Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 01-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Bartholomew
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Liquid Masking/Masking

I was going to paint some plastic figures that have a lot of little details in them. Im afraid of screwing it up, so I was thinking about liquid masking since I read about it on a how to site.
To the painters out there, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using this technique as opposed to using just tape? Is it safe on plastic or is it just resin?

And the last question is based on application of liquid mask products. Do I just apply it on areas where I dont want paint to get on. And if so how would I "remove" it. lol. I guess I'm not quite sure how it works.
And any favorite products?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Huy
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew
I was going to paint some plastic figures that have a lot of little details in them. Im afraid of screwing it up, so I was thinking about liquid masking since I read about it on a how to site.
To the painters out there, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using this technique as opposed to using just tape? Is it safe on plastic or is it just resin?

And the last question is based on application of liquid mask products. Do I just apply it on areas where I dont want paint to get on. And if so how would I "remove" it. lol. I guess I'm not quite sure how it works.
And any favorite products?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Huy
i use tape and danno also told me to try PLAY-DO and that works very good as well....i never tried liquid masking
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Bartholomew
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Never thought of dough...how do you get it to stick because wouldn't it fall off? or the paint seep into it? I might give that a try. hehe.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Liquid masking such as Liquid Latex Mold Builder and the like are a bit tricky to use and can be very time consuming. I tend to avoid using them as much as possible.

Standard painters tape like low tack 3-M blue painters tape will work fine. Just be sure the paint under it is cured and sealed. Then take your tape and stick it onto your pants or shirts a few times to get the tape less "sticky".

As for Play-Doh...the only thing I can tell you is to try it. It works great, pulls easily without tearing the paint and you can mold it into shape with a sculpting tool.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

dan i used the blue painters tape recently after i dull coted the bust....but i didnt make it less sticky.......i havent removed it yet should i be worried?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint
dan i used the blue painters tape recently after i dull coted the bust....but i didnt make it less sticky.......i havent removed it yet should i be worried?
Yikes!!!! Well, when you are getting ready to remove the blue tape (which I recommend doing VERY soon), hit it with a hair dryer and get the tape all nice and warm. This will loosen the glue up quite a bit and hopefullyt allow you to pull it without ripping off your work underneath.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Yikes!!!! Well, when you are getting ready to remove the blue tape (which I recommend doing VERY soon), hit it with a hair dryer and get the tape all nice and warm. This will loosen the glue up quite a bit and hopefullyt allow you to pull it without ripping off your work underneath.

ugh i took it off and a litttttle piece of paint came off the back thank god it was the back and i just touched it up