Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

My NYCC Haul

Some have already been posted, but here's the bounty. Also got a handful of quickie sketches and will post those on my CAF at another point.

Sorry for the bad pics - no scanner and lighting at my place is not so great in the evening.

Will post a quick con report later, but for now, the art.

1. Tony Daniel contribution to my Original 4 Jam. My favorite piece of the show. Signature Daniel Batman. Biggest regret of the show that I had was not getting a pre-con piece from him. The one's he showed me were all incredible.

2. Marvel Jam start. Contributions in order by: Cinar Captain America, Phil Jimenez Wolverine, Erik Larsen Spidey.

3. Start of my Ladies of the DC Universe. Plan is to get all lady killer artists on this one (ie Brooks, Ebas, etc). Stephane Roux kicks it off with Supergirl.

4. Mattina Batman. Not meant for the con, but as it worked out, arranged to get it at the con. Easily my best piece art-wise. The quality of Mattina's pieces are above and beyond what you would expect. I would say that art-wise this was the best quality piece of the show that i picked up were it not for the Apocalypse piece that I picked up for Cameron. That thing is unbelievable and the pics don't do it justice.

5. Spidey by Bagley. Bagley had a long line all weekend. I wasn't going to get him after he turned down my Marvel jam, but i figured what the heck. He upgraded my piece from torso to full body so it worked out.

6. Portacio Batman. Not sure, but it appears that we caught Batman mid dance in this one. Maybe he got caught up with this whole gangnam style craze.

7. Cinar Batman. Asked Cinar to do an homage of Dark Knight Returns and he came up with this killer piece. Really love everything Cinar cranks out and am waiting for DC to put him on a major book.

8. Daniel HDR Batman. This guy is incredibly talented. I'm glad I got in early because the quality of his work was top notch and I'd be willing to bet that he blows up.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to peruse through my CAF.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=34431
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nycc 139.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	75030   Click image for larger version

Name:	nycc 140.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	75031   Click image for larger version

Name:	roux supergirl.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	75032   Click image for larger version

Name:	nycc 136.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	75033   Click image for larger version

Name:	nycc 131.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	75034  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nycc 132.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	75035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman_CarlosMorales.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	75036   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdr.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	75037  
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

These are great in person!! Great score Carlos!! Nice to finally meet ya this past weekend
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Did Bagley give a reason?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

My goodness man. Some dope $hit! You gotta get Zullo to contribute to that ladies DC jam. All around jealous of the jams.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

I love it all Dude. That Mattina bats is just incredible. I'm pumped you snagged that one. Cinar really did some dynamite work for you too, absolutely love the cap contribution. You're right about the Daniel piece too, one of the best guys in the biz right now and he was perfect for that jam piece!!

All in all, a huge haul buddy. Plus I owe you big time for what you picked up for me!!!
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Did Bagley give a reason?
i asked for a torso on thursday. when i stopped by on saturday he said he forgot to do a torso piece and told me to just pick out a piece from the stack of pieces that he had.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
i asked for a torso on thursday. when i stopped by on saturday he said he forgot to do a torso piece and told me to just pick out a piece from the stack of pieces that he had.
Sorry - I meant for not wanting to be part of the jam
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Mattina's Batman looks incredible! Congrats on such an awesome haul! Would love to get a spidey by Bagley someday. Is he pricey?
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

All in all a great con and glad I made it. I would recommend others to try it at least once. Quick pro’s and con’s (some peeves of mine) of the con:

Pro’s:
-The four day pass. Thursday and Friday were the days to be there and honestly on those days I had the best con experience that I’ve ever had. Everything worked out well, got on everyone’s list that I wanted to (despite being 15 minutes late to artist alley), got the exclusives that I wanted and the signatures that I hoped for.
-The separation of Artist Alley from the rest of the con. I know it was tough on the feet, but for artist lovers I thought this was great so that you could avoid the crowds. Allowed for great access to artists.
-The amount of talent that was there. Just incredible.
-The art. There were some incredible pieces flowing through artist alley. Some epic jam pieces that have not been posted yet were floating around there. Many of the artists there were really taking time to knock out pieces and doing incredible work there. Jimenez was a trooper and Cinar and Asrar constantly had pen and paper in hand knocking out fantastic pieces.
-The DC booth. I probably could have stayed in that area the entire con and had a great time.
-The location. Centrally located, walking distance from Penn station, and the courtesy shuttle bus was a bonus.
-The Just Dance stage. Watching cheerleaders playing the game was awesome.
-Meeting fellow boardies. Only ran into a few, but glad I was able to meet those that I did. Mike, was great meeting you and will have to grab a slice at another con.
-The cosplayers. They were everywhere and many with really unique and wonderful costumes.
-Getting art for others. I felt like a heavy hitter with all of the $ i was dropping. Was great to see some of the pieces first hand and grabbing cash out of my wallett for others' pieces helped limit what I would spend.

Con’s:
-Saturday. Man was that a brutal day. Compared to Thursday and Friday which were epic, Saturday was a bust. Crowds were too much for me. If there was a day for you to miss out, I would skip Saturday.
-The bathroom and entrance / exit situations to the main level. I only saw one men’s bathroom in the main level and the escalator situation in my opinion was a fire hazard.
-The ATM’s by artist alley. Max limit to take out of $200?? Really?
-The artists who do pre-con lists but don’t do pre-con art. Also the artists that take lists and know damn well that they aren’t going to get anywhere near half of that list done and keep telling you to check back later. Just be upfront and say you won’t be able to get to it.
-The con-goers that love to have long random conversations with creators while a huge line waits to get their stuff signed. Stick with “thank for making it out to [city], love your work on [title], looking forward to what you will do with [title]”.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Simon
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Great haul, really love that Roux Supergirl.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote