Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #61
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I've heard from trusted sources that Perez's writing is t up to his art. I was advised not to get this.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #62
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx View Post
Good to know, Going to pick it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugueezer View Post
Been planning for a while to get this... Might just be my next purchase.
I'm no expert, and I'm admittedly easy to please, but I am confident in saying neither of you will regret the purchase.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #63
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Most definitely.

Quote:
I've heard from trusted sources that Perez's writing is t up to his art. I was advised not to get this.
I disagree with the naysayers. In my opinion, this is by far the best Wonder Woman run of all times. The art is simply gorgeous. The plots are infused with ancient Greek mythology in an modern day setting (late 80's of course). The dialogues among Gods, Demigods and Amazons is done in a Shakespearean tone, thanks to the capable writting of Greg Plotter and Len Wein. Undoubtedly, George Perez (alongside his co-plotters) was to Wonder Woman what Walt Simonson was to Thor. They both redefined these characters in the most appropriate way.

Now, there will be a second volume later this year. It will complete the George Perez run. In his last two years, Perez was writing and no longer penciling the art. Unfortunately, his writing then was not as good as the one from Plotter and Wein. In that regard, your sources are partially correct.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #64
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I have the George Perez WW Omni but i haven't read it yet... I wouldn't pass on anything George Perez btw. I have it all. New Teen Titans Omnis, Wonder Woman Omni, The Crisis Deluxe. I can't get enough of his art.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #65
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I just finished the Animal Man omnibus...that is an interesting read to say the least...
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #66
Parallax
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I just finished the Animal Man omnibus...that is an interesting read to say the least...
It's definitely one that you have to go back and read a second time down the road. First read was a little confusing and out there, but going back and understanding the story, it's great. I love the psychological take on a superhero like Grant Morrison can do.

Got 3 new books in the last week. Both volumes of Sandman, which are insanely beautiful, and the 52 omnibus. I've been meaning to read both for a long time now, so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #67
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I have the George Perez WW Omni but i haven't read it yet... I wouldn't pass on anything George Perez btw. I have it all. New Teen Titans Omnis, Wonder Woman Omni, The Crisis Deluxe. I can't get enough of his art.
I had all The New Teen Titans Omnibuses. The art was great but the stories for the most part were just awful. I loved Marv Wolfman's writing on Tomb of Dracula, Nova and on Crisis on Infinite Earths, but I never liked his writing on Spider-Man or Fantastic Four. I was so disappointed on New Teen Titans I'd never recommend it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:14 AM   #68
Penoy
Fantastic Four

hrmm. that's very unusual for a highly regarded title.. not even the Judas contract arc wktf?
Penoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #69
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penoy View Post
hrmm. that's very unusual for a highly regarded title.. not even the Judas contract arc wktf?
When I wrote "for the most part," that was the exception. That one arc was great. But the vast majority of this run was a snore.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #70
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
When I wrote "for the most part," that was the exception. That one arc was great. But the vast majority of this run was a snore.

I generally believed the popularity of the New Teen Titans had much more to do with Perez' artwork than with Wolfman's writing. At the time, Perez was in a class by himself, drawing outside the Buscema/Kirby/Romita norm. Perez presented a sexier appeal to female superheroes and also typically incorporated much more detail in his work (i.e., shattered glass, crumbling buildings, etc.). However, as the writing was not spectacular, the appeal of the book lasted as long as the interest in the artwork, which explains why the book eventually fell in disfavor, unlike Byrne's X-Men which successfully combined stellar artwork and fabulous writing.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote