Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Before I wrote this, I searched SF for the earlier comic' thread pertaining to this DC, HB launch & couldn't find it ....
Here it is: http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...ghlight=scooby

Of course other than Future Quest, the reaction back then was overwhelmingly negative. It's good to see some people giving the books a chance instead of dismissing them entirely before they are even released.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
protector2814
Phoenix

I thought the 2nd ish of The Flintstones was very good. Like the original cartoon, some semi-serious social commentary is being made on today's society, just cleverly disguised w/ Fred's zany outlook. Updated w/ odd yet funny violence. Mark Russell's take is wildly refreshing & can be compared to what's going on over at Archie w/ the zombie, Sabrina, & Mark Waid' modern updates. Still, I have a feeling that this book may not make it. People looking for that familiar "Flintstones" feeling may not find it, & those too young to remember the Flintstones might not try or even get this book. Hope I'm wrong, 'cause I think it's a really strong, funny, well written & drawn fun comic.

* side note - Last week's Future Quest was a Birdman specific book & was also an excellent read.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

I flicked through the first issue of Wacky Raceland (got the Penelope Pitstop cover) and the only people I remember/recognize are:

Penelope Pitstop
Peter Perfect
The Anthill Mob
Dick Dastardly & Mutley

Haven't watched the show in a long time though or done any research beforehand
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

Just read the 1st issue of DC's new The Jetsons comic. Loved it. Jimmy Palmiotti finally reveals why humans in the Jetson's era live above earth in sky-cities. The story continues after being teased, between George & the house-robot, Rosie, exploring some very philosophical questions never covered before in comics. The book tones up the Jetson's believability; George is far from a boob & the kids are quite believable as is George & Jane's honest relationship. Astro's there but more as just a dog. Like the Flintstones a little while back, DC & Hanna-Barbera's team-up on this Jetson's book seems to be under-the-radar yet well worth checking out. Great art by Pier Brito.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't care about them. Make Flintstones exactly like at my childhood then i may think of getting it. Other than that no interest.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #16
protector2814
Phoenix

I get it. I grew up watching the Flintstones, The Jetsons, Johnny Quest & other Hanna Barbera cartoons so these DC revisits have my interest. But honestly, I was never quite sure who these new versions are being marketed to besides older readers. So far, they've been, all-in-all, very good but there's got to be a very limited audience.

Weird though, because Archie's re-vamps seem to be really working & appealing to a much greater readership.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #17
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I flipped through the first issue of the new Dastardly And Muttley comic at the store. The premise is bizarre.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
whd
Suicide Squad

Flintstones was a great read! Haven't had a chance to dig into the Jetsons. FutureQuest Presents hasn't been as solid a story as was found in the previous title.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #19
protector2814
Phoenix

2nd issue of The Jetsons dropped yesterday & I'm still really liking it. It's very Sci-Fi & definitely geared more towards an adult audience. Kudos to DC for taking such a chance.

Also - Did anyone else pick up the Space Ghost/Galaxy Trio book that hit 2 weeks back? My gosh it was good but I still don't understand the audience DC is trying to go for with this Hanna Barbera' Future Quest exploration? Who, under 40, knows these fabulous cosmic heroes? In this issue Space Ghost battles ... than recruits The Galaxy Trio into his rebuilt space police force. Very Good stuff.

I just can't see Marvel attempting anything like DC is doing with their Hanna Barbera line. I hope it lasts a while.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #20
protector2814
Phoenix

Another Push - I've just finished the 4th issue of DC/Hanna Barbera's The Jetsons & it's really becoming something great. I've been reading comics for decades & this book by Jimmy Palmiotti & Pier Brito is shaping up to be one of the best Science-Fiction comics I've read. Like the Flintstones earlier in the DC/HB team-up, The Jetsons takes the characters, dumps the bafoonery, adds a heavy dose of realism, &, in this case, centers the story in the middle of some very interesting science fiction, complete with answers concerning the Jetson's place in the future, tech that could come, & earth-ending situations. If you have't flipped thru a copy on the racks, you should. This is not the Jetsons you may be thinking of.