Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Carrillj's review of Sideshow GREEN GOBLIN

Concept: ¼ scale polystone Green Goblin statue, fitted with cloth clothing. Interesting idea, but is this a statue or an overpriced doll? Read on to find the answer in this in-depth review.

Sculpt (and clothing): This sculpture is big and heavy. The quality is top notch and the clothing is well placed on the body. The body by the way is made up entirely out of polystone (one point in favor of calling this a statue!). There is a lot of detail in the Goblin’s menacing expression and lizard-like scaled body, while the pose fits the character perfectly. The clothing looks surprisingly good on the statue, but neither adds or takes anything away from the figure. The glider looks great, the base is appropriately simple and the name plate looks fittingly well. I can’t find anything bad to say about this sculpture.

Score 10/10

Paint Application: When judging the paint job, I have to compare it to the advertised stock photos. Using this as a guideline, I would have to say it’s nearly identical to the promotional pictures. My statue has a missed paint spot in the crotch area, which is barely visible without having to lift the clothing (which I didn’t do) and there are some paint chips around a few scales on the legs and on the pumpkin bomb. The statue I received was new and factory sealed, so there is no question that this is a negative quality control issue. I would have to give my statue a rating (in this category) of 7/10, but I’ll give Sideshow the benefit of the doubt and assume that most don’t have paint chips.

Score 9/10

Displayability: As previously mentioned, the sculpture is big and heavy. The only problem I can see about displaying this statue is if you plan on placing it on a thin glass shelf. If so, you may want to reconsider this, as your shelf could possibly come crashing down. I placed my Goblin on top of my wood curio cabinet, which I think looks great, because although the statue is looking forward, it’s also slightly looking down. The most ideal display is having this statue placed high, because it is large and just looks cool looking down on you or your collection.

Score 10/10

Value: I purchased this statue for $165 shipped, which is a steal, especially when considering that some internationals could pay up to this amount just on shipping and taxes alone, due to weight of the statue and price. The low price I paid made me easily forget about the tiny paint chips and a small problem with the stitching on the shirt (thread came undone). Had I paid the retail price of $300, I would give the statue an 7/10 rating, but mainly because there hasn’t been a ¼ Spider-Man and the line is fairly new. If more ¼ scale statues are released and the same quality is maintained, you can expect the value of this Green Goblin statue to skyrocket.

Score 10/10 (what I paid), 7/10 (mrsp)

Overall: This statue commands immediate attention when anyone enters the room. The statue is easily distinguished from anything I currently own and although I just received it today; I can almost guarantee that it will be an instant conversation piece. The statue is large, but not as big as the ¼ scale may lead you to believe. I found the scale to be perfect and not distracting when placed with other statues in my collection. In fact, it only adds presence to what is already an impressive assortment of statues that I own. The production quality is top notch, the packaging is equally as impressive (the best I’ve seen), and the many on-line deals available to purchase this statue, makes this a must buy. If you are on the fence because of the cloth clothing, then let me assure you that this is not a doll, but a very impressive quality statue.

Score 10/10
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
carrillj

Old 01-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
carrillj

Please give me some feedback based on this review. I would like to do more statue reviews, but only if people are finding it helpful. It’s just a little time consuming to type up the review and take pictures, but it’s all worth the effort if the review is able to help someone with a possible purchase or if it can generate some conversation. So please let me know what you all think.

Was it helpful? Did you agree? Disagree? Let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

nice review of the piece Carrillj
Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
carrillj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD
nice review of the piece Carrillj
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Great review, CJ. I'd give it a 10 too, but my ratings are out of 100...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

i saw this piece for the first time this past weekend, and is very nice if ss make a pf spidey i'll defenetly pick it up!
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Wooktroop
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

nice review
Wooktroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Great review, CJ. I'd give it a 10 too, but my ratings are out of 100...

Very nice review CJ. I like how you included the pics within the boby of the review which i very helpful. Unlike jdh i agree this sculpt is awesome and easily my favourite GG sculpt. This 1/4 scale line from SS is IMO the line to collect for the Marvel fan. So what if its a Romita or Ditko version. I'm all for a sculptor sculpting his/her own version of the character. There are other companies out there producing the comicbook versions already.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye

Very nice review CJ. I like how you included the pics within the boby of the review which i very helpful. Unlike jdh i agree this sculpt is awesome and easily my favourite GG sculpt. This 1/4 scale line from SS is IMO the line to collect for the Marvel fan. So what if its a Romita or Ditko version. I'm all for a sculptor sculpting his/her own version of the character. There are other companies out there producing the comicbook versions already.
I knew you'd pipe up! Ditko and Romita nothing - I stand by my rating, no matter what yardstick you apply to it!
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote