wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Rocket
Art of Mod

Maybe the thread title should read "Marvel giving Wolverine a short vacation"
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Maybe they'll bring in a younger Wolverine from the past.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
Luminous
Cyclops

Just wish they wouldn't announce these deaths and title the series around the event. We all know it won't be permanent. So why not at least provide the reader with somewhat of a surprise when the death happens?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

That's not how Marvel operates these days. All that matters to them is the temporary sales boost these spoilery announcements create. I'm sure we'd all be happier if the series was called "Wolverine: Snikt-ity Snikt" and his death was a completely unexpected twist, but it wouldn't convince random folks who only know Wolverine from the movies to venture into a comic shop. The Death of Captain America announcement created a slippery slope where Marvel went from encouraging mass-media spoilers the day of release to the day before to a week or two before to where we are now, where they basically tell us how a story is going to end months ahead of time. It caters to newbies with a fleeting interest in comics at the expense of devoted readers. And it's just one example of the annoying emphasis on short-term thinking in this industry.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #16
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
That's not how Marvel operates these days. All that matters to them is the temporary sales boost these spoilery announcements create. I'm sure we'd all be happier if the series was called "Wolverine: Snikt-ity Snikt" and his death was a completely unexpected twist, but it wouldn't convince random folks who only know Wolverine from the movies to venture into a comic shop. The Death of Captain America announcement created a slippery slope where Marvel went from encouraging mass-media spoilers the day of release to the day before to a week or two before to where we are now, where they basically tell us how a story is going to end months ahead of time. It caters to newbies with a fleeting interest in comics at the expense of devoted readers. And it's just one example of the annoying emphasis on short-term thinking in this industry.
Perfectly put
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #17
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Every time a death is announced I'm reminded of Dark Beast's joke in an X-Men comic that went something like:

Well sure but she's Jean Grey. Just how dead is she right now?
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #18
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Maybe they'll bring in a younger Wolverine from the past.
Honestly a young James Howlett who's not even a Weapon X experiment yet probably would be pretty interesting to see and with time messed up they could have the character do almost anything without threat of time breaking (further).
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 AM   #19
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
Yeah, I get that. More of a rhetorical question. That's why it was a wish.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #20
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

If it were permanent then maybe I'd come out of comic buying retirement but we all know it's the same bollocks they've pulled a million times before so screw em, they can keep their pointless junk that's only suitable for the recycling bin.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote