Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

man, ebay ticks me off

I haven't sold anything on ebay in awhile but recently my oldest daughter wanted to sell one of her watches and my youngest wanted to sell some of her old toys. I had to put up the watch four times because the first three times, the winning bidder each time never sent payment. No communication, no nothing. Had to wait til eBay refunded the charge for the auction and put it back up. And now the same thing has happened to the toys I just sold for my youngest daughter. It's been two weeks and no communication at all let alone payment. Never had this problem in all the previous years of selling stuff and now it seems like that is all I am getting is people bidding and then just bailing. Anyone else experienceing this?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

I experienced similar situation quite number of times last year. Hence now I have started adding buyer requirements in the listing.

Block buyers who:
Don't have a PayPal account
Have received 2 unpaid item cases within 1 month.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Use the fixed price Buy It Now feature which requires immediate payment otherwise the person can't close the sale. It saves a lot of headaches. It only costs 30cents.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
I experienced similar situation quite number of times last year. Hence now I have started adding buyer requirements in the listing.

Block buyers who:
Have received 2 unpaid item cases within 1 month.
These are my settings:

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Use the fixed price Buy It Now feature which requires immediate payment otherwise the person can't close the sale. It saves a lot of headaches. It only costs 30cents.
This seems to be the only way to ensure you receive a payment. However, BIN listings can take A LOT longer to sell.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I sell things from my collection from time to time and have experienced this numerous times. Shifting away from auction style to BIN solves the problem but in eliminating the deadbeat buyers this way you're also reducing you're buyer exposure and as Luminous stated you'll generally be sitting on the item(s) for a much longer period of time.

The problem lies within eBay itself. They don't allow negative feedback to be left for buyers anymore and unpaid item strikes mean very little in the grand scheme. So there is no penalty that holds much weight. The other irritating part is having to wait 4 days to file a dispute then another 4 days for the deadbeat buyer to respond or not respond before you can cancel the transaction. It's very seller unfriendly. If I'm selling something I expect payment in a reasonable amount of time. 8 days and having to file a dispute to get paid is not reasonable. This isn't Wal-Mart, I don't offer a layaway program. It's as if eBay feels we should. It's ironic that they promote the auction style listing so heavily too when they've rendered the sellers so powerless. It's such a hassle I fully understand why some sellers avoid it altogether. If I sold regularly I might too.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Ugh, I was planning to list some items for sale this year but have second thoughts when I read this kind of stuff.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

This seems to be the only way to ensure you receive a payment. However, BIN listings can take A LOT longer to sell.

It can, but the headaches can really be demoralizing. It's up to the seller to decide the risk, I suppose. Also, it seems harder in general to sell on eBay these days. The competition for older product is fierce. And, people seem to go nuts over shipping fees. It actually can cost $50 (or more) to ship a statue across the country, and when you take into account eBay and PayPal fees, you might actually find yourself on occasion paying part of the shipping fee and get no thanks for it.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It can, but the headaches can really be demoralizing. It's up to the seller to decide the risk, I suppose. Also, it seems harder in general to sell on eBay these days. The competition for older product is fierce. And, people seem to go nuts over shipping fees. It actually can cost $50 (or more) to ship a statue across the country, and when you take into account eBay and PayPal fees, you might actually find yourself on occasion paying part of the shipping fee and get no thanks for it.
And lord help you if you charge $15 for shipping and it only costs $14.90. Some buyers will go nuts.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
johnclone
The Enchantress

Dammit I want that dime!
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Yeah I don't understand what people's beef is with shipping? I don't like to offer free shipping and resent the fact that eBay actually pushes sellers to do so. Generally my shipping charges are within a few dollars, rarely is it in my favor and I've eaten quite a bit of the overages through the years. I've found most buyers have no clue what it actually costs to ship an item across the country with full insurance and tracking and unless you absorb all that cost you'll never achieve a 5 star rating in that feedback category.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote