Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 PM   #11
actionjackson83
Midnighter

You want corona virus on your boxes that get to you? It can survive in the outside on objects for 9 days. Just saying!
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #12
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I think we also have to think about how long it takes for something to get from China to the US. Most imported items are shipped on a boat and then get stuck in customs for a while. So depending on the ship date to the time it gets into your hands could be almost a month
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:52 AM   #13
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I think we also have to think about how long it takes for something to get from China to the US. Most imported items are shipped on a boat and then get stuck in customs for a while. So depending on the ship date to the time it gets into your hands could be almost a month
Unless your an XM collector and you end up with the $300 3 day air shipping
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #14
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Unless your an XM collector and you end up with the $300 3 day air shipping
well according to my friend who is an oncology nurse she said that certain viruses can be killed with bleach wipes. Not sure if you would want to wipe your box, art box and statue down with a Lemon scented Clorox wipe though.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:25 AM   #15
PacMan3000
The Spirit

Nice to finally see other people talking about this. Although I'm in no way panicked about the virus living on a packed statue or box (and still being alive once it gets to you), I'd be lying if the thought of it didn't give me considerable pause.

I'm finding myself in a bit of a holding pattern for what to do for statues expected to arrive soon. Part of me wants to be 100% rational about it all (if viruses easily came in boxes, there'd be no humanity left), but the other part of me is struggling due to everything still being relatively new, on-going, and seemingly spreading.

I honestly don't quite know what to do.
PacMan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:59 AM   #16
built2shred
Phoenix

Put it in a 9-day garage quarantine...
Old 02-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #17
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

While the situation in China is dire (whether you believe the media or not), I hope this situation gives companies a moment to reflect on their production strategies.

In the bike industry, because of the US / China trade war, a lot of smaller boutique companies brought production back to their home countries. I hope this situation causes a similar rethink in the collectibles sector.

I'm not suggesting that "made in country x" will be better than China, but I'd like to see more of these statues made in limited quantities, with higher value, made in-house by the same artists responsible for the prototypes we so often see.

Suggesting such a thing 2 months ago would have been ridiculous, but in the wake of something as devastating as the Coronavirus, such a thing doesn't seem so far fetched.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:00 AM   #18
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
While the situation in China is dire (whether you believe the media or not), I hope this situation gives companies a moment to reflect on their production strategies.

In the bike industry, because of the US / China trade war, a lot of smaller boutique companies brought production back to their home countries. I hope this situation causes a similar rethink in the collectibles sector.

I'm not suggesting that "made in country x" will be better than China, but I'd like to see more of these statues made in limited quantities, with higher value, made in-house by the same artists responsible for the prototypes we so often see.

Suggesting such a thing 2 months ago would have been ridiculous, but in the wake of something as devastating as the Coronavirus, such a thing doesn't seem so far fetched.
They'll just move production to other countries with cheap labor...
Old 02-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #19
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
They'll just move production to other countries with cheap labor...
It depends on how damaging and long lasting this situation is. If the impact is big enough, they may decide they're better off "in house".....not to mention how this move would allow them to scale up pricing and it would be an immediate PR boost.

In the short term they may search out alternative secondary "support" manufacturing locations - but this seems unlikely given the scale and type of manufacturing we're talking about.

OR, they may just ask consumers to suck it up, accept the delays and carry on like nothing happened - I guess sadly, this is the more probable outcome.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
I wonder how long the virus can live on surfaces if someone infected sneezes on your statue before boxing it up to ship to you...

"The viruses generally cannot survive for more than a few hours on surfaces outside a human host, but people can pick up a coronavirus from a contaminated surface for a short window of time, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Center for the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said during a CDC news conference in early 2020. Scientists don't yet know how long the novel coronavirus can survive outside a host."

https://www.livescience.com/what-are-coronaviruses.html
Python is offline   Reply With Quote