Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Be careful to commission Adriano Batista

Found this on CAF and thought everyone should be warned. I hate storys like this.....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...889&UCat=37889
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

hate to read things like this. thank you for the heads up on this issue
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Sucky story to hear about.

On a related note, can people just post up random images on CAF in order to tell these horror stories? Won't their posts be deleted? Do CAF users frown upon this kind of advertising for their bad experiences? I've always considered doing one for Ale Garza, who I've talked about here, but I've never known if it was acceptable on CAF or not
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Thanks for the heads up.

DiscoCougar -- I haven't seen it as a habit on CAF, but after reading his story, I can totally understand why that gallery owner posted up the image and explained the issue.

Did you ever get your Garza piece? Or was it just a super long delay?

I've been lucky I haven't had this issue. But if it did happen to me, and I took all other avenues of getting my commission/refund with no results -- I would then just start giving other people a heads up and not letting a thief (that's what he is at this point) get away with it. Any way possible.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Did you ever get your Garza piece? Or was it just a super long delay?
I still haven;t received my Garza piece. It took so long to just get him to draw it (and it looks assy) and now he won't even send it to me.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
TheORKINMan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

You sent a message to MGA? He's repping Garza now.
TheORKINMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Edward-G
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
Sucky story to hear about.

On a related note, can people just post up random images on CAF in order to tell these horror stories? Won't their posts be deleted? Do CAF users frown upon this kind of advertising for their bad experiences? I've always considered doing one for Ale Garza, who I've talked about here, but I've never known if it was acceptable on CAF or not
I've done this myself so I may be biased. But CAF is the first place that fans go to to check for original art and for commissions. Before a convention, part of my homework consists of looking up the work listed in the Artists Alley. Stories like this, IMO, are very useful to other collectors. You know whom to avoid.
Edward-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
DiscoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheORKINMan View Post
You sent a message to MGA? He's repping Garza now.
Thanks to this forum I found out about MGA and through him I was able to get Ale to even recognize that he owed me a commission from a payment I made years ago. But sadly MGA doesn't have absolute power over Ale, and it was by chance that I got Ale to draw the commission for me in the first place when I saw him posting up live notes on Facebook about drawing. That was over four months ago, and Ale never sent the commission out. I don't want to annoy MGA, so I wasn't about to harass him about Ale being a douche and not sending me the crappy art he drew. But after waiting this long I was forced to send MGA another email which he just forwards on to Ale and tells me "Keep me posted."

MGA has been nothing but kind to me, but Ale is just a total waste talent on a crappy human being, so I'm stuck until he gets his ---- together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward-G View Post
I've done this myself so I may be biased. But CAF is the first place that fans go to to check for original art and for commissions. Before a convention, part of my homework consists of looking up the work listed in the Artists Alley. Stories like this, IMO, are very useful to other collectors. You know whom to avoid.
Before I knew of MGA I was seriously considering posting up a note about Ale just because he took $200 of my money and lied about it for years afterwards. But the state of comic art is in such decay when fans who have been screwed (like myself) are fearful of posting such news just because it might get back to the artist who could then get angrier and most definitely never complete your commission, possibly tell his/her friends about you and black list you, and turn an honest account of what happened into some fabricated story where the art fan community might question you as being a liar or not.

But maybe once this Ale thing finally comes to an end I'll post up a note about this problem for others to see on CAF
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

Garza is actually improving on being on top of things. He's getting more commissions completed at cons now than ever thanks to the help he has. It's con season now and Garza isn't hiding. Ask MGA or a friend to pick up your art at the next show he's at. Avoid having artists ship your art if you can unless you want it bent.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
DiscoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking007 View Post
Garza is actually improving on being on top of things. He's getting more commissions completed at cons now than ever thanks to the help he has. It's con season now and Garza isn't hiding. Ask MGA or a friend to pick up your art at the next show he's at. Avoid having artists ship your art if you can unless you want it bent.
My dealings with Garza is much more than just a simple convention pick up. A lot of lying, a lot of threats, and having him draw a severely underwhelming piece is what I'm still going through. To anyone that get's a commission from him at a convention - that's great. But just be warned he is a turd.

You can read my account of problems with him here, and it's still not over with is what's killing me:

http://statueforum.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=197

http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=134753