Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Sam
Hydra

Copics, pencil, ink, paints. My opinion is that it's not the medium but what the artist does WITH it that matters. David Finch does things with a pen and pencil that others drool over. Stevens did some AMAZING work with copics. Mark McHaley does gorgeous work with acrylics.

Pick the artist that works in the style you like, and don't worry about the medium, unless it's the medium you're looking for and not the artist.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #22
Sam
Hydra

Personally, I was greatly looking forward to a Chris Stevens copic piece. I love his art, both pen and paint, but his copic work is my favorite. I was somewhat disappointed when he decided to work just in oils.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Copics, pencil, ink, paints. My opinion is that it's not the medium but what the artist does WITH it that matters. David Finch does things with a pen and pencil that others drool over. Stevens did some AMAZING work with copics. Mark McHaley does gorgeous work with acrylics.

Pick the artist that works in the style you like, and don't worry about the medium, unless it's the medium you're looking for and not the artist.
I agree to an extent Sam. However, I have seen artists whose style I like a lot not excel in certain mediums. Even for my favorite artists, I would want to see samples before jumping on a commission in a new medium (especially if it were expensive). JMO.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Stevens...that's the name I couldnt think of yesterday when I first saw this thread. That guy is amazing with copics.
I think it is very hot or miss for me. I usually prefer black and white, hence pen and ink, but occasionally, I am wowed by copic marer woork. I just got a piece by Richard Cox(not posted yet by the way) where he asked me if it was ok for him to use copics...and man does it rock. i marevl at the technique.
I do NOT think artsist should use copics on a commission without asking, as many are just not profficient with themarkers. Ditto tonal pencil. Some folks do amazing work...others, not so much.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
dcd747
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
Stevens...that's the name I couldnt think of yesterday when I first saw this thread. That guy is amazing with copics.
I think it is very hot or miss for me. I usually prefer black and white, hence pen and ink, but occasionally, I am wowed by copic marer woork. I just got a piece by Richard Cox(not posted yet by the way) where he asked me if it was ok for him to use copics...and man does it rock. i marevl at the technique.
I do NOT think artsist should use copics on a commission without asking, as many are just not profficient with themarkers. Ditto tonal pencil. Some folks do amazing work...others, not so much.
I'm not well versed in the use of copics. They can be greys, too, right? Am I right in thinking that your Garza piece is done with copics? If so, I think that some of the grey tone copic pieces that I have seen many artists use have been fantastic - probably moreso than the colour ones.
dcd747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Are you on Chris' commission list for a BoG?

I don't recall seeing one in your massive collection and I'm damn sure he would kill it -- but it would be paints.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

is he only doing paints now??
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

J. Scott Campbell is one of the masters of the Copic commissions.
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Sam
Hydra

Quote:
is he only doing paints now??
That's my understanding, yes. Only oils.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagouch17 View Post
J. Scott Campbell is one of the masters of the Copic commissions.
agreed! i like JSC and Omar Dogan with their copic work. just so damn expensive to get a commission from them assuming you make it on their lists.
jasong888 is offline   Reply With Quote