Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

My Favorite Dynamite Titles Are Gone

Woe is me.

First they cancelled Lone Ranger, the first run.

Then they cancelled Dark Shadows.

Then they cancelled The Spider.

Then they cancelled The Shadow.

Now, after reading #24 of the second run of The Lone Ranger, they say #25 will be the final issue.

In fairness, other than the first Lone Ranger run which was of the highest quality all the way through, all these titles started very strong but, creatively, had petered out. So, I'm not surprised if sales dropped off as well.

Still, I love these characters and wish Dynamite had better invested their resources in telling better stories to keep their titles afloat.

Sigh.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

Wow, I didn't realize all of these had been cancelled! I hear ya, but like you said, these titles should have been so much better than they were. Dynamite seems to think they can get by either on the reputation of their licensed properties, or on Alex Ross' covers. I've given them more than a fair chance, but I dropped the Shadow, Battlestar Galactica, John Carter, Tarzan, The Last Phantom, Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist, and their Kirbyverse and Project Superpowers lines. They all looked really cool in the planning stages but couldn't keep my attention, and some were unforgivably amateurish. Something else about them that really annoys me is the price of their collected editions, especially when they pad them with scripts and unfinished pages.

The only Dynamite titles I'd recommend are Matt Wagner's Zorro and Green Hornet: Year One, and Mark Waid's Green Hornet. For some reason, I never got around to the first Lone Ranger series, but I've heard good things about it.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Welp, guess my wallet is going to have a little more money each month :/

Really enjoyed The Shadow and Spider. Although The Spider definitely seemed to be tapering off, and the Shadow always seemed more of a serial story to me.

Sad to see more non-big 2 titles dropping off.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Shadows got a mini out by Chaykin currently. Im guessing they may go with the ongoing mini series route for now, ala Hellboy.

Im currently just reading Red Sonja which has been pretty good under Gail Simone. I think shes leaving soon though so im not to optimistic about the books future.

Hear good things about Jeff Parkers Flash Gordon. I may try that out.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Toxie, I'm pretty sure the first Lone Ranger series was given the omnibus treatment. I've got it all in multiple HCs and used to give the monthly comics glowing reviews back in the days of The Mighty Reviews, if you want to do a search for them there.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Babytoxie
Ghost

Actually, your reviews were some of the good things I'd heard/read about it! I remember your Mighty Reviews fondly.

I've seen that LR omnibus at the LCS. It's about time I picked it up. Dynamite has a Zorro omnibus on the way, and they collected Green Hornet: Year One in the format not too long ago. The omnibuses are a much better deal than their standard trades, but I hate to tempt fate by waiting through both the monthlies AND the smaller collected editions.

The Kevin Smith Green Hornet series is getting an omnibus in July, but I've heard it wasn't very good. Any thoughts on those, if you read them?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Bummed about the Shadow. Both the ongoing and The Shadow Now books were two of my favorite reads of late. More evidence that the day of the classic Pulp hero is truly over. I've also been enjoying Dynamite's take on Doc Savage ... but I predict the end coming soon with that title too. Dynamite's been pretty liberal with their take on Doc. This last issue had his World Savage Center being taken over by a Russian's nerd' computer virus.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Bummed about the Shadow. Both the ongoing and The Shadow Now books were two of my favorite reads of late. More evidence that the day of the classic Pulp hero is truly over. I've also been enjoying Dynamite's take on Doc Savage ... but I predict the end coming soon with that title too. Dynamite's been pretty liberal with their take on Doc. This last issue had his World Savage Center being taken over by a Russian's nerd' computer virus.
Yeah its sad news. But I dont know if its completely over. Dynamite did some good work with these characters - perhaps more will happen down the road. I for one certainly love the content...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Actually, your reviews were some of the good things I'd heard/read about it! I remember your Mighty Reviews fondly.

I've seen that LR omnibus at the LCS. It's about time I picked it up. Dynamite has a Zorro omnibus on the way, and they collected Green Hornet: Year One in the format not too long ago. The omnibuses are a much better deal than their standard trades, but I hate to tempt fate by waiting through both the monthlies AND the smaller collected editions.

The Kevin Smith Green Hornet series is getting an omnibus in July, but I've heard it wasn't very good. Any thoughts on those, if you read them?
I read the Wagner Zorro through the first arc only and then stopped as it didn't hold my interest. I've also heard the Kevin Smith Green Hornet series was poor so never picked it up. Never picked up the Year One book, either, and actually hadn't heard of it.

My regret was never having picked up Mark Waid's Green Hornet which my LCS guy says has been great, no surprise as Waid's writing it, but I've been so turned off by Dynamite's stuff the last several months that I just didn't bother picking it up. Will have to get the trade, I think.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Babytoxie
Ghost

Definitely check out GH Year One. It was a great read. Wagner has more than proven himself with this genre on Sandman Mystery Theater, and it was very much in that style.