Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'm a little Disappointed Blade Runner isn't up for more as well as Wonder Woman.
With all the critical acclaim Blade Runner 2049 received, it could have easily been that final tenth nomination for best picture. It got a higher Metacritic score than Darkest Hour. And the fact that it bored much of the general audience fits right in line with the movies usually chosen by the academy.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
I'm a little Disappointed Blade Runner isn't up for more as well as Wonder Woman.
5 nominations is nothing to whine about for Blade Runner, considering most sci-fi films rarely get nominated for categories other than f/x.

There are always exceptions, such as Sigorney Weaver who was nominated for Lead Actress in ALIENS but that was 30 years ago.

Same for Wonder Woman --it's considered a scifi/superhero niche so, at best, you're lucky to get Costume, Score, or Effects.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
5 nominations is nothing to whine about for Blade Runner, considering most sci-fi films rarely get nominated for categories other than f/x.

There are always exceptions, such as Sigorney Weaver who was nominated for Lead Actress in ALIENS but that was 30 years ago.

Same for Wonder Woman --it's considered a scifi/superhero niche so, at best, you're lucky to get Costume, Score, or Effects.
Yeah but Blade Runner could easily be up for Director and Best Picture. I mean the film was fantastic, but as usual the Oscars are a stuffy group.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Yeah but Blade Runner could easily be up for Director and Best Picture. I mean the film was fantastic, but as usual the Oscars are a stuffy group.
Don't feel too bad for Denis Villeneuve.

If you recall, he was nominated by the Academy the previous year for his film Arrival in the categories for Best Director, Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and winning for Best Sound Editing.

It's rare that the Academy will nominate you in repeated years, unless your last name is Spielberg.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Only part i watch now is the recap of who died, always moving. Hollywood is just too annoying now and i don't even know most of the movies anymore.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Glad to see I am the not the only one who thinks that Bladerunner 2049 was grossly overlooked. Cinematography and Visual Imagery are the only nominations that seem like they should win....

Ryan Gosling, IMO, deserved a nomination. And with the Best Picture pool being expanded, I thought for sure it would make it in.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Ryan Gosling, IMO, deserved a nomination. And with the Best Picture pool being expanded, I thought for sure it would make it in.
I liked him in the film but it's wasn't enough to garner a nomination in my book. Not enough range with emotion.

He deserved it in La La Land more.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #18
Luminous
Cyclops

Fairly entertaining night. Best part of the night is Roger Deakins finally getting his Oscar though.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #19
built2shred
Phoenix

If your movie is Sci-Fi or Comedy your automatically disqualified.... every blue moon they feel pity and nominated one but for the most part 99% of the nominations are dramas. And when they do nominate one is usually a poor choice like The Shape of Water... The movie was ok but no way Movie of the year....

This is why the Oscars are so boring and why their ratings keep dropping.... They keep nominating movies most people have never seen or heard of....

Trying to think but has their been a movie that has made over a billion dollars nominated for an Oscar (other then technical awards?) you would think if a movie makes well over a billion dollars it most be really liked by the general viewing audience but no they nominate movies that barely make $20 million....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #20
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post

Trying to think but has their been a movie that has made over a billion dollars nominated for an Oscar (other then technical awards?)
Not sure but Lord of the Rings maybe?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote