Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

More drama in the Hobbit household

Well, here goes. This has been going on since April of this year.

My son, has always been troubled seeking his "true self". Been through the rave scene, the goth scene, among others. He's gone into the "cutting" himself stuff. Well back in April he brings up all the issues he's been having since he was young. Won't go into all the details but basically he started himself on hormone treatment on his way to changing his gender. Topher now goes as Teagan. Yep, growing boobs and everything. Been difficult for Mrs Hobbit and I to deal with but he is our son and we have been supportive. Both him (now here) and us have been through counciling. Guess we've come to accept it and he (she) seems much happier. Even his girlfriend is very supportive (both of them are living with us). His ex-wife is even ok with the whole thing. Of course we are concerned with how this will impact our granddaughter, Persia, but kids are pretty resiliant and if this all she ever knows then hopefully she will grow up without any issues with it. Persia refers to him (her) as "mommy Teagan" instead of daddy. We've only told a few friends and family. Apparently 1/4 male transgenders still are attracted to females so this is referred to as a lesbian transgender. He's talking about wanting the SRS (Sexual reassignment surgery) but it's real expensive and this isn't something I'm ready to fork out ten's of thousands of dollars for as I'm trying to save for retirement.

Haven't told my parents yet as I'm pretty sure they will freak and we haven't told Mrs Hobbits mom yet either. Mrs Hobbits brothers/sisters are somewhat supportive but they live across the country and aren't seeing this all first hand.

Life sure has a way of dealing us drama it seems. WIth our good friend dealing with the whole "exposing himself" issues, my prostate cancer, and this I'm struggling to try to keep Mrs Hobbit's and my life somewhat normal.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
rychehitman
Galactus

Sounds like you are on the right track in being supportive Hobbit! That's pretty much all you can do if you want to keep a healthy relationship with Teagan.

I think we need to contact some TV executives because yours is a reality show I would set my DVR to record for damn sure!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track in being supportive Hobbit! That's pretty much all you can do if you want to keep a healthy relationship with Teagan.

I think we need to contact some TV executives because yours is a reality show I would set my DVR to record for damn sure!
Yeah, can't count how many times I've thought I should right a book.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

You certainly are living in interesting times, lol. Sounds like you are keeping your head about you though.

I have a close family member going through gender reassignment, surgery is down the line. It's like you said, the children adapt faster than anybody else. Got to be supportive. Keeping this bottled up for all these years was probably the impetus for all the "acting out" you talked about.

Stay strong brother, better days must be coming. You're just getting all the drama out of the way.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
First thing I thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Yeah, can't count how many times I've thought I should right a book.
Sadly I don't think people read books anymore.

Sorry your life has had so many turns lately, but I think you are handling it all very well.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

This is something for you to work out with him.
I think it's unfair for us to speculate as to what causes these attention seeking behaviors. We don't know what happened in the past in your family dynamic.
If I were to offer my opinion and it were unwarranted
I would no doubt be intruding on personal ground and would run the risk of offending you which I have no intention of. I do know that this stress upon you at the moment when your health is in jeopardy is something you certainly do not need, along with the recent discovery of your friend's indiscretion.
In this time of trouble we are all here for you if you need us, if only just to listen.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
This is something for you to work out with him.
I think it's unfair for us to speculate as to what causes these attention seeking behaviors. We don't know what happened in the past in your family dynamic.
If I were to offer my opinion and it were unwarranted
I would no doubt be intruding on personal ground and would run the risk of offending you which I have no intention of. I do know that this stress upon you at the moment when your health is in jeopardy is something you certainly do not need, along with the recent discovery of your friend's indiscretion.
In this time of trouble we are all here for you if you need us, if only just to listen.
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Faced with similar circumstances, I can honestly say I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Your grace and perseverance are inspirational. 'Keep on keeping on' is the advice I'd offer. Maybe a long vacation, alone with just the wife next summer too.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Faced with similar circumstances, I can honestly say I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Your grace and perseverance are inspirational. 'Keep on keeping on' is the advice I'd offer. Maybe a long vacation, alone with just the wife next summer too.
This is definitely one of those very rare situations where it's hard for anyone to empathize with.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

man what a tough way to enter your retirement years. i hope your child understands that you can help emotionally but not financially. your a great papa for dealing with all this with acceptance and love and i hope your kid knows how lucky s/he is.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote