flex, Vallejo, Com Art, Golden, Liquitex, Createx, LifeTones, etc...) You may need to mix your own color to get what you are looking for.

As for touching up the Colossus...that's a toughy!!!!! I repainted a Colossus for ickwinz in a red and black paint scheme and due to the chrome plating....the paint was faulting. I used a paint stripper to completely remove the paint (as it would not sand and left paint marks trying to paint over the existing)...so to get a tight smooth professional look...the paint needs to be stripped (this is alot of work) and then the chrome area that you are painting over needs to me gently scored to give the paint some tooth allowing for a better bond.

I hope this helps.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Danno; 12-19-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
claws181
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Thanks Danno. I was hoping you'd be able to offer up some expetise.
claws181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Danno

I was going to strip and convert a Bowen MB into my own design and the stripper I used ATE the resin ever had this happen, what stripper can you recomed that is safe on the resin

thanks
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan
Danno

I was going to strip and convert a Bowen MB into my own design and the stripper I used ATE the resin ever had this happen, what stripper can you recomed that is safe on the resin

thanks
I know alot of people use Oven Cleaner to strip the paint off resin and vinyl, that will not damage your piece.

Unfortunately...the Bowen busts need something a little more heavy duty to get that paint off....I used ABD Citris Paint stripper paste. It's a thick off white paste that you spread over the piece and wait 24 hours then run the environmentally safe stripper under the faucet with warm water and most of the paint will come off. The bad thing is not all the paint will come off...it never seems to, so some extra feather sanding and putty work will be required before laying down primer.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote