Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Question about painting shelves

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had advice about painting shelves.

I am looking at buying Ikea STUVA shelves, but they appear to only come in white, and I prefer black or wood for my shelves. I'm thinking about just getting some matte black spray paint and some sealant, but wanted to ask before I did anything.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Any spray paint from a can will smell something awful on a shelf that large for a long time. Even sealing it.

May need to check into paint for a wall at home depot if you want a solid color thats durable. Cause spraying out of a can and moving statues on the shelf from time to time i think will scuff the paint.

But then again those shelves have a slick surface so any paint on them will prob not stick to well, so either way may become a mess.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Sharkey

Mmm, good point. Might just have to get used to the white shelves, or sand them down before painting then.

Thanks man.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Y3E
Gen 13

I'm not sure if you have Benjamin Moore in the US but I bought some good paint here in Canada and you can get odorless and no need to prime. Expensive (cost me $50 for a gallon) but it went on easy, quick and did not need more than 1 coat because the paint was thick. Don't buy the cheap paint, get some high grade (whatever that is )

Ironically, I painted my the wall unit white.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Sharkey

Yea, after getting a couple pieces in it, and wiring up my lighting setup yesterday and today I kinda like the white now. It really makes them pop against the white background. Only downside is seeing the shelf holes along the sides, but that is a minor thing.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Y3E
Gen 13

Yeah, I planned to make my statue shelves white too as I think you see more of the details.

Since I have no intention of adjusting the shelves, I put putty in nail (actually screws) holes and painted over them and voila, no more holes.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Yeah, I planned to make my statue shelves white too as I think you see more of the details.

Since I have no intention of adjusting the shelves, I put putty in nail (actually screws) holes and painted over them and voila, no more holes.
Hmmm, I might have to steal that idea. I am still in flux of expanding my collection to add 1/4th scale stuff this year, so gotta see what size I need the shelves to be at to make everything look good, but once they are filled I will definitely look into that.

Thanks!