Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 06-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Orlando Club Shooting

Oh, my Lord...50 dead at this gay night club. No words...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/13...-shooting.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

This was shocking to wake up to for certain. My hope is that Islamaphobia does not overshadow the homophobia that is at the root of this hate crime in the conversation that takes place as the country moves forward.

Honestly as an outsider looking in, I am astonished that the debate on stricter gun legislation is a debate at this point. I was in Vegas at a convention primarily attended by US law enforcement no less as the shootings in California were unfolding shocked to see the "acceptance"reactions as mass shootings are becoming so commonplace. In Canada we mark a 15 casualty shooting that happened in 1989 with National remembrance which IMHO should be more of the norm in Western society vs mass and attempted mass shootings showing up as frequently as abnormal traffic congestion reports.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Let's not let this thread take on a political tone if you want to keep it going. Thanks

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

I'm done.

Best wishes to the people and families hurt by this tragedy.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Let's not let this thread take on a political tone if you want to keep it going. Thanks
Super Mods in agreement on this. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
This was shocking to wake up to for certain. My hope is that Islamaphobia does not overshadow the homophobia that is at the root of this hate crime in the conversation that takes place as the country moves forward.

Honestly as an outsider looking in, I am astonished that the debate on stricter gun legislation is a debate at this point. I was in Vegas at a convention primarily attended by US law enforcement no less as the shootings in California were unfolding shocked to see the "acceptance"reactions as mass shootings are becoming so commonplace. In Canada we mark a 15 casualty shooting that happened in 1989 with National remembrance which IMHO should be more of the norm in Western society vs mass and attempted mass shootings showing up as frequently as abnormal traffic congestion reports.
Speaking for myself, 9/11 set the bar for terror events. And then you have news stores about gunmen in public (even frakkin elementary school) that lower your view of humanity and desensitize you further.

So sadly a shooting at a club doesn't register like it should. But even with all that personal experience, I have to pause at the number of dead. 50. It's a damn video game score that someone committed in real life to real people.

RIP to all the victims. Condolences to their families and loved ones.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:16 AM   #7
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
The second post in this thread by Matches Malone which I responded to is a politically charged post so why has it not been deleted as well ?

To claim that there needs to be stricter gun laws in the US is a political statement, so can only super moderators post politically charged statements and lowly members can't respond ?
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The threads that were deleted were done so primarily due to references to Islam, itself.

Last edited by wktf; 06-13-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

It is actually the single worst mass shooting in US history. I was actually watching TV early yesterday morning and they initially reported that 20 were dead and 52 or 53 injured. Then just like that, they updated it to 50 dead. My jaw hit the floor. So so sad. Nobody deserves to get shot to death by a lunatic with an assault rifle, especially when your just out on the town having a good time.

The scary thing is that there is really no way to combat these types of "lone wolf" attacks. It takes 20 to 25 people to keep somebody under surveillance 24/7. And thats if they know someone is a threat. If someone is under the radar and willing to die themselves, there really isn't a whole lot the police, or anyone else for that matter, can really do. Unfortunately, this type of thing is just going to become more and more common place.

Anyways, I hope everyone that was injured has a speedy recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends that lost friends and loved ones. Just a very sad day indeed!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote