Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
tonytiger
The X-Men

Question Collecting Hot Toys

I'm new to collecting and have 8 new Hot Toys predators so far but I'm a little torn about them. I just like my statue's little better. Sometimes feel I like should just sell them and buy more statues.My question to you collectors of both do you feel sometimes like this? Is this normal or should I just get rid of them. thanks
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ttrobocop310/library/
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

That's a lot of HT predators, and predators are all very similar.
Perhaps sell some off and maybe other Hot Toys subjects could replace some of them.
I look at things this way, I collect characters that interest me, mostly I have statues but a Hot Toy or an action figure are just as good to collect if they are an appealing representation of a character I like. Don't worry if it's a statue or not. Sometimes I think the Hot Toy of certain characters is better than statues.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I find that Hot Toys capture movie/TV character likenesses much better than statues (That was until Tweeterhead started producing statues). I have the classic predator (which was enough for me as I only thought the first movie was worthwhile). I have the Dark Knight Batman, Michael Keaton Batman, 66 Batman/Robin, Avengers Thor, Cap, IM, BW, Loki. I should have sold the Sideshow Terminator PFs and kept the Hot Toys Terminators but too late.

I like both, 1/6 scale and statues. Get what you like and don't second guess yourself. You may miss something you would have really liked.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
demonhunter
Kingpin

I collect both Hot Toys and SideShow statues.

To me, whichever is aesthetic and has high quality of craftsmanship, I would add to my collection. I admire them.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Deedzy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
I collect both Hot Toys and SideShow statues.

To me, whichever is aesthetic and has high quality of craftsmanship, I would add to my collection. I admire them.
Very true. What your collection consists of is a personal thing but I have a mix of 1/6, statues and replica props plus studio scale vehicles and I think it works well.
Deedzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

I sold my hot toys collection a year ago...and I collect 1:2 scale and 1:4 statues..But every time Hot Toys brought out an awesome fig I wished never sold.....I recently started my collection back up two weeks ago with hot toys and I couldn't be happier ...I've also learned its sometimes how you display them that totally changes your mind sometimes
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #7
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

I started with Statues and only dipped my toe in the hot toys water, but with prices being where they are, and not really wanting 1/4 in certain characters, I am getting drawn more to Hot Toys and 1/6 in general of late. It's not like you have to put them side by side on the shelf. I think both are great, and for me, both have a place at the table.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Markhatestoys
Justice League

The thing about Hot Toys is, they do the best likenesses in the business, hands down. If you're looking for a piece that depends on capturing the likeness of a specific actor or actress, Hot Toys will do it better than anyone. Their Christopher Reeve Superman is the perfect example. The Hot Toys figure looks like they hit Christopher Reeve with a shrink ray in 1978. Compare that to any other Christopher Reeve attempt by any other company and the other company will be found lacking.

The Reeve Superman was, in fact, the figure that got me to decide to collect Hot Toys. I still buy statues, but not for characters where a specific likeness is important.
Markhatestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I've never owned a Hot Toys figure, but what you said is exactly how I felt about action figures after I started getting into statues. I started collecting again with some figures but when I started with my first statue I never looked back lol.

And I agree that the likeness is way better with Hot Toys compared to statues (Blitzway's Bruce Lee being an exception), I don't collect movie statues so it really isn't a problem for me.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote