Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #81
Cromulon
Justice League

I am a huge Alien fan. I find this very interesting and terrifying looking. I look forward to adding this to my colllection. Sideshow sucks, yeah we all know, nothing new. In terms of Alien, this design is wicked. The colors are well done. The sculpt is amazing. The price should reflect a very strict quality control. Jonesy is always a nice touch to any alien item. You people complain too much. So much negativity over a statue when some people on here would except a pile of trash with spidermans face on it. Knowledge of construction materials is lacking in these forums. Especially for the people who say everything should be made of polystone...
Cromulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #82
Blue_Liquid
Fantastic Four

Mine arrived. I love it. A completely unique take on the Aliens, refreshing and a job well done, IMHO. Mixes things up with all the other 'true to form' versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	126942   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	126943   Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	126944   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	126945   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	126946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	126947   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	126948   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	126949  
Blue_Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #83
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I've had this for a week now. I viewed all available vids, read all posts before considering to buy. Though vids were more positive in their assessment, no one seemed to have understood, nor commented on the true origins & nature of this design, as stated by Sideshow. As for the extremely "negative" posts regarding this forum? Insultingly shocking, grossly premature, & creatively destructive.

A quick youtube search reveals an abundance of doc footage, yes from Giger to Scott, showing how EVERY element in this Alien concept was actually designed, and in many cases, actually attempted to incorporate these very design elements into the original Alien film! The failure to do so, was mainly due to time constraints, budget, & most importantly, the special effects of the day were unable to convincingly replicate these PREFERRED design elements, rendering them unconvincing on film. So they SETTLED for a darker, more obscured, minimal screen time(4min.) inferior creature design.

From flesh tone colour palette, elongated clear dome, longer insect like limbs, a crouched/menacing stance, shortened dorsal breathing tubes, a more insect/biomech design, showcasing exposed skull prominently, a feminine vibe(as Giger intended, as reflected in his art that inspired the creature). Again, ALL of these elements were either seriously considered, and/or actually attempted for the film. Yes, as this sculpt represents.

As for some commenting that Sideshow nor Legacy know, or understand the Alien franchise is beyond belief and insult.The Legacy crew are the same people who worked on the second film, with access to Giger, all original design elements/concepts. EVERYTHING. WTF more do you need?

In short, this Alien design represents everything the creators were unable to achieve at the time, & have, thankfully, present to us now. And without a doubt, this work is a respectful, thoughtful, hyper detailed, masterful sculpt, managing to incorporate the "lost" elements so loved by Giger/Scott. A respectful ode, & yes a creatively faithful one, to the master that was Giger. I'm sure he would be pleased, awed, flattered.

And a Giger "wink" as an added cheeky bonus, (or is it an added boner?), you get a stylized penis, as represented as the creature's incased brain, complete with head & slit. An erotic nod to the alien knob, and a bow to Giger's erotic art. Brilliant.

As for the statue itself? Though a little small & expensive, & yes, does have some pvc elements, this in short is a masterpiece of a sculpt, in every sense, though paint could always be improved with mass produced product. Museum quality. The hyper detailing, the pose, balance and flow, make this unparalleled. It's presence, and creepy, menacing vibe is wickedly perfect, with a sense of movement which is unnerving. Almost a breathing, truly organic coiled creature, ready to pounce. Breathtaking.

I owned the original Sideshow Alien warrior sculpt for a few yrs, & sold it a few yrs back. I loved that statue, & regretted selling on many occasions. Until now. This work is 10 times better, in every way. No, wait.................that would be unfair. This work is at least 20 times better than the legendary warrior sculpt. In every way.

If you are an Alien fan, a Giger fan, a creature fan, a monster fan, a fantasy art fan, you should take another look. Search for a deal, as I did. You will not regret, as this should/ & will be recognized. In time.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #84
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
As for the extremely "negative" posts regarding this forum? Insultingly shocking, grossly premature, & creatively destructive.
I think I can reply to this as my comments were pretty respectful. I'm glad you like this, it's always nice when you can really appreciate a statue and it happens less and less these days for me. But the fact that pretty much nobody seems to like this suggests that Sideshow missed the mark for the majority of their potential customers (presumably most of us) And then they just completely shot their own foot off by pricing this thing so insanely. This thing, along with the Wolf LSB that they had the amazing idea of producing in awful, cheap PVC is lounging in their warehouse now, being regularly pushed on social media etc and likely will for a long time. They are their own worst enemy at times which is a shame as they do lots of good stuff also. I don't think anybody has questioned Legacy's ... erm ... Legacy for lack of a better word.

I can appreciate them trying something different, but this one clearly didn't gel with the people it needed to. It's also had the opposite effect to usual on me. Usually I mellow and start liking statues more as time goes by. But I look at this now and it just doesn't appeal to me at all. Other than the dome which is beautiful. Gigers final Alien design was eerily beautiful, this isn't. And some things were left on the drawing board for a reason, like the bug eyes of the recent Alien mythos LSB which just look bad imo (Please just give us a masked City hunter LSB Sideshow!) I'm actually surprised that this one wasn't cancelled, but I'm happy for you that it wasn't, I bet it's more collectible than the official number on the base states as well.. All of that said, opinions are just opinions and aren't right or wrong no matter how many people share them. So it shouldn't alter your high opinion of this. Some of my favorite statues were relative sales flops (The Engineer etc)
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #85
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I think I can reply to this as my comments were pretty respectful. I'm glad you like this, it's always nice when you can really appreciate a statue and it happens less and less these days for me. But the fact that pretty much nobody seems to like this suggests that Sideshow missed the mark for the majority of their potential customers (presumably most of us) And then they just completely shot their own foot off by pricing this thing so insanely. This thing, along with the Wolf LSB that they had the amazing idea of producing in awful, cheap PVC is lounging in their warehouse now, being regularly pushed on social media etc and likely will for a long time. They are their own worst enemy at times which is a shame as they do lots of good stuff also. I don't think anybody has questioned Legacy's ... erm ... Legacy for lack of a better word.

I can appreciate them trying something different, but this one clearly didn't gel with the people it needed to. It's also had the opposite effect to usual on me. Usually I mellow and start liking statues more as time goes by. But I look at this now and it just doesn't appeal to me at all. Other than the dome which is beautiful. Gigers final Alien design was eerily beautiful, this isn't. And some things were left on the drawing board for a reason, like the bug eyes of the recent Alien mythos LSB which just look bad imo (Please just give us a masked City hunter LSB Sideshow!) I'm actually surprised that this one wasn't cancelled, but I'm happy for you that it wasn't, I bet it's more collectible than the official number on the base states as well.. All ofd that said, opinions are just opinions and aren't right or wrong no matter how many people share them. So it shouldn't alter your high opinion of this. Some of my favorite statues were relative sales flops (The Engineer etc)
I have nothing against opinions, even negative ones. But what i do have issues with is the ignorant, insightful, clearly disrespectful ones. This should have been judged on what it was based on, not on what it is not. And by your reasoning, the masses at large are the true barometer of what constitutes good art? Really? The majority of "fans", sadly, have just been hooked into the commercialized version of alien, & cannot, or are unable to visualize or go further. Unless, released in a movie version, or a comic book of course. That's what makes it real, and better art? Fck me man. Open wide boys, and expand the palette, cause Vincent is rolling in his grave.

P.S. As for the cutting room floor remark? They cut it, because they couldn't "cut" it. Get it?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #86
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
And by your reasoning, the masses at large are the true barometer of what constitutes good art? Really?

Quote:
All of that said, opinions are just opinions and aren't right or wrong no matter how many people share them.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. Art can be whatever the artist wants and it'll resonate differently with different people, it'd be a boring world if it didn't. But if you're making a product that you want a large number of people to buy, you need to make it appealing to them. This statue very clearly wasn't to many potential customers for various reasons. Again, I'm honestly glad you like it so much, enjoy it and try not to worry too much about what an internet forum thinks.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #87
Divo

Quote:
I mean, I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. Art can be whatever the artist wants and it'll resonate differently with different people, it'd be a boring world if it didn't. But if you're making a product that you want a large number of people to buy, you need to make it appealing to them. This statue very clearly wasn't to many potential customers for various reasons. Again, I'm honestly glad you like it so much, enjoy it and try not to worry too much about what an internet forum thinks.

Hi Python,

Just so you understand, I'm not the guy who needs convincing, or follows the crowd at large when it comes to collecting. I don't care about edition size, nor repeated characters (as long as done well, or better than the last), nor overly hyped companies. What I do care about is the integrity of good, creative art, & it's rightful space to thrive.

This work from SS is a high quality creative creature venture, though not obviously the iconic movie version. What is perplexing, & frustrating is the comments completely trashing the work, (trash, crap, SS & Legacy lost..etc), from top to bottom no less, with no real insight, other than comparing differences to the original, which is naively silly. And a lot of the snowballing hate for SS is consistently fuelled by a mob mentality of a few, though some of the loudest have started coming around.

So please Python, humour/educate me, and take the time to critique the Mythos without comparing it to the original design, which it was never meant to be in the first place. Try to look at it with fresh eyes, & as a unique creature creation. I look forward to a thoughtful, objective, detailed critique on why this creature design is such a huge failure for so many.

I leave you with this for inspiration.

"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... And know the place for the first time."

T.S. Eliot
Old 10-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #88
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
So please Python, humour/educate me, and take the time to critique the Mythos without comparing it to the original design, which it was never meant to be in the first place. Try to look at it with fresh eyes, & as a unique creature creation. I look forward to a thoughtful, objective, detailed critique on why this creature design is such a huge failure for so many.
I'm not going to do that as it's not really a statue I like very much from a purely aesthetic stand point. I've already spent more time talking about it today than I'd have chosen to. My original reply was simply to point out the nature of forums and why they shouldn't matter too much to your own opinions. Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody like minded will come along and give you the debate you'd like, but if you expect that kind of thing, you may be in the wrong place. Not to talk down about this community of which there are plenty of great members, but we aren't all art connoisseurs around here. I'm certainly not and I'm sure you're way more educated on the subject than I am. I just like statues of various creatures and characters. I'll debate Gigers "Big chap" with you all day long and argue its case as being the best on screen creature ever designed quite happily as it's something I have a passion for, maybe I am boring, but the original Alien sells and Sideshow haven't really made a decent one in a long time, it wouldn't be a bad business move to do so. I already gave the reasons above as to why I suspect this is a (commercial) flop. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad statue which is always open for debate.

I fully agree about pointless comments calling stuff crap with no reason as to why, I'd much rather see constructive discussion (negative and positive) But you're always going to get that on the internet I'm afraid, I didn't do this. Again, I'm sincerely happy that this statue brings you happiness, enjoy it.

All of that said, there is an art section, maybe start a thread there about there about your opinions of art in statue form or however you'd wish to word it. Maybe you'll stir up some similar thoughts and emotions and find more appreciation for this statue than most of us can give it.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #89
HeavyMetalSpike

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
You're more patient than me Matt

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #90
Strychnine
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'm more of an Alien original design purist, but I kind of like this one. I almost pulled the trigger on this, but I can't get over the lower leg joints/hands. You have to give them props for doing something different though. Hey, at least it's not a Predalien.
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote