Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

dang, the page is gone from CAF. What happened?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Edward-G
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
dang, the page is gone from CAF. What happened?
My guess is that Adriano saw it and went to fix the problem.
Edward-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Hopefully everything has gotten/will get worked out between Adriano and the person that posted that warning. Adriano currently owes me a few commissions as well (only been a couple of months since I paid, so I haven't been waiting any longer than I expected). I had previously commissioned Adriano 2 or 3 times and never had a problem with him before. We're "Facebook friends" as well and I pointed that CAF posting out to him, hoping things might get fixed. Here's hoping they have been/will be.
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

If I make a suggestion:
1) Do not ever place yourself in a position where you can lose control of your commission. No nicely drawn boobs or snarling Wolverine on a rooftop is worth the stress. Always set the terms. You are the paying customer, hence the boss.
2) Do not pay upfront for any commission unless the work is about to begin. Any other arrangement is risking a headache you do not need since there is NO ONE who either cares about what's happened to you or will be in a position to save you from being taken for a ride (other than perhaps a united SF public vilification of the artist). Set the terms. If the artist doesn't like it, move on. There are plenty of other willing and fabulous artists out there who would gladly accept your more than fair terms. Treat artists like you would anyone else you hire, i.e., a carpenter, bike repair guy, and so on. Would you ever pay them two years in advance to do a job? Never. Artists are only entitled to be treated like kings because you treat them that way. You have a choice.
3) Make sure the artist knows that he has at most 45 days to finish the piece, at which point, you will file a paypal complaint. 45 days is more than enough to draw the boobs you want or the angry Batman screaming at his bat signal.
4) If he turns out to be in non-compliance, fire him (or her) and ask for a refund. Artwork from artists who have been dicking you around is no fun to own anyway. Of course, you always have the choice to resend the money and set the commission meter back to day one.

If the overall experience goes well, hire him again and/or spread the well deserved word of the artist's professionalism and dependability.

While there are certainly circumstances where these suggestions may not apply, i.e., solid rep, I nonetheless highly recommend you take precautions because you can bet your behind that once the 45 days are up, you're at the artist's mercy, and you will have no one else to blame but yourself. Don't become a statistic.

Just my 2 cents.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
TheORKINMan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I'll disagree slightly with #3. If its a reputable/notable artist that has a track record of finishing commissions but taking a little longer I don't think it's a big deal to wait longer.
TheORKINMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheORKINMan View Post
I'll disagree slightly with #3. If its a reputable/notable artist that has a track record of finishing commissions but taking a little longer I don't think it's a big deal to wait longer.

Then money need not be taken if the artist isn't prepared or able to devote to the commission. It's that simple. Why take the money earlier? Why treat an artist differently then anyone else you would hire to do something for you? That's why it's call "work for hire" not "work I'll eventually come around to doing when I feel like it but pay me anyway".

Like I said, there are exceptions one can make if they feel they could trust the artist. It's the commissioner's choice. Personally, I prefer to look at this as a business transaction. I am not any more interested in the artist's life as the artist is in mine. In the end, I like the artist's work and he likes my money. If a friendship somehow comes out of it, great, if not, that's fine too. I don't expect Joe Jusko to send me birthday cards. However, make no mistake, this is a business transaction first and foremost, and as the ones doing the hiring and the paying, we have lots of say in how things proceed.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #17
TheORKINMan

Yeah I gotcha. Sometime it's such a rare opportunity that you just gotta take the risk. Been waiting on my Steranko piece for about 7 months but I'm confident ill get it.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheORKINMan View Post
Yeah I gotcha. Sometime it's such a rare opportunity that you just gotta take the risk. Been waiting on my Steranko piece for about 7 months but I'm confident ill get it.

If I had a shot at getting a John Romita Sr commission, I may be inclined to take the risk too because he is my childhood idol. However, there are very very few artists I would consider taking the risk, and even then, I would ask why I would have to pay prior to the work beginning? Why is my trust worth less than their's? I'm good for the cash when the time comes. Why can't we simply meet on even ground and agree to pay when work is ready to begin? We'd all be on equal footing.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
TheORKINMan

Not to derail this thread but on an autograph collecting forum I frequent this rather depressing Romita Sr return came in after someone mailed him a sketch card:

Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
Edward-G
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
If I make a suggestion:
1) Do not ever place yourself in a position where you can lose control of your commission. No nicely drawn boobs or snarling Wolverine on a rooftop is worth the stress. Always set the terms. You are the paying customer, hence the boss.
2) Do not pay upfront for any commission unless the work is about to begin. Any other arrangement is risking a headache you do not need since there is NO ONE who either cares about what's happened to you or is in a position to save you from being taken for a ride (other than perhaps a united SF public vilification of the artist). Set the terms. If the artist doesn't like it, move on. There are plenty of other willing and fabulous artists out there who would gladly accept your more than fair terms. Treat artists like you would anyone else you hire, i.e., a carepenter, bike repair guy, and so on. Would you ever pay them two years in advance to do a job? Never. Artists are only entitled to be treated like kings because you treat them that way. You have a choice.
3) Make sure the artist knows that he has at most 45 days to finish the piece, at which point, you will file a paypal complaint. 45 days is more than enough to draw the boobs you want or the angry Batman screaming at his bat signal.
4) If he turns out to be in non-compliance, fire him (or her) and ask for a refund. Artwork from artists who have been dicking you around is no fun to own anyway. Of course, you have the choice to resend the money and set the meter back to day one.

If the overall experience goes well, hire him again and/or spread the well deserved word of the artist's professionalism and dependability.

While there are certainly circumstances where these suggestions may not apply, i.e., solid rep, I nonetheless highly recommend you take precautions because you can bet your behind that once the 45 days are up, you're at the artist's mercy, and you will have no one else to blame but yourself. Don't become a statistic.

Just my 2 cents.
Excellent advice that I will take to heart. I've already had a few negative experiences myself. I won't let the fact that I've long admired someone's work get in the way of seeing the commission process as a business transaction as well.
Edward-G is offline   Reply With Quote