Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2021, 01:33 AM   #1
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

eBay and there new payment system is Bogus!

For a few month, eBay had asked me to update my file with my personal banking info. I’d ignored it. I was shocked that they had suspended my account from listing anything yesterday until I update my banking info into there system. I spoke with someone and they said they would forward my complaint but would not reinstate my account. There is a reason why PayPal was good; you got your money instantly. Now if you sign up using eBay banking, you don’t get your money right away. Why, would I sent anything to buyers not knowing the money will be in my account. If I don’t sent the item right away, I’m sure the buyer would leave a negative feedback.

The entire eBay cornering the financial business is a scam. Sellers have to pay eBay fees when they charge shipping to buyers. I’ve lost hundreds of dollars from this. There global shipping program is a scam when you are an international buyer. In Canada, if an item is under $60 CAD, the taxes are exempt through CBSA. But with eBay, they charge you taxes on it. Not only that, it takes 2 weeks longer to get your item.

I’m sick of eBay. They don’t protect sellers from anything. I hope they know they are going to lose sellers from how they are conducting business. How can they allow buyers to use PayPal to pay for an item but not allow seller to use PayPal to receive money? Makes no F’n sense. Whole thing is a scam on there part.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
BMW///M3
Blue Falcon

Well, i been using ebay since 02 and it only got worst and worst for a seller since. I really don't mind the direct deposit from Ebay cuz i know it will be there and i also know that a seller doesn't have any power over their item after its shipped. The buyers holds all the cards.

The other day i had a 0 member buying a rare extremely expensive item from me that i clearly stated in the auction description that it was only for a local pick up and i would not ship if you were 0 feedback member. Still the "yesterday" member left negative feedback on veteran account for cancelling the transaction.

I complained to ebay via email, how this can be possible...? will they fix it? My guess... NO!

Ebay is operated by monkeys.

I never understood why Ebay didn't purchase PayPal and then etsy before they become a thing.
BMW///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW///M3 View Post
Well, i been using ebay since 02 and it only got worst and worst for a seller since. I really don't mind the direct deposit from Ebay cuz i know it will be there and i also know that a seller doesn't have any power over their item after its shipped. The buyers holds all the cards.

The other day i had a 0 member buying a rare extremely expensive item from me that i clearly stated in the auction description that it was only for a local pick up and i would not ship if you were 0 feedback member. Still the "yesterday" member left negative feedback on veteran account for cancelling the transaction.

I complained to ebay via email, how this can be possible...? will they fix it? My guess... NO!

Ebay is operated by monkeys.

I never understood why Ebay didn't purchase PayPal and then etsy before they become a thing.
At one point eBay did own PayPal. Bought it in 2002 and sold it in 2015.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I did update my account but started up a new account at a new bank with nothing in it for this. Wasn’t going to give ebay access to my account. Bank told me that’s a horrible idea to give a business your login info. They can charge things and put money in without that. This is just to give them complete control. They said only you should have the login info. I stopped using them when their fees went through the roof. Costs buyers more due to sellers having to raise their prices due to this. No deals on there anymore. Plenty of rip-off artists though. They have ruined a good thing with extreme greed. And yes when you buy the postage right on their site and they still charge you fees on that even.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
Philintheblank

I was never asked for my login info...which surprised me given what I've read. When I signed up it was surprisingly quick and easy. Gave my bank account number (new account just for managed payments)...last four of my social and made sure my name on the ebay account was the exact same as the name on the bank account. They do hold the funds, but if that's an issue you can change the handling time in your listing. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely rather use Paypal, but I'm not sure things are as gloom and doom with this as people are making it out to be.

On the topic of fees...I've never really understood the gripe. It's an auction site...you're probably looking at the same if not more in commission at an auction house. I don't agree with charging a fee on sales tax, but Paypal also does that...albeit at a lesser percentage.

I think the real issue with ebay is the lack of protection for sellers. Too easy for someone to leave an errouneous negative without much recourse for the seller. ...you can reply now, though. lol
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
SDguy

It isn't much different now. Whether it's Ebay now, or Paypal in the past, both entities had access to your bank account without requiring your approval on a per transaction basis. It just "feels" somehow worse, now... at least for me. Fees aren't much different either. Sure, the PP fee is gone, but Ebay just hiked their fee to make it a wash.

NEVER give your bank LOGIN info to anyone... that's not how this works.

Fees on shipping labels purchased through Ebay has always sucked. The assholes selling for $5 with $400 shipping back in the day ruined it for the rest of us, and Ebay is just too lazy to be bothered to differentiate between item cost and label cost.

As for hold times on funds, I don't really pay attention to that, as Ebay isn't my normal source of income/living.

And I agree, there is virtually no seller protection through Ebay... not sure how much more there is through a PP transaction via a FB BST group?
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have one statue I have posted on eBay that I wish to sell but after that barring a very very dire financial need I don’t plan on selling anything. I am very fortunate I’ve always had good luck selling on eBay and I only ever had one issue where the statue rubbed against the Styrofoam and caused oil marks on part of the statue but I offered the guy a partial refund of $50 and he was fine with keeping it.
I have actually had good luck selling statues on craigslist. Now since anything I sell always include shipping I do lower the price from what is on eBay since I am not shipping it but. I have probably sold about 12 statues on craigslist that I also had posted on eBay at the same time and just the fact that I don’t have to worry about shipping and then I can meet up with the person and they can examine it before taking the statue is actually very nice
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Halcyon
New Republic

What is the next best thing after ebay atm, for selling statues?
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #9
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
IME nowhere gives you the same exposure as Ebay.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #10
Philintheblank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
facebook groups...outside of that...amazon, craigslist...maybe mercari to some degree. I'd say message boards, but the only decent one left (last time I checked) is the SSFreaks, but that looks pretty slow too.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote