Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

What is your favorite color? Is it blue, is it red, is it white? Do you prefer green, yellow or orange? Maybe black is your color of choice (or the lack of it). In our daily lives there is an array of colors that dictates our moods, likes and dislikes. These colors are powerful tools to convey feelings and emotions.

Although the X-Men team was conceived in the 60's, it was clearly a child of the 80's & 90's. Chris Claremont was its father and Jim Lee its cool older brother. With its explosive action and lively colors, unapologetic set pieces and over the top drawing panels, the X-Men became a banner for a generation of kids that felt alienated in their own social environment. Like "grunge" music or Converse shoes, comics were a symbol of autonomy and belonging to what is now called the X-generation. This book is a tribute to that era and its culture. Digitally remastered and recolored, it adds extra dimension and new layers of color to an already fantastic pencil artwork.

If you are a purist, you can disregard it as another gimmicky attempt to get your money. But if you are just like me, you will see it as a way to honor not only the X-Men but also to pay homage to a unique time in history. And although nothing beats the old, it is always good to see things under a new light.

Here it is, my video review of the X-Men Mutant Genesis 2.0 :
(note: due to youtube rules, this video is not visible in some countries and in some mobile devices. Please, if you encounter any problems, try to access it through your laptop or desktop computer).

X-Men Mutant Genesis 2.0 Video Review

Please, like, comment and subscribe. Thanks for watching!!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

There are two types of superheroes in comics. The virtuous boyscouts like Superman and Captain America; and those that have been brought to seek and to defend justice from the brink of disaster, like Wolverine and Batman.

The Dark knight's motives have always been as controversial as his methods to fight crime. His persona has been glorified and vilified over the years by a large pantheon of writers and artists, enriching the myth and the folklore that surround him. And although there is an ever-present darkness over Arkham City, it is always a welcome sight to encounter its lighter human side.

In the early 2000's, Jeff Loeb and Jim Lee took upon themselves the task of creating a Batman story that showcased Bruce Wayne under the skin. The result was an enjoyable read, seasoned with smart moments throughtout, and undeniable breathtaking art.

Now here it is, my video review of the DC Absolute Batman Hush collection book:

DC Absolute Batman Hush Video Review

DC Absolute Batman Hush Video Review

Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
dark_spidey
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Love your vids, bro! Keep em coming
dark_spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_spidey View Post
Love your vids, bro! Keep em coming
Thank you, Kevin! I appreciate the kind words.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

When you have been good at what you do for a long time, you do not only deserve to be proud, you also have earned the right to brag about it or to "swag it out". There is a difference between "being good" and "being the best"; and for almost 25 years, Jim Lee has not only showed his best moves, he has been a killer on the dance floor!

Batman Hush unwrapped at first glance, might seem bare bones and unattractive. Stripped down of color and inking, it lays completely naked for your eyes to see. A treasure full of richness and well orchestrated balance in anatomy and form. Like time standing still, you are trapped inside the mind of an artist in total control of his work. A rare achievement that does not come easily.

Here it is, the video review of Batman Hush Unwrapped. Jim Lee is not only showing you his trade secrets, he is also taking you on a trip of a lifetime to Gotham City from all places. Are you ready to take the plunge? I know you want to.

DC Batman Hush Unwrapped Video Review

DC Batman Hush Unwrapped Video Review

Please, like, comment & subscribe. Thanks for watching!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Hello Forum Members,

After a few days of silence on this thread, I am coming back with a new book review. This is not your average book, but a one of a kind. My friend from Italy, Sandro Ianniello, better known as kurgan in the forum, sent me a copy of his personal Sideshow collection book. This book contains images, information and fun facts of his mostly Sideshow "grail" collection. It is a fascinating book idea that I wish more collectors would look into.

Kurgan's own Sideshow "Grail" Collection Book Video Review

Kurgan's own Sideshow "Grail" Collection Book Video Review

This book is not for sale and was created for the purpose of sharing with family and friends.

Please, like, comment and subscribe to my channel. Thanks for watching!!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the wh---s and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’... And I'll look down, and whisper ‘No.’”

If there was ever a book introduction more gloomy... more cruel... more real... Clearly Rorschach's famous words would be a sober candidate. In a world full of darkness, standing at the brink of disaster, looking down at the abyss, we can see all of our sins staring back at us. No words to soothe the pain or soften the final blow, we are only mere reflections of our true selves at the final hour. A mixed bag of sorrow, regret and dissolution. The agony of life is the circle to which we are prisoners in love; and we love every minute of it.

'Watchmen' has been a cult classic for almost 30 years. A graphic novel or a comic book (whatever you choose to call it) that transformed and continues to shape the industry from the very core up to this day. Although imitated and ransacked, its success and quality have never been duplicated by any other modern artist or artistic project. A true statement of the prodigious writing style of Alan Moore and the timeless and beautiful art of Dave Gibbons. A masterpiece of the 20th century undoubtedly.

Without more preambles, and after a long break from my part, here is my video review of the fantastic Absolute version of this fascinating book. I hope you enjoy it!

Absolute Watchmen Video Review

Absolute Watchmen Video Review

Please like, comment and subscribe. Thanks for watching!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

In a sea of modern artists, it is a daunting task to pick the good ones from the bad ones. But if there is a diamond in the rough, Frank Cho is well deserving of the title.

For the past 15 year, Cho has proven to be a prolific and very talented artist. From Marvel to DC, Dynamite to Image, the man has done it all. His art has been featured in some of the hottest comics of the past decade. And although Frank's controversial personality has earned him some fierce critics, no one can deny the beauty of his art style.

before the awards and the recognition, the fame and the cover art, there was Liberty Meadows in the middle of it all. Smart, humorous and witty, it showcased Frank's talent as a writter and as an admirer of pop culture. Beautiful women and looney characters, The sundays strips had it all! And finally, the first three years of this legendary newspaper strip are all contained in full color and in a gorgeous coffee table size book. A delightful treat for fans of the man and his exceptional work.

Liberty Meadows Sundays Book One Review

Liberty Meadows Sundays Book One Review

Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe. Thanks for watching!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #19
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Oh, the early 90's. What a time! I remember it like it was yesterday. I was young and full of life. Anticipating every single issue of what I considered the best comic book of all times (certainly naive). I ran every month to the closest newspaper stand just to get my copy of the Amazing Spider-Man. Some times, I had to run a little bit farther because someone else had the same idea and got there first snatching the coveted comic off my hands. Old memories that I treasure deeply in my heart.

Furthermore, 1990 was a year in history. The Gulf War; the reunification of Germany; the independence of the Baltic states from the Soviet Union; the release of Nelson Mandela from prison; the foundation of the World Wide Web with the creation of its first server, among many other time changing events. And although the world was evolving, nothing mattered as much as the story of Peter Parker and his beloved MJ to this teenage boy. Life was just a simple and happy place.

After the departure of Todd McFarlane from the Amazing Spider-Man comic book, Erik Larsen took the office of illustrator for the legendary title. Regarded by critics as just a copyist of his predecessor, Erik went to prove them wrong and to gather a cult following all on his own. Like many of my generation, I felt in love right away with his dynamic panels and gorgeous splashes of livid action. Even after all of these years, I cannot but only marvel at the beauty and cleanliness of his art.

Without any more preambles, here it is! The series that started my long obsession with Erik Larsen's artistic career. "The Return of the Sinister Six" is not only a classic of the 90's, it is my favorite Spider Man saga of all times. I hope you can still enjoy it as well as I do.

Spider Man Sinister Six Review

Spider Man Sinister Six Review

Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe. Thanks for watching!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
What is your favorite color? Is it blue, is it red, is it white? Do you prefer green, yellow or orange? Maybe black is your color of choice (or the lack of it). In our daily lives there is an array of colors that dictates our moods, likes and dislikes. These colors are powerful tools to convey feelings and emotions.

Although the X-Men team was conceived in the 60's, it was clearly a child of the 80's & 90's. Chris Claremont was its father and Jim Lee its cool older brother. With its explosive action and lively colors, unapologetic set pieces and over the top drawing panels, the X-Men became a banner for a generation of kids that felt alienated in their own social environment. Like "grunge" music or Converse shoes, comics were a symbol of autonomy and belonging to what is now called the X-generation. This book is a tribute to that era and its culture. Digitally remastered and recolored, it adds extra dimension and new layers of color to an already fantastic pencil artwork.

If you are a purist, you can disregard it as another gimmicky attempt to get your money. But if you are just like me, you will see it as a way to honor not only the X-Men but also to pay homage to a unique time in history. And although nothing beats the old, it is always good to see things under a new light.

Here it is, my video review of the X-Men Mutant Genesis 2.0 :
(note: due to youtube rules, this video is not visible in some countries and in some mobile devices. Please, if you encounter any problems, try to access it through your laptop or desktop computer).

Great review, JP. A fond trip down memory lane with new colors and hues! I placed this in my Amazon shopping cart at the 3-minute mark.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote