Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #1011
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

They've already made an awful Berserker & Tracker.
Also an Elder which is pretty good despite the clown feet.

1 & 2 are always going to be more popular/saleable characters.
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #1012
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
Pulling the legs off of ants wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as watching people get worked up over a difference of opinion.
Lol that was not a no. You crack on good sir.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #1013
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Irrespective of the price difference, my understanding is that XM will only be doing 1/4 scale dioramas for their Predator license and not maquettes. They also aren't really known for screen accuracy. Just look at their Star Wars Boba Fett piece. It's a well done piece but it's a melding of comic and screen used elements. They have yet to prove their chops on doing a fully screen accurate character.

Also, there has been no official confirmation from Prime 1 that they have or will ever get the Predator license. It's all been speculation up to this point and that's all.
Firstly, XM is not just doing 1/4 scale dioramas for the Predator license. In fact, it is an XM creative license meaning they can create unique and cool Predators in cool and unique poses. All one has to do is think Narin style Predators / Aliens and you have just a PART of what XM can do. Also, they can create single Predators / Aliens I'm sure, it just probably won't be anything from the movies (which I am fine with because trying to have 100% accuracy to anything in film is a moot point in the Predator fan base IMO).

I'm just saying everyone needs to pump the brakes on the Alien / Predator XM talk until you see exactly what they are offering. I can tell you this...it will be big 1/4 and offer exciting poses. You can take that to the bank....literally!!!

Back to SS Predator talk. It would be great to see SS do some more unique poses on their Predators. And like you said about XM not proving their chops on doing screen accurate characters, the same thing can be said for SS with this Predator license.

How about we all give a care and stop being so anal retentive about super duper screen accuracy. Why not just enjoy the sculpt and the essence of the character? Predator and SW fans are just so damn persnickety.

Here here Predator and SW fans. Here is ABC and a great word that pertains to you all today.

Full Definition of persnickety

a : fussy about small details : fastidious <a persnickety teacher> b : having the characteristics of a snob

: requiring great precision <a persnickety job>

persnicketiness play \-nəs\ noun
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #1014
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
They've already made an awful Berserker & Tracker.
Also an Elder which is pretty good despite the clown feet.

1 & 2 are always going to be more popular/saleable characters.
Those were not 1/4 scale and SS didn't do it themselves. It was another party that worked on them I believe. I used to own all 3 and I loved them for what they were, but they were too small.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #1015
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Far from it, 2016 if anything is the year they basically got passed by in my book. P1, XM, Coolprops, Chronicle, and a few others all have better looking stuff. All I see from SS is same old art direction and inaccuracies with prices going up every couple months.
Not in my book. 2016 was easily the best year I have ever seen from Sideshow in regards to the quality of their designs. Just to name a few designs that have been absolutely amazing you have Red Sonja (one of the nicest sculpts I have ever seen from any company period), Dark Phoenix, Captain Marvel, Lady Death, Spider-Man, Green Goblin, Huntress, Groot & Rocket, Pfieffer Catwoman, Cleopsis, Shard, Skeletor, He-Man, TMNT's, and the list goes on and on. IMO, they have raised thier art direction to a whole new level this last year. Red Sonja and Skeletor are the 2 nicest sculpts I have ever seen come out of Sideshow. The only significant failure on thier end was Supergirl.

And comparing Sideshow to Prime 1 and Chronicle is laughable at best. Your comparing statues that are at least double the cost of Sideshow pieces. So of course thier going to be superior. For Prime 1 and Chronicle's sake, I would sure hope they would be superior, lol. Charging at least 2x the cost of Sideshow pieces and putting out pieces that were inferior would be a one trip ticket to the unemployment line.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #1016
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
. . . How about we all give a care and stop being so anal retentive about super duper screen accuracy. Why not just enjoy the sculpt and the essence of the character? Predator and SW fans are just so damn persnickety.

Here here Predator and SW fans. Here is ABC and a great word that pertains to you all today.

. . . persnickety:
fussy about small details: fastidious
having the characteristics of a snob
requiring great precision
You were doing quite well until these last bits - then you went off the rails a bit

Liking this or disliking this does not equate to "how big a predator fan" you are. It simply means you like it or don't.

But as regards accuracy - it is NOT accurate in several IMPORTANT respects. THAT bit is fact. On a $350 1/5 or 1/6 statue that's easier to forgive, especially when (like UK buses) there could be another one along soon. On a 1/4 scale maquette - 11 years since the last P1 was announced - it's of course going to be a bit of a poke-in-the-eye to many.

The sculptors are amazing artists - I mean - just look at it - SO much talent there to produce something like this . . . it's just that it wasn't vetted/critiqued/improved by "those who should have" (art directors or otherwise).

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #1017
SuperDinoHunter
Hellboy

The more I look at the Predator Jungle Hunter from SS the more excited I am to receive it! The pose is amazing, yes it's not an in your face action pose. Do I like action poses? Yes I absolutely do, an example would the new spidey PF. I feel this pose for the Predator is simply bad ass!!! It captures the essence of THE PREDATOR, like many have mentioned, that scene where he comes out of the water and then stands static scanning his head around for Dutch and then turning to move away. Just classic! For a museum pose, there could not have been a better pose in my eyes.

My two main concerns would be the armour placement on that right leg and the gap between the biomask and the top of the head. This is a tough one to rank for most bothersome, I would love to see sideshow adjust both these two issues. The other concerns brought up do not concern me at all. These two need to be altered by SS. If I had to pick one, it would be the big gap would be priority to me.

The head being too big on the bio is a non issue. It is fine and doesn't look out of the ordinary for me. It appears to be the camera angles and depth of the perspective. Or vice versa, the body is to skinny, not beefy enough? The body looks perfect to me, the predator from the first movie is lean and muscular. This is captured nicely in the sculpt! The unmasked head being to elongated? Well again it appears that the angle on that one pic may have exaggerated the length. If you look at the side by side head comparison with the bio and unmasked, it looks boss!

I have this on pre order, this is going to be one kick ass statue! I have absolute faith sideshow can pull this off and give fans something to to behold! It's definitely an complicated piece to tackle with the details on the paint apps etc. SS, take your time and put in the care to get this coming out like this Proto (minus the leg armour and bio gap)! On closer inspection, the paint work on the amour is out of this world with the metallic weathered look! The unmasked head paint on the patterns and skin texture looks absolutely fantastic and naturally organic....look at those eyes, very menacing and simple look! I completely dig it with the life like portrait! Even the patterns on the body, love it! Maybe real metal blades on his right arm will be added cause it will be epic!

This is definitely an intricate piece that can come out beautiful. It has a lot going for it but will need that extra effort and care put into it during production! Now give us this epic predator maquette in all its glory! We believe it can be done!!!! Now the long and painful wait!!!
SuperDinoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #1018
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
What's ALSO interesting is that since it's a 10% discount and the NRD is 10% - they cancel one-another out so my order would be placed and ZERO would get charged at this point.

So I could then sit back with an EX secured and cancel at the last minute if nothing has changed with what will be delivered.

However - since we already know that nothing WILL be changed, there's little point

That's not how discounts work. You would still be charged an NRD of the TOTAL price you paid. i.e. $112.50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Irrespective of the price difference, my understanding is that XM will only be doing 1/4 scale dioramas for their Predator license and not maquettes. They also aren't really known for screen accuracy. Just look at their Star Wars Boba Fett piece. It's a well done piece but it's a melding of comic and screen used elements. They have yet to prove their chops on doing a fully screen accurate character.

Also, there has been no official confirmation from Prime 1 that they have or will ever get the Predator license. It's all been speculation up to this point and that's all.
I agree. XM's pieces will NOT be 100% screen accurate and that's also just not what they're going for. Loricstone has already confirmed that, so if you so-called hardcore accurate Predator fans are waiting for XM, then I'm sure you'll be just as disappointed.

Finally, some thoughts about the gap in the mask. I'm thinking that maybe the mask wasn't pushed into the head far enough for the photo shoot. As you can see from the SDCC pics, the mask sits flush with the head here. Why would they change that for the final piece? I'd like Igo to comment on this as I think he could confirm my suspicions.

marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #1019
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
That's not how discounts work. You would still be charged an NRD of the TOTAL price you paid. i.e. $112.50. . . .
Nope - I saw the invoice. It clearly showed the amount removed from the NRD . . . net charge at this time was zero.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #1020
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
You were doing quite well until these last bits - then you went off the rails a bit

Liking this or disliking this does not equate to "how big a predator fan" you are. It simply means you like it or don't.

But as regards accuracy - it is NOT accurate in several IMPORTANT respects. THAT bit is fact. On a $350 1/5 or 1/6 statue that's easier to forgive, especially when (like UK buses) there could be another one along soon. On a 1/4 scale maquette - 11 years since the last P1 was announced - it's of course going to be a bit of a poke-in-the-eye to many.

The sculptors are amazing artists - I mean - just look at it - SO much talent there to produce something like this . . . it's just that it wasn't vetted/critiqued/improved by "those who should have" (art directors or otherwise).

I'm not refuting the accuracy part...believe me...but there is also a lot to appreciate about this SS Predator statue as well.

It's like the kid that comes home with all A's and one B on his / her report card and the parents only look at the B instead of congratulaing him on all the A's. Sure, talk about the B because we can all improve, but don't forget to praise the A's.