Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #11
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

This is a little disappointing for me.

Still looks pretty good, but it was my most anticipated PO based on the concept art. Now I have to see more.

I'm sure it'll look great with the paint app, but it's not the definitive costume(maybe... depending on how they handle the piping) and base I would have wanted from a 1:3. The concept art was.

I agree about the musculature. Tone it down. The suit isn't vacuum-packed. Other than that, I think the sculpt is very well done.

Hopefully they don't go crazy with different shades of red, and making different swatches of color/texture with the paint app.

Legendary Beast, please go back to the prior base design, with the sphere/shield effect. I believe that makes for a better representation in 1:3. This satellite would have been a better option for a 1:4.

To end on a positive - I like that the helmet, cape, gauntlets, shin guards seem to have retained a fairly classic design.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I'm not a fan of that base and he is crazy shredded. It looks like he is more muscular than their 1/3 Thor.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
There is some strange vertical striping on the torso of the suit. And why is the cape bunch up under the metal collar? The incorrect cape attachment is the same ridiculous mistake SS made. What’s so hard about the upper body of Magneto to get correct?

I’m happy there are fans of this statue. I’m just not understanding what you love about it. More so when you see the other two 1:3 being total aces. Help me see what you see
It’s classic magneto.
Adjustments and paint app will be the tell all. But the potential once it’s finished.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:04 AM   #14
RisingPhoenix
Frackin!

Thanks for feedback everyone. In regards to questions raised I will give a quick bit of info :

This is Jim lee referenced magneto. So the costume is pulled from that classic new x-men arc (which all should know & love). The belt design is classic magneto and represents that style of that era.

For anyone who was a comic collector back in the day, they would have picked up the base is a representation of the destroyed satellite in that asteroid m arc. It’s just a artistic visualisation to represent it. We try & give something different on bases as I believe sentinel is done to death (and most likely people would complain “another sentinel base!....) if we went that route.

This piece is also looking at an option to have magnetic aura representing mags power. Just trying to bring something not done before.

In person I believe this piece has amazing presence & detail. There are multiple head swap outs & even hand and arm swap out. We understood it’s being judge based on limited visualisation but I’m sure you will be more than happy when you see the full customisation.

Great to hear feedback as always guys. Now onto paints!!
RisingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #15
DLMEsquire44
The Spirit

I already have the XM White Magneto and the Sideshow Ex, so I'm Magneto'ed out! I'll have to pass, but I'm leaning towards Thor. And I wish I could find one of those Cap America...
DLMEsquire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #16
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
There is some strange vertical striping on the torso of the suit. And why is the cape bunch up under the metal collar? The incorrect cape attachment is the same ridiculous mistake SS made. What’s so hard about the upper body of Magneto to get correct?

I’m happy there are fans of this statue. I’m just not understanding what you love about it. More so when you see the other two 1:3 being total aces. Help me see what you see
I agree about the chest plate. Not sure how people can get that wrong when Bowen and action figures for years have gotten it right.

The stripes on the torso are supposed to be there though. Just like Spidey’s webpits it’s a detail I love about his costume but not every artist draws them in.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #17
Peedi
The Secret Six

Was this the inspiration? Or merely coincidence?

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix View Post
Thanks for feedback everyone. In regards to questions raised I will give a quick bit of info :

This is Jim lee referenced magneto. So the costume is pulled from that classic new x-men arc (which all should know & love). The belt design is classic magneto and represents that style of that era.

For anyone who was a comic collector back in the day, they would have picked up the base is a representation of the destroyed satellite in that asteroid m arc. It’s just a artistic visualisation to represent it. We try & give something different on bases as I believe sentinel is done to death (and most likely people would complain “another sentinel base!....) if we went that route.

This piece is also looking at an option to have magnetic aura representing mags power. Just trying to bring something not done before.

In person I believe this piece has amazing presence & detail. There are multiple head swap outs & even hand and arm swap out. We understood it’s being judge based on limited visualisation but I’m sure you will be more than happy when you see the full customisation.

Thank you for the info. That sounds like a lot of great options.

I hope the magnetic aura comes to fruition...but why did you opt for something other than the aura/rocky base of the concept art? I think a simpler option works for larger scale statues, plus I don't think you can blame one for that expectation, considering your prior 1:3s, i.e. fairly subdued. This satellite especially, is sort of obnoxiously large, and distracting.

The magnetic aura option you mention - would that be an add-on for the statue shown? Or would it attach to create a new base, sans the satellite?

I suppose you're past the design stage to the point of no return, but if by chance you aren't, might I suggest that if you do include the aura, that it cuts off some (the top 1/3?) of the satellite, not unlike the Terminator time sphere:

Basically, nothing would be within the sphere except Magneto.

Thanks for listening. Regardless, I look forward to seeing the paint app!
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #19
Featherfootdave
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix View Post

So nice to get some insight on your thoughts regarding these pieces - wish that was a more common practice among manufacturers - good on you LBS
Featherfootdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Yep, I knew right away it was from Asteroid M. Yea me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
It’s classic magneto.
Adjustments and paint app will be the tell all. But the potential once it’s finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
It's my mistake for not being more clear what I meant about the striping. It's less like they are indented (like the comics) and more like raised piping on the statue's suit. Less like the seams where something is stitched together and more like a decorative twist. THAT'S the design I'm not understanding.

Regardless of those stripes, the collar/cape attachment is incorrect. Not sure why that's the case because for the modern Magneto on Throne, it's correct and actually attached to the piece.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote