Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #27041
protector2814
Phoenix

Black Sabbath (1963) 7/10

A horror anthology movie with jst 3 stores but 2 of them are quite good. One dealing with a revengeful corpse & the last dealing with a patriarchal vampire, played by Boris Karloff, that is probably the best vampire' short film I've ever seen. Beautifully shot.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #27042
Python
Omega Red

Terminator: Dark fate. 3/10

I went into this with an open mind as I enjoyed Genysis which was universally panned. This is easily the worst in the franchise by a mile, Genysis looks like a masterpiece next to this. Forgettable characters, same old story and some pretty poor cgi. Terminators used to be a genuinely menacing presence on screen, whatever the thing is in this movie is just silly. Don't waste your time...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #27043
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Shadow of the Vampire (2000) - The filming of Nosferatu (1922) is hampered by the fact that its star Max Schreck is taking the role of a vampire far more seriously than seems humanly possible.

I hadn't watched this in several years and forgot it's one of those films where non-English-speaking characters are talking to each other in perfect English. Aside from that personal peeve, it's easily one of the better vampire films I've ever seen. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #27044
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Black Sabbath (1963) 7/10

A horror anthology movie with jst 3 stores but 2 of them are quite good. One dealing with a revengeful corpse & the last dealing with a patriarchal vampire, played by Boris Karloff, that is probably the best vampire' short film I've ever seen. Beautifully shot.

I love this one, definitely beautifully shot with great use of color and atmosphere. Did you watch the english or italian version? there were quite a few differences between these versions, the story order was different, the phone call story was changed significantly in the english version, the english version had more karloff etc
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #27045
Asgard
Deadman

Avengers: Age of Ultron 7/10 - Good movie but Ultron is meh
Avengers: Infinity War - 10/10 - I love this movie. Thanos wins, the heroes lose. For me it's the real dark ending to the series
Avengers: Endgame - 8/10 - A last smash. The movie has some really good scenes. Hulk is meh but Thor is so cool
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #27046
Mister H
Gen 13

I watch Papillon every couple of years or so. Still 9/10.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #27047
built2shred
Phoenix

Batman Death in the Family 7/10

The story was pretty good but I found the whole "Choose your own Adventure" aspect of it annoying... At certain parts of the movie it gives you options, based on what you choose the story can change. If you don't choose anything then it plays all the options back to back...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #27048
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

just picked up this new Friday the 13th box set from Scream Factory, so naturally I had to start a Friday the 13th marathon! lol

Friday the 13th (1980) - I really enjoyed this, I haven't watched it in ages but it was better than I remembered. They did a really good job with the killer POV in this one, it sort of reminded me of a giallo movie in that regard, and it worked really well for the big killer reveal at the end. There weren't too many scenes with gore, but the scenes that had gore were exceptionally well done, not a surprise considering it was done by gore master Tom Savini. I gotta say I really like the campground setting for horror movies, camp Crystal Lake was perfectly done with a lot of atmosphere. I also thought it was cool that there was mainly only music when the killer was stalking somebody or present, it added to the suspense - 8.5/10

Friday the 13th: Part 2 (1981) - this movie is the first adult appearance of Jason in the series and the start of him as the killer. The first thing he does is go after the final girl from the first movie for reasons clear to anyone who has seen part one (the final girl actress from the first movie was supposed to be in all the Friday the 13th movies but after the first movie someone began stalking her and she was so terrified she didn't want to do anymore after part 2) Although Jason doesn't have his trademark hockey mask in this one (he gets that in part 3) I felt the sack worked well and was visually creepy. Another cool thing about this one is Jason actually runs in this movie, im assuming because this is when they were still trying to figure out what Jason would be, ultimately of course he ends up a lumbering unstoppable force of nature, but in this one hes more just deformed mountain man which was a cool idea, especially to see how he evolved as a character over the movies. Interesting to note, this movie doesn't follow the typical horror sequel formula by having more gore than the first, the producers specifically asked for less gore in part 2. There are deleted scenes of "long lost" gore in part 2 that were released officially for the first time in this new box set, but sadly its VHS quality and not cut into the movie, its only special features. Overall this was a really good sequel that moved the series in an entirely new direction after the first - 8/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #27049
ukshaun
Hercules

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
6.8/10

I tend to avoid Colin Farrell. Having spotted The Killing of a Sacred Deer in a bargain bin in a local super market, i thought i'd give it a chance. The story is odd, but in a good way. As much as i got it, i still had to Goggle 'explained' if only to make some aspects clearer. Over all i got it. Nicole Kidman along with the rest of the cast are excellent. Colin Farrell's character, who is somewhat detached, robotic, suited his skills perfectly.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #27050
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Selma (2014) - A chronicle of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, in 1965.

This is an outstanding snapshot of the life of Dr. King documenting an event that is sadly still relevant today. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote