Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #24011
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Average sci-fi movie but the twist was interesting.
I saw half of the twist coming, but the other half sort of surprised me.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #24012
Barbarian
Jedi Order

This is something that has always bothered me. Maybe it’s just me. I dunno. But stating that there is a twist seems to be a spoiler of sorts. Is it just me? Well, speaking to some of my friends and colleagues tells me no. It isn’t just me. Once it is heard that there is a twist, you waste time looking for twist opportunities and you are pulled away from the movie.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #24013
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
This is something that has always bothered me. Maybe it’s just me. I dunno. But stating that there is a twist seems to be a spoiler of sorts. Is it just me? Well, speaking to some of my friends and colleagues tells me no. It isn’t just me. Once it is heard that there is a twist, you waste time looking for twist opportunities and you are pulled away from the movie.
Oops sorry, I actually meant to type I did not see the twister coming. There was a really big hurricane in the movie. Just mistyped it, sorry for the confusion.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #24014
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Oops sorry, I actually meant to type I did not see the twister coming. There was a really big hurricane in the movie. Just mistyped it, sorry for the confusion.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #24015
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Mission Impossible Fallout 8/10.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #24016
abarron
Batman

Hitman Agent 47

6/10 Nothing special
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #24017
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: I loved it! In my opinion the best of the whole franchise and the best action movie since Mad Max: Fury Road. Tom Cruise keeps delivering after all those years. 5/5.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #24018
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

So over the past week I pulled a M:I marathon leading into seeing Fallout. Really glad I did as these films represent one of the greatest franchises of the past 2 decades. It’d been a while since I’d seen some of these so it was a blast watching them in succession.

Mission: Impossible - 7/10

While this film has started to show it’s age a bit it still holds up. De Palma relies on a strong narrative with plenty of misdirection and satisfying twists making this more spy/espionage thriller than action film. While Cruise undoubtedly carries the film it sets the standard going forward of a strong supporting ensemble cast.

Mission: Impossible II - 7.5/10

Widely regarded as the weakest entry in the franchise you can’t deny John Woo is responsible for shifting the franchise to a more adrenaline fueled action vehicle. I personally think this film gets a bad rap as I enjoyed the more imposing physical threats from the villains here. The narrative is unquestionably more simplistic this time around but the cat & mouse routine established in the first film is ramped up as Hunt’s adversary is a match for him on every level.

Mission: Impossible III - 9/10

JJ Abrams takes his experience from the excellent spy/thriller tv series Alias and applies it to the M:I franchise with fantastic effect. Again the antagonist is strong and imposing which ads a ton for me in these types of films. With an increased emphasis on tension, character development and intrigue he delivers one of the strongest installments.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 8/10

Where most franchises start to get long in the tooth by their 4th entry the M:I series manages to stay fresh by giving another Director a crack at bringing something new to the table without changing the successful formula. Brad Bird delivers some of the most impressive action set pieces to date while also furthering the character development established in the last film. While I enjoyed M:I 3 more, mostly due to the lack of a well developed antagonist here, this is still a strong entry and helped solidify the franchise for the next decade or more.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - 9.5/10

For me this is where the franchise really ramps up. The plot surrounding The Syndicate is highly intriguing and easily the most layered/complex narrative to date. The ensemble cast haas never been stronger with the addition of Ilsa Faust to the game and the villains are once again a match for Hunt on every level. Christopher McQuarrie’s direction is brilliant. Probably my favorite entry in the franchise but with Fallout fresh on my mind it’s hard to pick one over the other right now.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - 9.5/10

A very satisfying conclusion to not only the narrative established in Rogue Nation but to the M:I series as a whole. Lots of fan service here for those attentive enough to pick it all up tying all the way back to the first film. McQuarrie proves he has this series down probably better than any of the Directors to come before him. Hence him being the only one to helm a second feature. I can’t think of another franchise in history where the material continues to get better. Fallout and Rogue Nation mark a high point for the series making it arguably the best action spy series running to date.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #24019
SONICobra
Bane

damn now i really want to do an M.I. marathon...
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #24020
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
damn now i really want to do an M.I. marathon...
Marathons like that are something I regularly do when a new entry in a favorite franchise hits. This was one of the more fulfilling I’ve had in recent memory. I highly recommend doing one if you haven’t seen Fallout yet.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote