Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #1001
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
This might be something that should be in the framed thread, but I wanted to make sure anyone who is considering framing Mondo prints sees this. The following was posted by me on the EB forum:

"Back in September of 2014, I created a thread about the discoloration I found on my Ansin Looper print (http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewt...p?f=3&t=144260) after removing it from a frame that had both conservation glass and an acid free mat. All of the edges of the art side of that print had a dark discoloration. Basically where the print rests on the mat. That discussion led me to be concerned about my Stout Akira. Well I finally had the chance to take the framed Akira back to my framer for an inspection. Unfortunately we found that the same discoloration was present:

Despite the crappy cell phone pics, the darker edge along the bottom should be noticeable. Because the part of the paper that doesn't touch the mat is the same color as the back of the print, the framer and I are confident in saying that this is not the result of light damage that came in through the UV glass. The only part of of the entire print (front and back) that seems to have been affected is the part that makes contact with the mat. With Looper we thought it could be the mat itself and Bainbridge requested a sample so they could test it. Now that we see it on Akira, where we used a different mat from a different company, we believe it might be the paper.

I have the Stout Star Wars set and there was no discoloration found. Akira, Looper and Star Wars were all hanging in the same room. The only ones affected were the ones printed on cream stock paper. I would like to be able to test the paper, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I know there are pens that can test the pH of paper, but 1.) I'm not sure if that is what needs to be tested and 2.) those tests will potentially damage the paper so a sample would be required.

I don't know where to go from here. Is this a cream stock paper issue in general or is it the paper that Mondo uses? I have a variant Stout Guardians. If I frame it there is a VERY strong chance of the same thing happening. If I don't use mats not only do I think it doesn't look as nice but now the ink is resting on the glass. Do I even bother with prints on cream stock then? Akira was never going anywhere. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't care what happens to the print once I framed it. A big part of matting these things was to protect them. I would love to get to the bottom of this. Despite some feedback and a couple of theories the Looper discussion didn't really go anywhere. If this is a paper issue, would attempting to contact Mondo about it make a difference in how they approach prints in the future? Would they or any of the artists be willing to test the paper? If there is a simpler answer please post."
Wow that is a major bummer Luminous. You raise a troubling question, one I unfortunately have no answer to as this is the first I've seen of this. I can say that I have a couple Stout's on cream paper that are framed myself so you've got me thinking.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #1002
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Relax. He's talking about the Alien print.
That makes A LOT more sense.

My bad, Rob.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:17 AM   #1003
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Wow that is a major bummer Luminous. You raise a troubling question, one I unfortunately have no answer to as this is the first I've seen of this. I can say that I have a couple Stout's on cream paper that are framed myself so you've got me thinking.
It's frustrating to say the least. I am trying to get to the bottom of this situation. If no one has any answers over at EB I am hoping to at least get the attention of Mondo or at least the artists who use the paper.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 AM   #1004
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Hope you don't mind but I moved this discussion. Felt more appropriate being here and this way we'll avoid further confusion as others talk about new Mondo releases.

Back to the subject at hand.. I'm wondering how many this has happened to but they aren't aware due to once a print is framed it generally stays that way?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #1005
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Hope you don't mind but I moved this discussion. Felt more appropriate being here and this way we'll avoid further confusion as others talk about new Mondo releases.
Don't worry. I thought this was the best place but I was concerned this one didn't get enough traffic.

Quote:
Back to the subject at hand.. I'm wondering how many this has happened to but they aren't aware due to once a print is framed it generally stays that way?
Exactly. While those who have no plans of removing their prints from their framing might not be concerned, what is the point on spending the extra cash on mats if it's going to do this to the print? I love the presentation of mats, but if it's going to damage the print it makes little sense to do it.

Here is the thread I created about Akira:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewt...?f=32&t=150156

You may notice it's not in the framing section. It sure is getting a lot of attention though.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #1006
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I wonder if some sort of spacer would be a feasible option? Obviously with your Akira and Looper this means little as the damage is already done.

EDIT: just clicked on the link and see the first few posts recommended the same thing.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #1007
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

God, some of those guys are d-bags.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #1008
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I wonder if some sort of spacer would be a feasible option? Obviously with your Akira and Looper this means little as the damage is already done.
Yeah, someone suggested that. While I have zero experience with spacers, I never really considered them because I thought they would leave impressions/indentations on the paper over time. Then there is the downside of not having nice mats. Could both mats and spacers be used? I'll have to ask my framer about spacers.

Quote:
God, some of those guys are d-bags.
Oh I know. Thankfully I am always prepared for such douchery from those people. Still, it's the best source for this type of thing. I had to bring it to their attention.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:55 AM   #1009
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:

Oh I know. Thankfully I am always prepared for such douchery from those people. Still, it's the best source for this type of thing. I had to bring it to their attention.
Yup, EB can be the worst. Sorry about your issue with the frames Luminous. I wonder if factors like humidity could also play a role in this.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #1010
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
I would like to be able to test the paper, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I know there are pens that can test the pH of paper, but 1.) I'm not sure if that is what needs to be tested and 2.) those tests will potentially damage the paper so a sample would be required.
I remember this problem. I recall we concluded that it wasn't sunlight damage. Did you test the mat and assure that it was acid free? My thought was something had acid and was causing a reaction. If you are sure the mat is acid free perhaps get the pH level. Then you can almost guess that it's the paper Mondo is using.

I saw the posts from people on EB saying that it might reverse in air. But I've never seen color change from acid turn back like that.

Find a poster/paper preservation company. They can test probably the back edge of the print.

I'm not an expert, but part of me thinks it's the mat. With the acid examples I've seen, the item that's acid free or that has a buffer of some kind usually pulls the acid out of the item. It could change color over time. The fact that the print has the color change and not the mat (at least that I can remember) tells me that it's the mat.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote