Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

BATMAN Premium Format Sideshow Collectibles Exclusive - Review

Batman Premium Format Exclusive by Sideshow Collectives - The StatueForum Review
Exclusive edition limited to 2000. Regular edition limited to 7500.
Release date - January 2014. Original price $400

- Sculpted by: Bernardo Esquivel (Paint), Andy Bergholtz (Sculpt), Matt Beutler (Sculpt), Martin Canale and The Gore Group (Sculpt),
Tim Hanson (Costume), Walter ONeal (Design), Kristafer Anka (Design), with assists from the Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team
- Dimensions - 25" H (635mm) x 10" W (254mm) x 17" L (431.8mm
- Weight - Approximately 30 pounds

"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must become a creature of the night, black, terrible... I will become the Batman" (Detective Comics #33, November 1939). Little did original writers Bill Finger and Gardner Fox and artists Bob Kane and Sheldon Moldoff ever dream that those ominous words would ultimately serve to benchmark the introduction of the world's most famous caped crusader and dark knight detective. For 75 years, the Batman has thrilled fans of all ages, from one corner to the globe to the other, always leaving them clamoring for more.

Sideshow collectibles proudly presents its most eagerly awaited Premium Format since it first opened its doors two decades ago - The Batman.

Pictures provided by Armored_Berserk (Laurent) from France. He deserves a big round of applause!

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Finally - the actual written review!

Sculpture: This premium format delivers in every way. It's big, dark, ominous, and will center stage your display cabinet. It blends just the right amount of cloth and porcelain and never really leaves you feeling like you wished for more or less of the other. I'll just come right out and say -- I love this statue. It's simply an amazing piece of craftsmanship and was well worth the wait in delivery. While the towering 25 inches in height might seem a bit daunting at first, especially if you display it next to other premium formats equipped with a smaller base, the sheer magnificence of the piece displays so well, you can't help but dismiss the scale issue and find a perfect spot for it.

The statue comes with two different heads. Both look remarkable and provide a different look and mood to the piece, i.e., one looks to the side, and the other looks straight on. However, I have a preference for Andy B's head sculpt as I think it allows for a greater frontal view of the statue. i.e., lets you see the batarang.

The statue also comes with two different right forearm attachments, i.e., hand holding a batarang (this only ships with the exclusive) and a clenched fist. Both look really good. However, given the choice, the batarang is the no-brainer display option. Also, the gold color of the batarang provides a fabulous color contrast making the piece even more visually appealing.

I've grown quite attached to the mixed media design. When done well, it adds such a classy touch to a statue. I think the cloth looks awesome here. While there has been some rumblings among the fanbase regarding the less than snug fit of the cloth around the armpit area, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Rating - 9.5/10

Paint: Excellent. I absolutely love the leather-folds effects on the cape. Awesome job.

Rating 9.5/10

Base: While the gargoyle base is as cliché as it gets when it comes to the Batman, it gets a pass here. Ultimately, if you're going to own only one Batman statue, it might as well come with a gargoyle base.

Rating 8/10

Ease of assembly: The statues comes in 7 pieces, i.e., 2 change-o-right forearm pieces, 2 change-o-heads, body, cape, and base. As the statue is quite heavy, it's a bit of a challenge to place the cape on Batman's body. It's also not so easy to remove it. This is one big and heavy statue. Choose your display space wisely!

Rating 8/10

Accuracy: I'm not sure whose comic artwork this is based on. However, the execution of the character is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Rating: 10/10

The negatives
: Just a couple minor sticking points here. One, thirty pounds is really heavy for a statue. It's not that easy to move around. Also, due to the sheer weight of the base, the styrofoam area where the base was placed couldn't take the weight so it actually tore right off just as I was removing the base from the styrofoam. It was a close call.

Overall grade: 9/10 - A+ rating

Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Great pics! I get 2 or 3 SS statues a year (so far) and really would like to see some consistancy regarding scale. GL and even the Scarlet Witch PF look tiny in comparison to him. I hope future SS DC releases will fit in with Bats or I will have to find (or wait) for another company to produce quality DC statues that are in scale with each other.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote