Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Stephen King's, CELL

This book is a couple years old, but as I am a man of some miserly habits, I tend to buy books once they go paperback(unless I intend to add it to my library), or just buy it used. I happened upon this hardback copy while antique shopping with my wife. It was published in 2006, so again pardon the tardy review.

Synopsis- An otherworldly or terrorist based transmission is delivered via cell phones. Anyone using a cell phone at the time of “the pulse” is turned into a type of zombie. More of a semi-homicidal unthinking walking piece of flesh. A graphic novel artist and author after making the sale of his book to a major publisher, finds himself amid the chaos proceeding the pulse. He eventually bands together with other “uninfected” or “survivors” if you will, and as a group they seek to understand and survive.

Review- I have read nearly every book by King, so anytime I pick up a new one it’s like visiting with an old friend, and so it is here as well. Having said that, I would have to conclude that the book is good, but nothing spectacular. The concept is really cool, and as is King’s style, it reads easily and swiftly. But as is also King’s style there are elements where he’s a little too cute, and after reading his books for thirty years, that aspect is becoming tiresome. As well, Mr. King's political bent is becoming far too transparent as he ages, to the point of preaching editorially. He does this through character development and exposition, and I think it detracts from the work itself. It’s like he’s starting to try and be Aldous Huxley or William Golding, but he is too awkward a writer to grasp the subtleties of writing parable. But what the hell do I know?

In conclusion, the work is thinly written, almost like an essay rather than a fully realized story. I assume there is a message here as to why the pulse happened, but if there is, it is evident only the King himself, because there is not a single word to explain the phenomenon.

As far as a rating system, I’d give it a 6 out of 10. Good mindless entertainment, on par with his lesser efforts, like Rose Madder. I think he was napping through a lot of this one, but if you are a King fan, like me, I think you will enjoy it.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Yeah i really enjoyed this book actually! The end was wack! Signature King ending where nothing really gets fixed...kind of like how it probably would actually end up
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPUFF View Post
Yeah i really enjoyed this book actually! The end was wack! Signature King ending where nothing really gets fixed...kind of like how it probably would actually end up
The end was actually a welcome surprise.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm sorry fellas. As great as the book kicked off, I really feel it fell apart by the stadium chapter. I'll agree that the ending was probable in terms of it was what would probably happen, I just couldn't get over the mass Carpenter's "sing along" and musac playing such a prominant role. Too weird a thing for King to pick as a weapon for me. I have a sense of humor and understand the concept of symbolism, but I just didn't get it. Like most King books of the last two decades, it seems to get mired down by its own weight.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I'm sorry fellas. As great as the book kicked off, I really feel it fell apart by the stadium chapter. I'll agree that the ending was probable in terms of it was what would probably happen, I just couldn't get over the mass Carpenter's "sing along" and musac playing such a prominant role. Too weird a thing for King to pick as a weapon for me. I have a sense of humor and understand the concept of symbolism, but I just didn't get it. Like most King books of the last two decades, it seems to get mired down by its own weight.
I don't know that I disagree with you, in fact it is King's propensity to proslytize and pontificate that is what mires down the tale. It's like he can't help himself but try to use symbolism and narrative to make a political speech, and that element becomes overbearing. As I said in my review, his attempts are awkward, really ham-handed is probably the best description. That being said, I still like his books although it is getting increasingly difficult to weed through the sermons and just have some fun.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Rogue
I wear the pants around here
Producer

I really liked the book too. I'm surprised that I read it (considering it was a zombie book). It gave me enough nightmares.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
I don't know that I disagree with you, in fact it is King's propensity to proslytize and pontificate that is what mires down the tale. It's like he can't help himself but try to use symbolism and narrative to make a political speech, and that element becomes overbearing. As I said in my review, his attempts are awkward, really ham-handed is probably the best description. That being said, I still like his books although it is getting increasingly difficult to weed through the sermons and just have some fun.
I completely agree that when an Arthur finds his or her personal politics and starts preachin' the word to their readers, it really turns me off. Before the Cell, the last King Book I read was the one where the man's wife died from a brain hemorrhage in the first page. That scared me pretty much more than anything he ever wrote pryor. Still, that's all I can remember from the book which doesn't say much for King or my failing memory.
But...my memory clearly recollects The Stand, Salem's Lot, Carrie, The Mist, The Shining and The Long Walk...not to mention several more short stories.
He's an Arthur who clearly had his day in the sun but, in my opinion, is having some trouble this past 20 years. ('It' was the downturn kickoff). The Cell was the cherry on top of the Bad-King Cake for me.
John Irving is another. World According to Garp, Setting Free the Bears, Hotel New Hampshire and the fantastic Prayer For Owen Meany were all great reads. Then comes A Widow For One Year and I had the distinct feeling that he was trying to just copy himself and then some.
But...I still admire and love them both. I'm hoping a third phase will come along and right the tilting boat.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I believe the movie "Cell" is in production.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Have you guys read King's Duma Key book yet? Great stuff!
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

After being burned by the Dark Tower books, I am staying away from King books for awhile.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote