Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #111
off
The X-Men

I get why Abrams re-hashed A New Hope, fan service for the oldies, telling the story again for a new generation while incorporating the new characters to send off into an entire new universe. It just seems like Johnson was like f all that, I'll do what I want. Abrams, to me, appeared to at least wanted to stay true to Star Wars, the characters, story and fans, I don't know what the heck Johnson was thinking.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #112
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

"There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the box office, the Bluray, the toys, and the whole franchise, and I spare your dignity. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have until December 2019 to decide."
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 AM   #113
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
I get why Abrams re-hashed A New Hope, fan service for the oldies, telling the story again for a new generation while incorporating the new characters to send off into an entire new universe. It just seems like Johnson was like f all that, I'll do what I want. Abrams, to me, appeared to at least wanted to stay true to Star Wars, the characters, story and fans, I don't know what the heck Johnson was thinking.
All I know is every director with the exception of Rian fought with Kennedy over the stories... That's why she ended up firing so many directors because they wouldn't do exactly what she wanted..

This is defiantly Kennedy's version of the Star Wars Universe.... and were not going to get anything different until Disney fires her...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #114
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
All I know is every director with the exception of Rian fought with Kennedy over the stories... That's why she ended up firing some many directors because they wouldn't do exactly what she wanted..

This is defiantly Kennedy's version of the Star Wars Universe.... and were not going to get anything different until Disney fires her...
Could very well be!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #115
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post

"There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the box office, the Bluray, the toys, and the whole franchise, and I spare your dignity. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have until December 2019 to decide."
Bwhahahahaha
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #116
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
All I know is every director with the exception of Rian fought with Kennedy over the stories... That's why she ended up firing so many directors because they wouldn't do exactly what she wanted..

That’s probably why he was awarded a new SW trilogy to control.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #117
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
That’s probably why he was awarded a new SW trilogy to ruin.
There I fixed it for ya.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #118
SONICobra
Batman

i enjoyed TFA but admit its far from perfect and disney themselves has admitted it is pretty much the same exact story as ANH (was done intentionally supposedly) i pretty much hated TLJ though, have no desire to ever watch it again or even acknowledge it exists - i just thought it was a bad movie not just a bad SW movie, plain as that

ive been rewatching clone wars for i think the third time now recently, parts of that show still give me chills. thats what i want back from star wars, that feeling of wonder and adventure no other movie franchise can duplicate. i dont understand how you can have such a rich story to tell where there are literally no limitations beyond the filmmakers own imagination yet they fumble so bad. i have no idea how theyll come back from TLJ but i am hoping they can coarse correct this early on and next one will give me chills again (this time good ones lol)
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #119
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
I just don't get why Abrams and Rian Johnson had to duplicate the basic story of the original trilogy.
SW fans are ruthless. Too close to OT is duplicative. Too far and it’s not a true SW film.

TFA was a good film. Some good humour. Somewhat gritty. Great fight scenes. Not overly complicated.

TLJ was a complete horror show. The humour was terrible. The story was terrible. The characters were terrible.

Rogue One was by far one of the greatest SW movies ever made.

There is hope. The franchise is a complete gamble. If Disney is smart they will acknowledge what has worked and what has failed. There is a simple formula in each film that works with SW fans.

The galaxy is under a terraneous rule.
The galaxy is a dark place. Gritty. Villainous. Ruthless.
There are familiar alien races of which many are threatening.
The force is being pulled in each direction. It is a sacred power not understood by most.
The characters are relatable and are each on a quest of their own.
The dark side is represented by a dark warrior from an ancient fraternity.
There is a brotherly bond between the heroes and friendship and trust among them is paramount.
There is a wild side to the galaxy represented by a large feral monster.
The relationship between father, son, and mentor.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #120
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
I'm not so sure, look at Marvel I don't see much fatigue or diminishing returns there...

All it takes are good stories, something DC and Star Wars lack....
The Marvel cinematic universe is a little different in that they are multiple franchises with differing themes and styles. Sci-Fi, War, heist, mythology, etc.

Not everyone goes to the cinema to watch Cap, Ant Man, Thor, Doc Strange or GotG. If you're a fan of a particular franchise you have a couple years between films to get excited for the next film in that franchise.

I know lots of people who used to rush out and see every Marvel film in cinemas, that don't anymore.

However pretty much everyone goes to see the Avengers. Some will catch up on the other films via streaming, blu-ray or other means but ultimately, box office tells us that's the one people flock to.

If there was an Avengers movie every year, I bet you they wouldn't be pulling in 1 - 2 billion dollars per movie.

Now with Star Wars, every film will be a Sci-Fi film. This is compounded by the fact that all spin off films are still firmly centred around the core cast and existing films. Rogue One is basically 3.5, Han Solo is an origin story... slight changes but it's all very... samey.

Star Wars was always "the thing you need to experience in cinemas", now well, eh, there will be one next year, I might catch that one in cinemas.

At best, the core trilogy films should be three years apart. As for the spin offs, they should have held off until they had developed something worth telling.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote