Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Heritage Auctions

Any of you guys ever mess with HA? I'm looking to bid on a piece later this month, just wanna know what to expect. Is it kinda like eBay? Sniping?
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
Royd
Producer
Producer

I've only bid a few times and won a couple of pieces over the years including a recent auction win in the shape of a John Burns Modesty Blaise original newspaper daily strip.

Apart from the horrible 20% Buyer's Premium, their communication is good, the artwork is as described and their shipping (packing etc.) is excellent!

I'm "watching" a few items in the current November auction which look pretty sweet but some of them have already passed my comfort zone Not sure about the sniping, I just bid what I'm comfortable with as my top offer and see what happens. Best,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
Simplyrob

Yeah, the 20% hurts. That's pretty much the going rate at any auction house. Should I expect a piece to go for less because of that?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Royd
Producer
Producer

I noticed that the ComicConnect and ComicLink auction sites have been offering some high quality older published material and ComicConnect advertise "No Buyer's Premium".

I think some pieces would conceivably have gone for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
Yeah, the 20% hurts. That's pretty much the going rate at any auction house. Should I expect a piece to go for less because of that?
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Not really sniping per se as much as just general auction. While it is officially posted, you can place bids on it and then when it goes to the final auction, it is live bidding and people can either bid in person, by phone, or online. Bidding only goes for a set period of time and sometimes there can be 20 additional bids and sometimes none. I won my Kubert Wizard Hulk cover on HA recently for less than I thought it was going to go for but then again I have seen pieces go for much more than I thought they were worth. It is really a crap shoot as to who wants the piece. And yes the 20% sucks. I always have to remember to factor that into my budget as it really adds up as the price goes up. As Royd said, they do a good job on communication and packaging the artwork once they sell it.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

i'm new to HA and have had fun mainly watching some of the rockstar pieces that have gone up for bid recently.

my experience with ha is that there are some real heavy hitters that go on that site. if your piece is a premier piece, it will probably go for big $$. that said, if it is not highly sought after, you may be able to get it for less than you expected. I've won one piece from a lot of several that I had bid on. the ones that I was seriously going for went for much more than I budgeted while the one that I won was a just for fun piece that I guess no one was really gunning for.

I've tried doing the live bidding thing on my mobile on one piece and I didn't even have a shot at bidding. either my connection was too slow or they have the piece on for too short of time for live bidding. If there is a piece that you are chasing that is up for live bidding, my opinion is that you bid your best and final before it goes to live bidding and see if it holds up.

lots of really awesome art in this session. good luck - hopefully we'll both get some art out of this one!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Simplyrob

Thanks guys. Carlos what are you hoping to get? There's an Invincible cover I'm watching. Seems like a really long auction period. Almost a whole month left! I need to figure out my budget on that page.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I'm looking at a number of batman pieces. Half were past my budget on day 1. Hoping that most batman fanatics are busy watching the dkr pages and I sneak others past them.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

CA, NY and TX have to pay sales tax which puts us at an extra disadvantage along with the 20% buyers premium.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Simplyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
CA, NY and TX have to pay sales tax which puts us at an extra disadvantage along with the 20% buyers premium.
I'm sure you could find someone out of state that would proxy for you to save the extra taxes.